20 September 10:23 pm

CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy qualified for the postseason for the sixth consecutive season with their 2-1 victory over FC Dallas.

After the game, Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena addressed reporters.

(On Alan Gordon’s performance...)

ARENA: “He’s a good target player. He’s good in the penalty area. If the service is right, he’s quite capable of finishing off plays, which he’s shown. He knows his job. He’s an experienced player. Understands tactically what needs to be done at the end of the game, and has just done an outstanding job.”

(On Stefan Ishizaki’s performance...)

ARENA: “He played very well. It’s the best that [Ishizaki] has played for us in a while. He performed quite well. He’s passing was excellent. He did a good job defensively helping Dan Gargan. Just played very well. Let’s face it Ishizaki and Gordon did a great job coming in off the bench. I think they made a difference and helped us win the game.”

(On Robbie Rogers performance at left back...)

ARENA: “He played well. I think the second half in particularly he played very well. The cross for the winning goal was outstanding. It was good to see him get back into form. It’s taken him a little bit coming back from his injury, but I think he’s starting to play well. He looks like a left back.”

(On the difference between Ishizaki and Baggio Husidic...)

ARENA: “Husidic is a little more of a two-way player, a box-to-box player. Ishizaki is a little more, certainly a more creative player, probably you can argue maybe a better player in the final third. Not that Husidic isn’t a good player in the final third—he’s just a little bit different. I think it’s a nice combination.”

(On the first half...)

ARENA: “They defended well and we weren’t good enough on the ball. We didn’t take advantage of the advantages we created. We just ended to be a little bit sharper. I think that Dallas defended well in the first half.”

On whether the Seattle/Red Bulls result gave the team a sense of urgency:

“We were aware of the result. All along we’ve been aware of where we’ve been positioned in a conference race. We were well aware of the result and obviously it was good opportunity for us to make up the points because I think we are even now. It was an opportune time for sure.”

On clinching a playoff:

“Well, I think we anticipated being in the playoffs, but it’s nice to get that out of the away. Now we need to jockey for a favorable position. Certainly use the next five games to do that. I think that just gives us a little confidence and a little bit of relief that we don’t need consider ourselves with that anymore.”

20 September 4:40 pm

CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy return home for a three-game homestand starting with Saturday's clash with FC Dallas at StubHub Center.

Below are matchups to watch, statements made by the Galaxy and my own personal prediction.

LINKS

*Remember that with a victory on Saturday, the LA Galaxy will clinch a postseason berth for the sixth consecutive year

*In 'What to Watch For" I break down the Galaxy's clash with FC Dallas with TWCSN play-by-play man Joe Tutino

*In the latest edition of "By the Numbers," we look at the Galaxy's success at home against FCD

*Lastly, LAGalaxy.com's Larry Morgan provides his preview of the match

MATCHUPS TO WATCH:

DAN GARGAN vs. FABIAN CASTILLO

Back from suspension, Gargan will have to put the breaks on one of MLS' hottest strikers as Castillo will look to use his speed to break through the Galaxy central defense.

ROBBIE KEANE vs. ZACH LOYD

Loyd has done well in his transition from outside back to central defense, but he'll face a stiff test in Keane, who is expected to be eager to break his scoreless streak after a disappointing showing against San Jose.

OMAR GONZALEZ vs. BLAS PEREZ

Gonzalez will have his hands full with Perez on Saturday as the FC Dallas striker will seek to torment the Galaxy center back in search of goals.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING:

"We're still in the running for the Supporters' Shield...but I don't want to worry about that right now. I want to worry about Dallas because they're no easy task. They're a really good team with a lot of threats especially Castillo who is doing really well. We don't need to worry about Supporters' Shield right now, we need to worry about beating Dallas." - Omar Gonzalez

PREDICTION:

LA Galaxy 4 FC Dallas 0 (Keane 2, Zardes 1, Sarvas 1)

19 September 2:38 pm

CARSON, Calif. – There’s a new -- yet familiar -- face serving as the new head athletic trainer for the LA Galaxy.

A Galaxy original, Ivan Pierra returns to the Galaxy after six-and-a-half years with the U.S. National Team where he served as the head trainer for two World Cups under two U.S. head coaches.

Pierra replaces Armando Rivas, who held the head trainer position since 2008 when Pierra joined the U.S. setup after more than 10 years with the club. Rivas leaves the Galaxy to join the NBA’s Chicago Bulls as an assistant trainer.

“It was really hard to leave U.S. Soccer for sure because they took care of me. I mean World Cups are great and exciting times, but the U.S. job is a grind and the older that I get, the harder it gets. This job fits my age and helps me maintain something that I like to do.

“It’s exciting to come back to the Galaxy, which is a place that has always had my heart. U.S. Soccer will always be there, I could always go on a trip if they need me. There’s no love loss, it was all mutual.”

