Beat

29 March 9:31 pm

CARSON, Calif. – Following LA Galaxy II’s 1-1 draw with Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday, Galaxy II head coach Curt Onalfo spoke to LA Galaxy Insider about the match.

Onalfo’s thoughts on the draw are below.

ONALFO: “We knew going in that they were going to disrupt our rhythm and they did. Every time that we moved forward, there was a foul and they had a great defensive shape which made it really hard on us. In games like that you have to play a bit quicker and play a few negative and square passes to take advantage, but we played too direct. It was a choppy and sloppy game where we lacked sharpness. It was a game where you need to roll up your sleeves and fight, and credit to our guys, that’s what we did. We got a goal and equalized.  It wasn’t a great performance, but one that you learn from in a league like this.”

(On whether he expects more physical game plans from opponents like the one Sacramento played on Saturday…)

ONALFO: “I would think so, it’s all part of it. We have to solve how to deal with these situations better. When I tell the guys to make the game fast, it doesn’t mean to make it hectic, it means that we need to play quickly and make quicker decisions. Those are all easy season things to work through, so it could have been worse. We could have lost the game, but we found a way to get a point and we need to use that as a springboard to learn from and move forward as a group.”

(On the play of Chandler Hoffman…)

ONALFO: “Chandler is a great player. He’s a goal scorer and that’s exactly what he did tonight.”

(On Raul Mendiola’s role in setting up Hoffman’s goal…)

ONALFO: “Raul is a dangerous player. He makes things happen. I’m really pleased with what he’s doing.”

(On Sacramento Republic playing their inaugural match…)

ONALFO: “They’re well-coached. I have a lot of respect for Preki who obviously knows how to do things. They tried to play good soccer and defended very, very well. They competed hard tonight and they’re a good team.” 

28 March 11:19 am

CARSON, Calif. – The LA Galaxy II and Sacramento Republic FC may be new clubs, but head coaches Curt Onalfo and Preki are quite familiar with one another.

The two former MLS managers have faced one another seven times while Onalfo led the Kansas City Wizards and then D.C. United while Preki served as the head coach at Chivas USA before moving to lead Toronto FC. During that span from 2007 to 2010, the pair split their meetings with both men holding a 3-3-1 record in matches against one another.

As MLS bosses the coaching styles could not have been different with Onalfo serving as the attack-minded counterweight to the blunt defensive style of Preki’s teams.

“His teams always play good soccer, they’re always well-organized and they reflect his deep competitive spirit,” Onalfo told LA Galaxy Insider. “The teams are always a reflection of the coach and I’m sure that you can see those qualities in Sacramento.”

To aid in his effort to lead Sacramento through their own inaugural year, Preki enlisted a number of former MLS players including former Chivas USA stalwart Justin Braun as well as several players from the Portland Timbers including goalkeeper Jake Gleeson and Homegrown prodigy Bryan Gallego.

While the Preki-led Sacramento Republic will present a major challenge for Los Dos, the Galaxy II players are confident that they can overcome and earn the team’s second-ever victory.

“They’re going to be a good team. A lot better than what we've seen so far,” said forward Charlie Rugg. “They like to foul in the middle of the field and they’re going to be more physical, but with the way we play, if we move the ball quickly then we can’t really get fouled and they can’t harm us.”

28 March 9:42 am

Add three more LA Galaxy first team players to the contigent at LA Galaxy II.

On Friday, the club announced that they had loaned forward Chandler Hoffman, center back Tommy Meyer and goalkeeper Brian Rowe to the USL Pro affiliate ahead of their match on Saturday against Sacramento Republic FC. Hoffman, Meyer and Rowe were each key components of the Galaxy's 2013 MLS Reserve League side that won the West Division which was coached by current Los Dos boss Curt Onalfo.

The three players join nine other first team players (Jack McBean, Raul Mendiola, Rafael Garcia, Charlie Rugg, Kofi Opare, Kyle Venter, Kenney Walker, Bradford Jamieson IV, and Oscar Sorto) currently with the team. Galaxy II is coming off a thrilling 3-1 victory over the Orange County Blues in their inaugural USL PRO match

 

27 March 5:39 pm

On Thursday, the LA Galaxy announced the formation of the Sports Science department which will encompass the areas of sports medicine, nutrition, sports science as well as strength and conditioning. 

As part of the formation of the program, the Galaxy announced that Head Athletic Trainer Armando Rivas will become the Director of Sports Medicine while new hire Alex Savva -- formerly of Tottenham Hotspur -- will become the Manager of Sports Science.

In this LAGalaxy.com video both men and club President Chris Klein break down what the foundation of the department means for the Galaxy. 

27 March 2:32 pm

CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy will be without defender James Riley for the next six months. 

The Galaxy announced on Thursday that the 31-year-old underwent successful surgery to repair his left lateral meniscus, which will keep him out for  at least six months. The injury occured in the first half of LA's 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake last Saturday as he evaded RSL attacker Ned Grabavoy

With Riley injured, the Galaxy will likely rely upon A.J. DeLaGarza, Todd Dunivant and Dan Gargan to fill in for both outside back positions.

27 March 11:46 am

The LA Galaxy are off this weekend and as a way to recharge their batteries ahead of the long MLS season, the team's Brazilian contigent got into the Samba-spirit after training on Thursday and had a little bit of sing-a-long through the halls of StubHub Center.

Check it out below.

25 March 3:36 pm

CARSON, Calif. -- With James Riley lost to injury, the LA Galaxy will now trust in offseason signing Dan Gargan to add depth to the team's outside back positions.

Gargan was inserted in the 33rd minute of LA's 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake last Saturday after Riley's injury and gave a solid performance along the right side of defense against the defending Western Conference Champions. Now with Riley potentially out for several months due to possible surgery to repair an meniscus injury and A.J. DeLaGarza recovering from a left ankle contusion, Gargan is ready to provide defensive depth.

“I think I've been training well, and I think it was a little but unfortunate with a couple injuries that I had in preseason,” Gargan told reporters on Tuesday, “but I think Bruce has plenty of faith in me to get the job done. Obviously, you never want to see guys go down and it's unfortunate for James ... that's why Bruce put together the roster that he did that is experienced and comfortable playing multiple positions.”

25 March 12:30 pm

CARSON, Calif. – The LA Galaxy received some mixed news regarding their injured defenders A.J. DeLaGarza and James Riley on Tuesday.

Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena told reporters following the team’s training session on Tuesday that DeLaGarza “will be all right” and require a week to get over a left ankle “contusion” that was suffered after a hard challenge from Real Salt Lake forward Alvaro Saborio during the 62nd minute of LA’s 1-1 draw in Salt Lake last week.

However veteran outside back James Riley was not so lucky as Arena stated that the 31-year-old will probably “miss some time” due to a left meniscus injury that will likely require surgery according to the Galaxy boss. The recovery time for a meniscus injury ranges from weeks to several months. Riley went down in the 29th minute of Saturday’s draw while evading a challenge from RSL midfielder Ned Grabavoy.

With Riley injured, the responsibility of filling in at outside back will fall to veteran Dan Gargan, who was solid in relief duty on Saturday.

25 March 11:44 am

CARSON, Calif. – Robbie Rogers can’t hide his frustration from his latest injury that has kept him on the shelf since the start of the season.

Various injuries riddled the midfielder’s 2013 campaign and just weeks into the preseason, the 26-year-old was struck down again this time with what his doctors describe as a “stress reaction” in his left ankle that occurred due to “overuse” during the preseason.

While Rogers admits that his stop-start recovery has been a “frustrating” endeavor, the midfielder is hoping to return to full-timel training and possibly even game action at some point in April.

“It’s been frustrating. The bone is damaged with a stress reaction in left ankle. You move forward, train a day and then have to be out for a few days,” Rogers told reporters on Tuesday.  “I’ve been making progress the past two weeks. Frustrating to have this kind of keep me inside and hold me back. I’ve been making a lot of progress, I think in the next two weeks I can train properly.”

Added Rogers, “It’s been six weeks [since the injury surfaced], I was in a boot for a few weeks and then I started jogging. I felt great today and I did some good running then next week I feel like I should be able to train properly with the team. Then I need to get fit and hopefully play some games with Galaxy II in about three weeks from today. That’s the perfect case scenario.”

Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena didn't offer a  timeline for Rogers' recovery, but stated that he is keeping a keen eye on the midfielder's progress.

“He’s just starting to get back. He’s been out a while,” said Arena. “We’ll see how he moves along over the next couple of weeks.”

But as confident as he is that he can turn the corner, Rogers admits that there is disappointment with the way that his 2014 season has begun.

“It’s tough," said Rogers. "It’s great to be out running, but I have to watch the guys play. I just try to watch games and try to stay in it as much as possible. It’s just frustrating though when you can’t do your job because of health reasons. It just sucks.”

24 March 5:34 pm

CARSON, Calif. – Contests between the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA are always heated even at the academy level, but the claims of a Chivas youth coach last week added extra fuel to the fire.

Prior to the Galaxy’s clean sweep of Chivas’ U-14, U-16 and U-18 sides, Rojiblancos U-14 head coach Brian Kleiban told the club’s official website that he turned down the same gig with LA to replace the departed Greg Vanney who left to lead the Toronto FC Academy.  Kleiban’s side suffered the widest margin of defeat as LA’s U-14’s defeated Chivas 4-0 on Saturday.

Following the match, I spoke to Galaxy Academy Director Peter Vagenas about the results at each age level and the “collaborative” effort ongoing between himself and coaches Mike Munoz and Ante Razov to lead the team in a piece on LAGalaxy.com.  Vagenas later elaborated on the search for what he describes as one of the Academy’s most vital posts.  

“I assure you that I’ve done my due diligence and I’ve spoken to many different people about the possibilities of working with the team. That being said, there’s been a long list of candidates and it’s not something that I take lightly,” Vagenas told LA Galaxy Insider. “I can make an argument that it is as important of an Academy position as there is. In that sense, I’m going through and continuing to make sure that we find the right person.

“I will continue to do so, but I have not yet found the right person,” added Vagenas. “We have unique and high standards for all our coaches in the academy and rather than force a square peg into a round hole, I’d rather exhaust all my options and make sure that we get the right individual to lead our young men.”