CARSON, Calif. – Is LA Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez bound for the U.S. National Team’s squad for the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup? Maybe, but maybe not.
Following Tuesday's 1-0 victory over Costa Rica, which completed Group C play, U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has 24 hours to make as many as four changes to his squad and select any of the players, who were placed on his 35-man preliminary roster. One of the potential players who may get the call is Gonzalez, who has become a regular in the U.S. back four this year.
Reporters asked Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena if he was aware of an impending call for Gonzalez and the LA boss admitted that “he hasn’t been called up.”
When the same question was posed to Gonzalez, he too seemed to believe that he would not earn the call.
“I haven’t heard anything lately. [LA Galaxy club President] Chris Klein has told me that he doesn’t think that they’re going to call me in. As of right now, I’m here with the Galaxy,” said Gonzalez.” I wish the U.S. all the best going forward, I want them to win the tournament, and [their eight-game winning] streak alive.”
The official announcement of the four changes to the squad is expected on Thursday morning.
CARSON, Calif. –The LA Galaxy embarked upon a new venture on Tuesday, with the creation of an Under-23 side which the club hopes will give minutes to their top current Academy products and Homegrown eligible college players.
The U-23’s played the first game of their existence on Tuesday against Shenfield, a team from Essex in England, and easily overpowered the side with a 4-0 win.
To date, the team is not part of any organized league, but will play until the end of Summer. When asked about the new team, Technical Director Jovan Kirovski, who has been spearheading the initiative, explained the rationale behind it.
“We’re looking for a place we can evaluate where our Homegrown college kids and have a training environment for them in the offseason,” Kirovski told LA Galaxy Insider. “It’s something where we’re looking for the possibilities of being a USL team. That means that we could sign kids earlier, it should serve as a stepping stone to our first team.
“We can also have our young academy kids go through there,” Kirovski added. “We had some of our U-18’s who played last year play [on Tuesday] as well as some of the U-16’s, we also had college kids, so it’s a chance to for us to keep track of them. It’s great for these young kids to have a place to play and maybe, one day, play in our first team.”
The age range of the team is from 15 to 21 and some of the players that took part on Tuesday included: current academy standout Jaime Villarreal as well as academy graduate Javan Torre. Also participating were UCLA midfielder Grady Howe and Under-18 forward Steve Martinez, who each scored a goal. Joining the team were new faces Adonis Amaya, Ryo Fujji, Bradford Jamieson, Malcolm Jones, and Jeff Quezada.
Landon Donovan earned his 52nd assist for the U.S. National Team on Brek Shea's goal as the U.S. defeated Costa Rica 1-0 in the final match in Group C.
Shea scored in 82nd minute off a lovely pass from Donovan to seal the victory and the group for the U.S.
Following the match, U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann told reporters that he is planning to make some changes to his squad and is already in contact with clubs about the release of players. Klinsmann has 24 hours to select any player that was placed on the 35-man preliminary roster -- which includes Omar Gonzalez -- ahead the Americans' quarterfinal match up against El Salvador at MT&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md. on Sunday.
As for what Gonzalez believes? He told reporters following Tuesday's training session that he had not heard anything from Klinsmann yet, but he could "possibly" be headed for U.S. duty.
Do you expect Gonzalez to go join the U.S.?
Share your thoughts below...
CARSON, Calif. -- Fans will have a chance to see Real Madrid and Everton train ahead of the Guinness International Champions Cup doubleheader at Dodger Stadium.
The training will take place on August 2 at StubHub Center and tickets range from $35 dollars to $275 dollars with all proceeds going to the LA Galaxy Foundation.
CARSON, Calif. – Bruce Arena revealed on Tuesday that LA Galaxy captain Robbie Keane is suffering from a hip injury, but the extent of that issue is unknown.
Keane left Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to the Portland Timbers in the 79th minute with what NBC Sports Sideline Analyst Kyle Martino prognosticated was a left hip flexor. (UPDATE 7/17/2013: Keane did not train on Wednesday either and Arena confirmed that it was a hip flexor. The Galaxy boss stated that he'll be evaluated "day by day, week by week."
The Irish forward was scheduled to participate in Sunday’s Showdown match for the Steve Nash Foundation, but did not play despite attending the event. Keane was not present for the portion of Tuesday’s training session that was open to the media.
