In his end of the season teleconference with local reporters on Wednesday, Bruce Arena confirmed that the LA Galaxy are working to bring Brazilian midfielder Juninho back for the 2013 season.
Juninho re-joined the LA Galaxy in February on a year-long loan from his hometown club São Paulo FC after returning the Brazilian giants briefly following the 2011 season. The 23-year-old Brazilian's third season with the Galaxy -- all three coming while on loan -- was undoubtedly his finest yet as he started in 30 of his 32 appearances while tallying seven goals and four assists during the regular season. In the postseason, he remained incredibly effective for LA, starting five of his six appearances while notching two assists.
With David Beckham already gone for the 2013 season, keeping Juninho remains a high priority for Arena as well as AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke.
"We've been working on that for awhile," said Arena. "We'll keep working on it, we're hopeful that we can bring him back."
During a conference call with L.A.-based reporters, LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena stated that he does not expect midfielder Christian Wilhelmsson or forward Chad Barrett back for the 2013 season.
Wilhelmsson made nine appearances for the Galaxy in regular season and postseason play, tallying one goal and one assist. The Swedish midfielder was not at present at the club's championship celebration on Monday to tend to his pregnant wife Oksana in Sweden.
"I don't expect Wilhelmsson to be back," said Arena on Wednesday. "He has other options that he wants to look at."
Meanwhile, Barrett was among the six players -- Brian Perk, Bryan Jordan, Kyle Nakazawa, Pat Noonan, Andrew Boyens being the others -- who were made available for the Re-Entry Draft process. Arena stated that Barrett, who has been on loan with Norwegian club Valerenga since late-July would not return, but the door remained open for the other five players made available for the Re-Entry Draft.
"We will not be re-signing Barrett for sure," said Arena. "The others, we will remain in conversation with and see if we can work it out with them. My advice to a number of them is to go through the first phase of the Re-Entry Draft positions you to be in a more favorable position in all honesty."
Arena also confirmed that he anticipates that some players that were made available for the Re-Entry Draft process may pull out of the draft before the Thursday deadline at 2 p.m. PT.
Bruce Arena confirmed in his end of the season teleconference with reporters that the club will be signing defender Oscar Sorto.
“Oscar Sorto will be signed. He'll be part of our club in 2013," said Arena. "Oscar will be signed, we want to sign Oscar.”
The 18-year-old outside back from South Central Los Angeles has made seven starts for the LA Galaxy Under-18s this season tallying three goals. Sorto has been training with the Galaxy first team since August and was a regular on LA’s MLS Reserve League Western Division champion team making six appearances for the squad. Sorto also received some experience abroad earlier this year when he trained with Swedish club Hammarby IK for a week in August.
During the teleconference, Arena said that "possibly" other Homegrown targets could be signed. Arena also stated that "no decisions made" on midfielder Raul Mendiola and confirmed that the club remains interested in Cal State-Bakersfield forward Gyasi Zardes.
A couple of thoughts from several LA Galaxy players that spoke at last night's Championship Celebration.
*Robbie Keane, on any potential offseason loan: "I haven't even thought of it, to be honest with you. I look forward to a rest now. It's been a long season for me, I've played a lot of football. It's not certain now. I'll think about it in a couple of weeks."
*Landon Donovan on the Galaxy fans "ten more years chant" : "I don't know if I'll be able to walk in 10 more years, so I don't know what they're thinking. It was nice. I appreciated it."
A few other notes from around the league...
* FC Dallas re-signed center back George John to a multi-year deal on Tuesday. John had previously garnered interest from teams abroad.
*In his end of the season press conference, Houston Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear said that he would not be surprised if Brian Ching came back for his tenth season in MLS. Kinnear also said that there is no word on the extent of forward Calen Carr's injury.
*Philadelphia Union youngster Zach Pfeffer will be going to German club Hoffenheim after a year-long loan agreement was reached.
The LA Galaxy's season ended just days ago, but it's never too soon to start looking at next year.
The Team LA store at The Home Depot Center has already begun selling team polos and rain jackets with the LA Galaxy logo with three stars over the crest. Remember, MLS teams wear a scudetto on the right side of their crest that signifies their status as MLS Cup champions.
Below is a photo that I snapped of the logo on a polo. A photo of the logo on a rain jacket can be found on Instagram
This may not be LA Galaxy-related, but the soccer world lost an important person today in 41-year-old former Colombian national team goalkeeper Miguel Calero.
The announcement that Calero had passed away due to complications from cerebral thrombosis -- the most common type of stroke-- came from his longtime club Pachuca on Tuesday afternoon. Calero had been hospitalized since Nov. 26 after suffering cerebral thrombosis at his home in Pachuca, Mexico.
Calero spent 11 years with Pachuca until his retirement in 2011 due to persistent arm injuries. During his time with Pachuca, Calero won three Mexican titles with Los Tuzos (the Gophers) and became well-known to Galaxy fans after helping Pachuca win the 2007 Superliga title over LA. Calero came up large during that penalty shootout numerous times including saving a penalty kick from Landon Donovan to help seal Pachuca's win.
Below is Landon Donovan's Championship Celebration speech.
Below is David Beckham's complete speech from today's LA Galaxy Championship Celebration.
The LA Galaxy declined the options of six players making them eligible for the Re-Entry Draft, a two process draft that begins with stage one on Friday at noon.
LA declined the options of goalkeeper Brian Perk, defenders Andrew Boyens and Bryan Jordan, midfielder Kyle Nakazawa, and forwards Chad Barrett and Pat Noonan.
The Galaxy may have declined their options, but have until 2 p.m. PT on Thursday to renegotiate their deals.That is also the moment when players can opt out of the Re-Entry Draft process.
Following the first stage, teams can once again negotiate with their own Re-Entry draft eligible players from Dec. 7 to Dec. 13 at 2 p.m. PT. The second stage of the Re-Entry draft will take place at Dec. 14 at noon PT. The Galaxy will have the 19th pick in both stages.
If a player is not selected in either stage or re-signed to their club, they will be free agents and available to all clubs.
An absolute MUST WATCH for all LA Galaxy and MLS fans, a fantastic "Matchday: 360" piece from MLSsoccer.com's Scott Riddell.
Check it out below.