Friday was a busy one for the club as they acquired the rights to midfielder Colin Clark and goalkeeper William Hesmer while trading Edson Buddle to the Colorado Rapids for allocation money and a 2013 first round supplemental draft pick. But the day began with the club trading a 2013 international roster spot and the club’s natural first round draft pick in the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft to Chivas USA for the second selection in Stage Two of the Re-Entry Draft, which they used to select Clark.
With midfielders David Beckham and Christian Wilhelmsson already departed and Landon Donovan’s status still up in the air, Arena admitted that Clark’s selection is part of a plan to add depth to the club's midfield.
“That’s an area where we've got to focus on and add some depth to a number of positions there,” said Arena. “At the same, I feel pretty good where we’re at and we’re going to move forward and try to improve everything.”
Hesmer’s selection in the second round of Stage Two could have some impact on the current status of goalkeeper Josh Saunders, who is still currently out of contract. Prior to missing the entire 2012 season after undergoing a hip procedure in April, Hesmer served as the Columbus Crew’s number one ‘keeper for five years helping the team win two Supporters’ Shields (2008-2009) and one MLS Cup (2008).
However, the Galaxy remain in conversations with Saunders to, potentially, bring him back for 2013.
“We’re communicating,” Arena said. “And we haven’t resolved anything contractually.”
Two of the four Galaxy players available for selection in Stage Two were selected as Chad Barrett was chosen with the fourth overall pick to the New England Revolution while defender Bryan Jordan was selected in the third round by the San Jose Earthquakes. Meanwhile, Pat Noonan and Andrew Boyens were not selected, but Arena has not closed the door on either of those two returning next season.
“I’m sure that we’ll have some dialogue,” said Arena. “No decisions have been made at this time.”
Nearly an hour after the draft’s completion, the Galaxy dealt away Buddle for allocation money and a supplemental selection in a move that was described by Arena as primarily due to salary cap concerns. Although the amount of allocation money that LA received is not public information, Arena shed some light on the club’s current salary cap situation.
“Certainly, we don’t divulge publicly where we stand with the salary cap,” said Arena. “But there’s not a team in the league that would tell you that they could use more [allocation money] given the circumstances but having said that, we’re in pretty good shape.”
Apart from Friday's madness surrounding the Re-Entry Draft, Arena told reporters that the club is “close” to reaching an agreement with goalkeeper Brian Perk, who reportedly agreed to terms with the club and opted out of the Re-Entry Draft Process earlier in the week. The same cannot be said about midfielder Kyle Nakazawa, who also opted out of the process, but according to Arena, nothing has been resolved at the moment.
The Galaxy head coach and general manager also reiterated that the club remain in contact with Homegrown target and CSU-Bakersfield forward Gyasi Zardes about a potential Homegrown contract.
“There’s continued discussions with the people that represent him," said Arena. "We’re working to see if that’s something that can come to closure.”
Edson Buddle is on his way to the Colorado Rapids.
The LA Galaxy announced on Friday that they have traded the 31-year-old forward to the Rapids in exchange for Colorado’s first round MLS Supplemental draft pick and allocation money. The move comes after the Galaxy acquired the rights to Colin Clark and William Hesmer in Stage Two of the Re-Entry Draft.
Buddle re-joined the Galaxy in February after a brief stop with German second division club Ingolstadt 04. The forward was limited to just 25 appearances in all competitive competitions during the 2012 season after undergoing right knee surgery in May. The U.S. World Cup veteran also made a pair of appearances during LA’s 2011-2012 CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals defeat to Toronto FC in March.
Buddle ended his 2012 season with three goals and a single assist.
The LA Galaxy made two selections in Friday’s Stage Two of the Re-Entry Draft.
LA selected midfielder Colin Clark in the first round of Stage Two and later picked up goalkeeper William Hesmer in stage two before ending their Re-Entry Draft in round three.
After trading up for the second pick in Stage Two, the Galaxy acquired Clark formerly of the Houston Dynamo. A versatile midfielder who can play on either flank, Clark made 14 appearances for the Dynamo in the regular season with a single goal.
