Arena confirms Sorto will be signed for 2013; club remains interested in other Homegrown targets

05 December 11:39 am

Arena confirms Sorto will be signed for 2013; club remains interested in other Homegrown targets

By Adam Serrano

 

Bruce Arena confirmed in his end of the season teleconference with reporters that the club will be signing defender Oscar Sorto.

“Oscar Sorto will be signed. He'll be part of our club in 2013," said Arena. "Oscar will be signed, we want to sign Oscar.”

Word of Sorto’s conversations with the Galaxy about a contract were revealed here first on the LA Galaxy Insider back in September.

The 18-year-old outside back from South Central Los Angeles has made seven starts for the LA Galaxy Under-18s this season tallying three goals. Sorto has been training with the Galaxy first team since August and was a regular on LA’s MLS Reserve League Western Division champion team making six appearances for the squad.  Sorto also received some experience abroad earlier this year when he trained with Swedish club Hammarby IK for a week in August.

During the teleconference, Arena said that "possibly" other Homegrown targets could be signed. Arena also stated that  "no decisions made" on midfielder Raul Mendiola and confirmed that the club remains interested in Cal State-Bakersfield forward Gyasi Zardes.