The LA Galaxy did not make a selection the first stage of the Re-Entry Draft, but the lone selection came from the Chicago Fire who selected D.C. United forward Maicon Santos.
Santos scored seven goals and tallied three assists in 26 regular season appearances for United while adding a single assist during the postseason. The Re-Entry Draft continues on Dec. 14 at noon.
A few more notes to get you through the day.
*On LAGalaxy.com, check out a complete update of the happenings of the LA Galaxy Academy including a status report from last weekend's Winter Showcase
*The Philadelphia Union have been incredibly active in the last few days acquiring Philly fan favorite Sebastien Le Toux from the New York Red Bulls in exchange for allocation money and the rights to Costa Rican midfielder Josue Martinez. A day later, Philadelphia acquired center back Jeff Parke from Seattle Sounders FC for allocation money and a first round pick in the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft.
*The Chicago Fire re-signed left back Gonzalo Segares to a multi-year deal.
*Columbus Crew re-signed midfielder Tony Tchani to a new deal
*College Cup begins today at 2 p.m. PT with Maryland taking on Georgetown while at 5 p.m. PT Indiana takes on Creighton. We'll have the updated scores from these matches when they conclude.
The Re-Entry Draft process begins on Friday at noon with the first stage of the process and LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena has not eliminated the idea that his may be active in either of the two stages.
The second stage of the process will take place on Dec. 12.
“It’s a possibility,” said Arena. “Historically…for the most part, there are very few selections in Re-Entry one because those contracts have to be optioned. I think that Re-Entry Draft two, I think that gets a little busy.”
A quick glance at the league records shows that Arena is correct as the Galaxy have made just a single selection in stage one of the Re-Entry Draft. In Stage two, however, the Galaxy have been incredibly active in the two seasons since the draft's inception.
In 2010, LA made three selections in stage two, selecting forward Juan Pablo Ángel and then defender Luke Sassano, who was subsquently traded to Sporting Kansas City. A year later, Arena made his first-ever selection in stage one, selecting defender Andrew Boyens before picking up defender Chris Leitch, forward Pat Noonan and goalkeeper Jon Conway in stage two.
Pat Noonan capped off his ninth season in Major League Soccer with his second MLS Cup title and now the veteran forward is evaluating his future.
The 32-year-old's 2012 season was one filled with ups and downs as he rotated in and out of the lineup during the regular season, missing all of June and July due to a right quad strain while making 10 appearances scoring one goal. Noonan's veteran leadership played an important role in all competitions however, as he made three starts in CONCACAF Champions League, six appearances in MLS Reserve League play as well as a single start in the U.S. Open Cup.
“Whether you’re starting, or coming off the bench or not in the 18, it’s still gratifying when you can win a championship,” said Noonan. “It was nice to see everybody contribute from player one to player 30 and stepping in when called upon. It’s nice to see everyone contribute.”
The 32-year-old was placed on the Galaxy's Re-Entry Draft list earlier in the week and will be available for selection in stage one of the Re-Entry Draft which takes place at noon PT on Friday. Noonan came to the Galaxy last season after being selected in stage two of the Re-Entry Draft process.Whether he is selected or not, Noonan is hoping to take time to consider his next step.
“We’ll see. We’ll see how the next few weeks unfold. Over the next couple weeks I’ll decide,” said Noonan. “I’ve played a long time and I’m getting into the years where you start to think about your future outside of soccer, so we’ll see what happens. If playing is the right option, but if not then I’ll think about my family at this point.”
Of the six players made available by the LA Galaxy for the MLS Re-Entry Draft, two players, Brian Perk and Kyle Nakazawa were removed from the list by the 2 p.m. PT roster freeze deadline and are no longer eligible for selection.
Perk had previously told the LA Galaxy Insider that he was optimistic of a return to the Galaxy. The Galaxy's number two goalkeeper made seven starts in all official competitions for LA, going 2-3-2 in net while conceding nine goals with two shutouts—both coming in CONCACAF Champions League. In MLS Reserve League play, Perk made five starts going 1-1-1 record while allowing three goals and earning a single shutout.
Meanwhile, Nakazawa made just five appearances for the Galaxy in 2012 in a season that was riddled with injuries. The 24-year-old midfielder missed the first two games of the season after undergoing a tonsillectomy in late February before injury felled Nakazawa again in June as he suffered a back injury during a Reserve League match on June 12 against Vancouver Whitecaps FC. The injury, which was described as back spasms, ultimately led to his placement on the Season Ending Injury List on Sept. 6
Andrew Boyens, Pat Noonan, Chad Barrett and Bryan Jordan remain available for selection in Friday's Re-Entry Draft which takes place at noon PT.
There were plenty of articles written on David Beckham's impact on MLS over the last few weeks and last week, I spoke to Chinese state television about the impact that the Galaxy midfielder had on Soccer in the United States.
Check it out below...
Major League Soccer announced the details for the 2013 adidas MLS Player Combine and 2013 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday.
The 2013 adidas MLS Players Combine will take place from Jan. 11-15 at Central Broward Regional Park in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The invited players will be split up into four different teams that are led by college and youth coaches. The matches will be played as doubleheaders and Jan. 11, 13 and 15 under the watchful eye of the technical staff from all 19 MLS clubs.
Following the combine, the league will convene in Indianapolis, Ind for the 2013 MLS SuperDraft on Jan. 17 which takes place in conjunction with the National Soccer Coaches of America convention. The draft will begin at 9 a.m. PT. The SuperDraft consists of two rounds and 38 overall selections, with the draft order being in reserve order due to regular season finish. The first nine selections are teams that did not reach the 2012 MLS Cup Playoffs while the remaining 10 spots are clubs eliminated in said playoffs.
