The LA Galaxy will be heading back on the road in the U.S. Open Cup.
U.S. Soccer announced on Thursday morning that the San Jose Earthquakes will host the LA Galaxy on July 1 at Avaya Stadium in San Jose at 7:30 p.m. PT in the tournament's Round of 16. Should the Galaxy get past San Jose, they'll travel to face the winner of the match between Real Salt Lake and the Portland Timbers in the quarterfinal stage on July 21 or July 22. Whichever team advances from the tournament's West region will travel to the Central region which includes FC Dallas, Colorado Rapids, Sporting Kansas City and Houston Dynamo.
The Galaxy have gone 2-4-0 in Open Cup road matches since 2010 and have not advanced past the quarterfinal stage since the 2006 campaign.
LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena says MLS teams must compete for CONCACAF Champions League title consistently
CARSON, Calif. -- The eyes of Major League Soccer will turn to Olympic Stadium in Montreal on Wednesday night as the Montreal Impact seek to become the first Major League Soccer club to win the CONCACAF Champions League when they host Liga MX side Club America in the second leg of the CCL Final.
Montreal find themselves level on aggregate with the Mexican giants after earning a crucial 1-1 draw at the Estadio Azteca last week. If the score holds, the Impact would win the series by virtue of their away goal. With the Impact inching closer to a continential title, folks from across MLS have rushed to support the Impact, much like they did back in 2011 when Real Salt Lake fell just short in the CCL final against Monterrey.
After LA Galaxy training on Wednesday, Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena, who won the 1998 CONCACAF Champions Cup with D.C. United. was asked if Montreal winning the CCL represented a step forward for MLS.
"It'd be a move forward, I don't know what means but it would be a move forward. I would say that's certainly an argument that you'd have," Arena said. "Personally, I think those things only can be discussed over time not in a short period of time. If we didn't have another team [in the CCL Final] for another 10 years, it wouldn't say a whole lot. It'd be nice to see our league consistently compete to be in the World Club championships."
Bruce Arena anticipates the LA Galaxy get "a player or two" after target Sacha Kljestan goes to New York Red Bulls
CARSON, Calif. – The LA Galaxy’s pursuit of U.S. international Sacha Kljestan officially fell short on Wednesday as the midfielder signed with the New York Red Bulls.
The Galaxy traded up to the third spot in the league’s allocation order earlier this year in what was reported to be a move to acquire the former Chivas USA attacker. However, the script changed on Tuesday when the Red Bulls climbed to the top of the allocation order after completing a trade with the Montreal Impact.
After the Galaxy’s 2-0 closed-door scrimmage victory over Ventura County Fusion on Wednesday, Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena told reporters that LA are still looking to acquire players and only plan on using their allocation spot if the right fit comes along.
“I would anticipate that we get a player or two,” Arena who also confirmed that the Galaxy were interested in acquiring Kljestan told reporters. “But it doesn’t necessarily need to be an allocated player.”
LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena says he's "confident" the team will sign a "good player" with MLS allocation place
CARSON, Calif. – Whatever plans that the LA Galaxy had for their third spot in allocation order may have changed on Tuesday due to a blockbuster deal between the New York Red Bulls and Montreal Impact.
The Red Bulls dealt Ambroise Oyongo, midfielder Eric Alexander, allocation money and a 2015 international roster spot to Montreal for Felipe and the top spot in the allocation order. If reports are to be believed, New York are after reported Galaxy target Sacha Kljestan and with the top spot in the allocation order, they will have first choice should U.S. international return to Major League Soccer.
After Galaxy practice on Tuesday, LA head coach and general manager Bruce Arena said that the Red Bulls move up the order may change things for his team’s plans.
“Well certainly it changes the pecking order on players that are available. That’ll likely be the case that maybe our first preferred choice we wouldn’t get and we get somebody else,” Arena told LA Galaxy Insider. “We’re confident where we are we’re going to get a good player to match our needs. In all honesty I don’t think it matters whether we get our first choice player, second choice player or third choice player. We’re in good shape.”
Although New York’s move up to queue may put a wrench in LA’s reported plans for Kljestan, Arena is adamant that his club will wait until the right player comes along even if it is not in this transfer window.
“We don’t need to [sign anyone] in this transfer window,” said Arena. “We’ll bring someone in sometime and I would say certainly before July. We’ll try to bring in somebody in February or March. If we can’t do that now then maybe a little bit later.”
Bruce Arena tells ESPN FC that Marcelo Sarvas trade provides LA Galaxy with "flexibility" to build 2015 roster
PHILADELPHIA -- The LA Galaxy dealt one of chief contributors to their 2014 MLS Cup title run on Thursday by trading Marcelo Sarvas to the Colorado Rapids, but the club now appears primed to replace the departing Brazilian with another top tier talent.
LA dealt Sarvas and an international roster spot to the Rapids on Thursday in a move that saw the Galaxy move up to the third spot on the league's allocation order. Reports have swirled that move will allow the Galaxy to acquire U.S. international Sacha Kljestan, a player who has long been on the club's radar. According to ESPN FC's Jeff Carlisle, the deal should allow the Galaxy the freedom to acquire Kljestan or any other returning U.S. international as neither the two teams ahead of them in the ranking, the Montreal Impact and San Jose Earthquakes are expected to impede LA's plans.
In addition to Arena speaking out about the Brazilian midfielder's departure, Sarvas' partner in central midfield Juninho also addressed his departure via his personal instagram.