Said Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena, “Ivan is an outstanding trainer and a Galaxy original. We're thrilled to have him back because he’s one of the most respected trainers in his field and I think that he'll fit in great in our team and organization as he directs the sports medicine side of things.

“Armando did an outstanding job for us and now he has a new challenge in his career so we wish him the best.”

Galaxy forward Landon Donovan agrees that the similarities between Rivas and Pierra will only help the club during their transition.

“We're happy to have him back. He did a great job with the national team and we're happy for him,” said Donovan. “He’s learned a lot over the last couple of years and while it’s sad to see Armando go, they're very much cut from the same cloth and they do things in the same way. It'll be a seamless transition.”

And Pierra agrees.

“It’s a situation that professionally, I don’t think that anything is lost,” said Pierra. “I've met a lot of the guys over the years, so me coming in, wasn't a huge difference because everyone knew who I was. This is a well-oiled machine and a family. It’s great.”

19 September 11:22 am

CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy return home for the start of a three-game home swing on Saturday when they take on FC Dallas.

In the latest edition of LAGalaxy.com's "By the Numbers," we look at the Galaxy's mastery of FC Dallas at StubHub Center. In total, 1,407 days have passed since FCD last won at StubHub Center when they defeated LA 3-0 in the 2010 Western Conference Final.

19 September 9:53 am

The LA Galaxy can clinch a postseason berth this weekend.

There are two scenarios that could see the Galaxy qualify for the 2014 MLS Cup Playoffs:

1) A victory over FC Dallas on Saturday

OR

2) A Vancouver Whitecaps FC win over Portland Timbers on Saturday

18 September 3:52 pm

The soccer community in Los Angeles was enraptured by the Copa CentroAmericana over the past weekend.

More than 40,000 fans were in attendance for the three-game final day at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum as Costa Rica took home the cup and the ticket to the 2016 Copa America Centenario. Galaxy goalkeeper Jaime Penedo led Panama to a third place finish in the tournament

The tournament and it's immense impact is profiled by A Football Report's Maxi Rodriguez and Zach Goldman in the video above.

18 September 2:10 pm

CARSON, Calif. – MLS Commissioner Don Garber fined LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena $20,000 for his comments to Washington Post’s Steve Goff about LA’s reported links to U.S. international Sacha Kljestan.

Garber told Sports Illustrated earlier in the week that Arena was in line to receive a “major fine” for his comments to the Washington Post and after the league’s announcement of their new logo on Thursday, the MLS commissioner revealed the amount to the Associated Press.

After training on Thursday, Arena told reporters that he had no comment on Garber’s comments or the fine amount.

“I’ve got no thoughts on what he has to say,” Arena said. “I stand on everything that we did as completely accurate and completely ethical. It was the way that you do things --the right way. We did everything the right way and we’ll leave it at that. We stand by everything that we did and I’m very proud of our organization with the way that we go about doing our business.”

18 September 6:53 am

MLS has a brand new logo.

The league unveiled their new logo which replaced the old soccer ball and boot image on Thursday in favor of a customizable crest that features personalized color schemes for all of the league's teams, in addition to a standard red, white and blue design for the league.

In the mold of the NFL and NHL, the crest features the MLS name on the top left corner as well as a slash that extends from the top right to the bottom of the logo, which seperates the dominant colors used. The top left half also includes three stars which stand "for club, for country, and for community" according to an MLS release.

The logo will be officially unveiled at a press conference at 8:00 a.m. PT with MLS commissioner Don Garber who will describe the logo and it's greater importance in the league's wider strategy.

17 September 12:56 pm

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – The LA Galaxy will get their first week-long break in  little over a month this week and the respite could not come at a better time for striker Robbie Keane.

Due to his participation in Ireland’s UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying campaign, the Irishman has traveled considerable distances bouncing around from Southern California, Dublin, Tbilisi, Georgia, Montreal, and San Jose.

After the Galaxy’s 1-1 draw with the San Jose Earthquakes, Keane admitted that he’s eagerly looking forward to a little rest before LA return to action this Saturday against FC Dallas.

“It’s been a tough few weeks for me personally. I'm absolutely shattered to be honest with you and it'll be nice to have a week without traveling,” said Keane after LA's draw to San Jose. “I've been feeling the effects over the last couple of days so it'll be nice to rest and not have to travel. I've endured a long 10 days with some 40 hours of traveling and it was taking my toll. I'll just refresh myself and get ready for Saturday’s game.”

With some needed time to rest, Keane believes that he’ll be able to better aid the Galaxy as they look to erase Seattle Sounders FC’s slim three point lead in the Supporters’ Shield chase.

“It’s in our own hands,” said Keane. “We're playing the teams around us and they'll be tough games, but we’re quite capable of beating anybody.”