A four-round Supplemental Draft will take place following the SuperDraft via conference call on Jan. 23.
Brian Perk was among the six LA Galaxy players made available for the Re-Entry Draft process, but the 23-year-old goalkeeper is hopeful that he’ll be back in 2013.
During Bruce Arena’s end-of-the-year teleconference with local media, the Galaxy head coach admitted that he had conversations with a several of the players made available for the process and Perk revealed that he was one of those players.
However, Perk admitted that while he is optimistic, his return is far from certain.
“We’ve had a couple conversations,” Perk said. “It seems pretty promising so far, but I don’t want to get my hopes up or say something that’s just not true. We should figure it out [soon] or come to terms or see what is going to go on. I do want to stay here because this is my home. It’d be great to stay and extend my deal.”
In seven starts in all official competitions, Perk went 2-3-2 in nets but conceded nine goals with two shutouts—both coming in CONCACAF Champions League. Meanwhile in MLS Reserve League play, Perk made five starts going 1-1-1 record while allowing three goals and earning a single shutout.
Although a number of factors including his salary could determine whether he is back for the 2013 season, the most important thing for Perk is playing time.
“It’s always a numbers game so you just have to weigh your options. There’s also the playing side of it, whether here or somewhere else might be better,” said Perk. “It’s a toss-up; it’s just a decision that has to be made by me. I’ve already spoken to Bruce and we know where we stand. We’re not too far apart at all. So I’d prefer to stay here, but you never know."
But whether he is selected in the Re-Entry Draft by another club or brought back to the Galaxy, Perk plans to spend the offseason honing his craft in search of more minutes in net next season.
"I really need to focus this offseason on physical shape. I think I can gain a couple of things in the gym and really apply that next year. There's a few things I need to work on and the gym is going to help with that. [I need to work on] aerial balls and coming out for crosses, so if I can jump a little bit higher then it will be a little bit easier."
Less than a year after suffering an ACL injury during an offseason training stint with German club Nuremberg that had him worried if he’d return to full effectiveness, Omar Gonzalez was at his very best last Saturday as he helped lead the LA Galaxy to their fourth MLS Cup title.
After a dominating performance that included a goal and saw him become the first defender to win the MLS Cup MVP award, Gonzalez and the Galaxy must now decide the center back’s future as he has just one year remaining on his current contract.
During his end-of-the-season teleconference call with local reporters on Wednesday, Arena divulged that there was no timeline for any potential Gonzalez deal.
“It’s based on if there is an offer there, we have to consider it. The only timeline is that the end of January is the end of the transfer window,” said Arena. “Omar Gonzalez is on our team. We’re not worried about anything until that changes and right now, he’s a member of our team.”
The Galaxy boss also stated there were no current discussions to have any players — including Gonzalez – go on any offseason loans or training stints at the moment.
“Not at the moment,” said Arena. “We’re certainly not going to let Omar go out on a training loan exhibition this time around.”
Following AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke's comments to Sports Illustrated about the LA Galaxy's interest in Real Madrid midfielder Kaká, many have speculated about what it would take to bring the Brazilian international to The Home Depot Center.
The Brazilian addressed the speculation for the first time on Tuesday after Real Madrid's 4-1 win over Ajax in UEFA Champions League play. The match was a rare start for the 30-year-old Brazilian, who also scored a goal and wore in the captain's armband in Real's victory over the Dutch side. Several reports have stated that Real Madrid's President Florentino Perez would like to remove Kaká's 10-million Euros a year salary from the Spanish club's already hefty payroll.
“I have nothing at the moment,” Kaká said of the Galaxy speculation according to ESPN. “I keep doing my work to remain at Madrid. Then, we can see what happens and what the club wants. It is not a comfortable situation for the club or me...I will go if I have an agreement with the club.”
When asked to address Kaká's comments during his end of the season teleconference with local media, Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena chose not to comment on any speculation, rather simply stating that Kaká is a "great player." However, when asked if the Galaxy could afford a player like Kaká, Arena admitted that he will have conversations with ownership about the cost of any potential new acquisitions.
“We can afford whatever, Tim Leiweke and Phil Anschutz say we can afford. Those kinds of decisions really go up the ladder and each situation as it comes our way is evaluated. We have had literally, over the four years I’ve been here, discussions over a couple dozen players and the financial impact that it has on our business. In the case of any player we do that," said Arena on Wednesday. "We don’t discuss acquisitions or transfers or anything of players with other teams. That’s ethically wrong…at this point in time; I’m not going to have a public opinion of one player over the other unless those players are free agents."
In his end of the season teleconference with local reporters on Wednesday, Bruce Arena confirmed that the LA Galaxy are working to bring Brazilian midfielder Juninho back for the 2013 season.
Juninho re-joined the LA Galaxy in February on a year-long loan from his hometown club São Paulo FC after returning the Brazilian giants briefly following the 2011 season. The 23-year-old Brazilian's third season with the Galaxy -- all three coming while on loan -- was undoubtedly his finest yet as he started in 30 of his 32 appearances while tallying seven goals and four assists during the regular season. In the postseason, he remained incredibly effective for LA, starting five of his six appearances while notching two assists.
With David Beckham already gone for the 2013 season, keeping Juninho remains a high priority for Arena as well as AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke.
"We've been working on that for awhile," said Arena. "We'll keep working on it, we're hopeful that we can bring him back."