"Marcelo, I want to wish you the best of luck in the next step of your life. Thank you for teaching me a lot of things about soccer, especially never giving up no matter the situation. You are a very good player and an example of dedication and companionship," Juninho said. "We were a good duo. It was a pleasure to play and live by your side and to know you in and off the field. Good luck to you in your next new club. LA, my family and I gonna miss you, Champion.'
Marcelo I want to wish you the best of luck in the next step of your life. Thank you for teaching me a lot of things about soccer, especially never giving up no matter the situation. You are a very good player and an example of dedication and companionship. We were a good duo. It was a pleasure to play and live by your side and to know you in and off the field. Good luck to you in your next new club. LA, my family and I gonna miss you Champion / Marcelo Eu quero te desejar muita sorte neste próximo passo da tua vida. Obrigado por me ensinar muitas coisas sobre o futebol , especialmente de nunca me der por vencido não importa a situação. Você é jogador diferenciado um exemplo de dedicação e companheirismo. Fomos uma excelente dupla juntos. Foi um prazer jogar e viver ao teu lado e de conhecer você dentro e fora de campo. Boa sorte no teu novo clube. LA , minha família e eu vamos sentir saudades de você Campeão. @marcelosarvas
Marcelo Sarvas was an integral part of the LA Galaxy’s 2014 MLS Cup Championship campaign, but various reports are stating that the midfielder be on the move as part of a series of deals that could see Sacha Kljestan come to the StubHub Center.
Goal.com’s Ives Galarcep and ESPN FC’s Jeff Carlisle reported this week that with the Galaxy interested in signing Kljestan who is currently out of contract with Belgian club Anderlecht, Sarvas could be moved as part of a deal to acquire the Huntington Beach native. If Kljestan does sign with MLS, he will be subject to the league’s allocation order which would require interested parties—reported to be LA, New York Red Bulls,Philadelphia Union, and Seattle Sounders FC—to trade up with the Montreal Impact, who currently hold the top spot.
Sources confirmed both reports by Goal and ESPN FC that the Brazilian midfielder is seeking a pay raise after his stellar 2014 season, despite Sarvas having one more year on his current contract. Carlisle reported that during the league’s draft combine that several coaches said that would be interested in Sarvas if he were to become available by the Galaxy, including San Jose Earthquakes head coach Dominic Kinnear who’s side holds the second spot in the allocation order.
Kinnear even addressed potential interest with a brief comment to Carlisle.
The LA Galaxy passed on making any selections in stage one of the 2014 MLS Re-Entry Draft.
Only three players were selected in the first process as former Sporting KC goalkeepers Eric Kronberg and Andy Gruenebaum were selected by Montreal Impact and San Jose Earthquakes respectively while former Real Salt Lake forward Robbie Findley was taken by Toronto FC.
Teams will now have a chance to regonotiate with their players made available for the Re-Entry Draft process before stage two on Dec. 18
LA Galaxy defender Robbie Rogers made American sports history a year ago when he became the first athlete in a major professional sport to come out as a gay man.
The announcement led to considerable scrutiny and media pressure in his difficult first season with the club, but now a year later, things have changed consdierably. Rogers has solidified himself as one of the top left backs in MLS and on Thursday, he was rewarded with a new multi-year contract extension by the Galaxy.
As his professional life has come together, Rogers' has personal life has flourished as well as the 27-year-old will be releasing his biography "Coming Out to Play." on Nov. 25. On Thursday, Rogers celebrated the book's release with a private event in West Hollywood.
"It was an amazing event and I'm so happy to see the support from everyone," Rogers said.
Photos of the event are below.
MONTREAL -- Head coach Bruce Arena spoke to reporters after the Galaxy's 2-2 draw with the Montreal Impact.
His thoughts are below.
(On whether he was pleased with how the team fought back in the second half…)
ARENA: I have to give the guys credit, but we weren’t good enough. We didn’t play tonight. To get a point when you’re down two goals, I guess I can’t complain a lot, but on the night we weren’t good.
(On the tactical switch at half time, putting in Robbie Rogers…)
ARENA: We switched to a back four because we don’t have the players capable of making the kind of adjustments that I asked them to make with a back three. That’s my responsibility. I’d like to see that we had players with a bit of a more tactical feel, but it’s obvious that some of them don’t and it’s not the appropriate formation to play so that’s my responsibility as the coach. At halftime the message was to get a goal in, to get back in the game. After the second goal, I thought we would win the game but in the end we just weren’t sharp.
(On the team getting a point in the game…)
ARENA: There’s still a point out of that and considering that we made a mess for ourselves, that we got a point out of it was good. But we need to be better over 90 minutes than we were tonight. … They fouled us tactically and made some good fouls and if we were a little smarter, we’d have done the same and probably avoided a couple goals.
(On Zardes, Gordon and the offense…)
ARENA: He’s been good and unfortunately for Gyasi, I had to stick him out wide to get Alan in. Alan gets a goal and he’s doing a great job. We looked a little tired and we weren’t clicking.
(On Karl Ouimette tonight…)
ARENA: I am happy to be part of the MLS and to see how they treat their players when they are in grief. My heart goes out to Karl and his family and I was happy to see the support he got from the fans here in Montreal tonight. If there is anything that I’m proud of it’s that we could recognize those families.
(On Landon Donovan as possible MLS MVP candidate….)
ARENA: That’s not for me to talk about. That’s for all of you [reporters] on your websites and your Twitters. It’s not important at this point and I don’t want to get involved in that conversation. [Besides] isn’t it September now? He’s playing well.
MONTREAL -- The LA Galaxy will look to extend their five-game winning streak to six on Wednesday when they take on the Montreal Impact.
In the latest edition of LAGalaxy.com's By the Numbers, we look at the team's recent offensive success.