A round later, the Galaxy picked up Hesmer, a veteran goalkeeper who has spent his last six seasons with the Columbus Crew. Hesmer missed the entire 2012 season after undergoing a hip procedure in April. Prior to his injury, Hesmer was Crew's number one goalkeeper for five seasons helping the club win their lone MLS Cup in 2008 and Supporters' Shields in 2008 and 2009.
Only two of the four LA Galaxy players available for selection in the Re-Entry Draft was selected as forward Chad Barrett was picked in the first round by the New England Revolution and right back Bryan Jordan was picked up by the San Jose Earthquakes in the third round.
The Galaxy will now have seven days to make a genuine offer to Hesmer and Clark. Even if an agreement cannot be reached, LA will still hold the right of first refusal for the two players.
The LA Galaxy have prepared themselves to be active in the Stage Two of the MLS Re-Entry Draft.
On Friday, the Galaxy announced that they have acquired the number two position in Stage Two of the Re-Entry Draft from Chivas USA in exchange for the club’s natural first round supplemental pick, an international roster spot and the number 19 position in stage two of the Re-Entry Draft.
Stage Two of the Re-Entry Draft will take place at noon PT.
My player evaluations for LAGalaxy.com kicked off on Thursday evening with third goalkeeper Brian Rowe and defender Leonardo.
The player evaluations start with the players that played in the fewest number of games and end with those that made the most appearances during the 2012 season. Rowe did not make a single appearance in a competitive competition for the LA Galaxy in 2012 while Leonardo made just one in the U.S. Open Cup defeat to the Carolina Railhawks in May.
The complete schedule for the evaluations can be found here.
Below you can find my evaluations for Rowe and Leonardo.
Agree or disagree?
Share your thoughts below.
The LA Galaxy will get another opportunity to bolster their squad for the 2013 season during Stage Two of MLS' Re-Entry Draft which will take place Friday at noon PT.
On Thursday, MLS released the updated list of players available for the Re-Entry Draft. Just one player was selected during Stage One last week as out-of-contract forward Maicon Santos was selected by the Chicago Fire. Four players who were on the LA Galaxy last season (Chad Barrett, Andrew Boyens, Bryan Jordan, and Pat Noonan) remain available for selection. Two others, Kyle Nakazawa and Brian Perk were removed from the list earlier in the week.
Last week, during his end of the season teleconference, Galaxy head coach and general manger Bruce Arena discussed his thoughts on the Re-Entry Draft and admitted that he expects clubs to be active in the second stage.
Over the last four years, Mike Magee has risen from role player to near-cult hero status with the LA Galaxy faithful, but now the club must decide whether or not to bring back the versatile attacker and by all indications, both sides are working hard to keep him at The Home Depot Center.
Magee ended the 2012 regular season with five goals and four assists in 29 appearances. But true to his reputation for clutch goals, Magee ramped up his production in the postseason with three goals and an assist while starting all six postseason matches.
During his end of the season teleconference call earlier in the month, Galaxy head coach and general manager Bruce Arena told reporters that the club had issued an a bona fide offer to the out-of-contract 28-year-old attacker.
This development has to please Magee, who recently spoke about how much he has enjoyed his last four years as a member of the Galaxy.
“I love it here, my agent Richard Motzkin would probably be pissed if I spoke about it, but I love it here,” Magee recently told the LA Galaxy Insider. “No matter what happens, whether they don’t want me back or things don’t work out, these have been probably the best four years of my life.”
Even though the wheels already in motion to bring him back to the Galaxy for a fifth season, the veteran admits that there’s no sense in stressing over his future or the future of the club.
“One thing that you learn in this league is right when you think things are normal, they turn out to different,” said Magee. “I think that this year more than most, there are so many uncertainties, but I think in the next couple of weeks there will be a clearer picture.”
My LA Galaxy player evaluations will be on the website by this evening, but if you're curious about my schedule then please take a look at the complete schedule below. These evaluations will be on a "Four Star" scale. The highest rating will be four stars with the lowest rating being a score of zero.
Check out the schedule below...
DEC. 13 – ROWE/LEONARDO
DEC. 14 – CARDOZO/CRISTMAN
DEC. 15 –KEAT/MCBEAN
DEC. 31—Galaxy coaching staff
Three LA Galaxy Homegrown players and one member of the club’s Academy set up were called into the United States Under-20 team for an upcoming camp in Florida on Thursday afternoon.