LA Galaxy forward Robbie Keane joined center back Omar Gonzalez as the club’s two representatives on the 20-man roster for the 2013 MLS All-Star Game.
Keane was named to the squad by Sporting Kansas City manager Peter Vermes on Monday in a league conference call. The selection is Keane’s second of his MLS career. Vermes will lead the MLS All-Stars against Italian giants AS Roma on July 31st at Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan.. The complete list of players can be found here.
Not on the squad is LA forward Landon Donovan, snapping a 12-year streak on the MLS All-Star team.
Game Notes from LA Galaxy 1-0 Reserve League victory over Portland Timbers: Possible broken nose for Brian Perk
PORTLAND, Ore. -- A few notes from Sunday's LA Galaxy 1-0 reserves victory over the Portland Timbers reserves.
*Goalkeeper Brian Perk left Sunday's match with an apparent face injury and following the game, Galaxy assistant and reserve team head coach Curt Onalfo stated that 23-year-old may have broken his nose.
"He got kicked pretty good in the face. It looks like he may have broken his nose and he had a little bit of blurriness in his eye, so the doctor decided that he couldn't continue," said Onalfo. "Two games in a row where he's had to come out of the game, so it's unfortunate. He's playing well and he's got to be frustrated, but it's part of the game, and he'll ge through it."
*Laurent Courtois continued his training stint with the Galaxy on Sunday with a 45 minute shift for the reserves. I spoke to him after the match.
*LA's reserves return to action next Monday with a match against Chivas USA at StubHub Center.
Below is Villarreal's classy finish.
Laurent Courtois goes 45 minutes in LA Galaxy Reserve League victory and is hopeful of a permanent deal
PORTLAND, Ore.—A week into his training stint with the LA Galaxy, Laurent Courtois made his reserve team debut by going 45 minutes in LA’s 1-0 victory over the Portland Timbers on Sunday, and is hopeful that he can turn it into a permanent deal.
Throughout the match, the 34-year-old midfielder was active going forward as he repeatedly pressured the Timbers defense. Courtois nearly got on the board just moments after coming on, but had his shot cleared off the line.
Although he couldn’t get on the board, Courtois was pleased with his performance on Sunday.
“I’m happy to get my first 45 minutes with the reserves and overall, I thought that it was pretty okay,” Courtois told LA Galaxy Insider. I tried to be me and provide width and depth. I tried to give service and hold the ball in midfield while also helping the outside back on defense. I tried to do my best and I think that we did a good job.”
On Sunday, the Frenchman drew considerable praise from reserve team boss Curt Onalfo and midfielder Pablo Mastroeni.
“I thought that he did a good job,” said Onalfo. “He nearly scored in his first touch of the game and stepped in, and did a solid job for us.”
“He’s a player that brings a lot of calm to the game when it’s really hectic; he took the sting out of it. He looks to shoot and gets into dangerous positions, and he’s a good passer of the ball as well,” said Mastroeni. “I think that he’s a good player that brings a different dynamic to the team, and [on Sunday], he had a good performance.”
After spending two-and-a-half years with Chivas USA and tallying three goals and a single assist during his time, Courtois began training with the Galaxy on Monday after being released by the Rojiblancos last month. The former West Ham United midfielder admitted that the situation at Chivas in his final days there was a “complicated” and “difficult” one, but he’s been impressed with his week-long stint with LA.
“It feels really good. Everything is so organized and everybody knows what to do,” said Courtois. “The sessions have been going great, and to be honest, they are pretty enjoyable. It’s always easier with good players.”
As for his chance to earn a place on the Galaxy roster, the former Chivas USA midfielder is hopeful that he can earn a spot on the squad.
“I do,” said Courtois. “I feel fantastic. I had this opportunity, and I don’t know shock anybody to say that this is a better group with better players, who know what to do. The mentality is really different. I’d love to be part of it.”
Highlights from the LA Galaxy's 2-1 defeat to the Portland Timbers are below...
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Robbie Keane exited the LA Galaxy's 2-1 defeat to the Portland Timbers in the 79th minute with an apparent injury, but the forward had no update following LA's loss.
After the match, Keane offered the following thoughts when asked about the injury.
"I don't know. We'll have to see, I'll get a scan," said Keane. "It's definitely a pull or something like that because I tried to take off and just couldn't run. I'll get a scan tomorrow or Monday and we'll see how it is."