David Beckham's reported expansion bid in Miami draws attention during State of the League address

03 December 5:17 pm

David Beckham's reported expansion bid in Miami draws attention during State of the League address

By Adam Serrano

During MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s State of the League address on Tuesday, former LA Galaxy midfielder David Beckham’s  interest in installing an MLS expansion team in Miami was undoubtedly a hot button topic.

Beckham’s connection to Miami has been reported since he retired from soccer earlier this year, but talk has been heating up as of late.  While Miami was mentioned along with Atlanta, Minneapolis and San Antonio as possible MLS expansion locations, Garber admitted that it was far from finished.

“There’s a lot of work that needs to happen … We can’t go to Miami without the right stadium solution. David understands that. The city understands that. That’s an indisputable fact. We can’t have different rules in Miami that we have in any other city,” Garber said during the event. “We want to do as much as we can to work with David and [his business manager] Simon Fuller to get something done as quickly as we can.”

Garber continued: “We are very excited about the opportunity of having David put together an ownership group and finalizing a stadium site in downtown Miami so that we can end up having what we hope will be our 22nd team in a city that is one of the largest in the country and has a very strong, passionate fan base but there is a lot of word that needs to happen," Garber said. "Part of that is continuing the discussions that the ownership group has been having with the city and the [Port of Miami] site and potentially other sites."

Although reports have stated that Beckham is looking to get a deal done by years end, based on Garber’s comments, any announcement seems to be a work in progress at the moment.

So I leave the question to you…will David Beckham get an MLS team in Miami? 

Share your thoughts below.