Jack McBean, Oscar Sorto and Jose Villarreal were named to the squad by U.S. U-20 boss Tab Ramos as well as UCLA and Galaxy Academy defender Javan Torre. The group will depart on Friday for the camp which will take place from Dec. 15-22 in Sunrise, Fla and then return to Los Angeles on Sunday.
Villarreal and Torre were called into the recent Marbella Cup which took place in October, but the call up will be the first for McBean and Sorto under Ramos.
“I never thought that I was going to get called up to the national team and [Tab Ramos] called me up and said that he likes the way that I play and that he expects a lot from me," said Sorto. "Right now, I’m training so I can go to Florida and do my best. It’s great because I know that [the national team] is looking at me. It’s going to be fun.”
Also called up to the team is former Galaxy Academy player Mario Rodriguez, who joined German club FC Kaiserslautern last summer.
Below is the complete Under-20 roster...
GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton FC; Maple Grove, Minn.), Tomas Gomez (Georgetown; Webster Groves, Mo.), Kendall McIntosh (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa, Calif.)
DEFENDERS (6): Dakota Edwards (Maryland; Sayville, N.Y.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (Unattached; Riverside, Calif.), Boyd Okwuonu (North Carolina; Edmund, Okla.), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Javan Torre (UCLA; Santa Monica, Calif.)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Benji Joya (Santos Laguna; San Jose, Calif.), Mikey Lopez (North Carolina; Mission, Texas), Collin Martin (Wake Forest; Chevy Chase, Md.), Daniel Metzger (Maryland; Holmdel, N.J.), Marc Pelosi (Liverpool FC; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Caleb Stanko (SC Freiburg; Holly, Mich.), Wil Trapp (Akron; Gahanna, Ohio)
FORWARDS (7): Brandon Allen (Georgetown; Old Bridge, N.J.), Daniel Cuevas (Santos Laguna; Sacramento, Calif.), Daniel Garcia (North Carolina; Dallas, Texas), Darius Madison (Virginia; Philadelphia, Pa.), Jack McBean (LA Galaxy; Newport Beach, Calif.), Mario Rodriguez (1. FC Kaiserslautern; North Hollywood, Calif.), Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)
U.S. International Clint Dempsey was named as Fútbol de Primera's 2012 Player of the Year on Wednesday.
The 29-year-old Tottenham Hotspur midfielder defeated Roma midfielder Michael Bradley and Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard who finished second and third respectively. Dempsey also took home the honors in 2011.
The award is voted on by 183 journalists from the United States and presented by the Spanish-language radio station which is affiliated with legendary broadcaster Andres Cantor. The award has recognized the best U.S. men's national team player every year for the past 22 years. To be eligible for the honor a player must have played in a minimum of three games for the U.S. team during a calendar year. No player has won the honor -- which was formerly known as the Honda Player of the Year award -- more than Galaxy captain Landon Donovan, who has taken the award a record seven times.
In other news....
*Chivas USA announced on Wednesday that Mexican head coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola also known as "El Chelis" will manage the club for the 2013 season. Chivas will be the fourth stop in the well-traveled career of the eccentric 53-year-old head coach. Chivas also swapped allocation spots with the Portland Timbers, trading their second spot in MLS' Allocation order for the third spot and a potential International spot or a second round selection the 2013 MLS SuperDraft should Portland acquire one.
*Portland didn't stop there as the Timbers acquired forward Ryan Johnson and goalkeeper Milos Kocic from Toronto FC in exchange for the third overall pick in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft, goalkeeper Joe Bednik and an undisclosed sum of allocation money.
*Sporting KC continued their offseason overhaul by acquiring defender Ike Opara from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for the club's natural second round draft pick in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft.
*The Houston Dynamo locked up four pieces of their back-to-back Eastern Conference Champion side by announcing contract extensions for midfielders Brad Davis and Adam Moffat as well as goalkeepers Tally Hall and Tyler Deric,
*The Montreal Impact re-signed veteran midfielder Justin Mapp.
*Lastly, below is a video of the Mayor of Houston Annise Parker wearing her Galaxy uniform after losing a bet with L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaragosa.