CARSON, Calif. –The LA Galaxy’s outside back corps is pretty depleted but LA may soon be welcoming back A.J. DeLaGarza, Todd Dunivant and Robbie Rogers from injury.
DeLaGarza (groin), Dunivant (calf), Rogers (ankle) each missed out on last Friday’s match due to injury but all three were present during Galaxy training on Tuesday. Dunivant was the lone player to take part in training while DeLaGarza and Rogers were spotted running around the practice field.
“They’re all making progress,” Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena said on Tuesday. “One would suspect that they’ll be ready to go soon.”
With the three players still doubtful and Oscar Sorto suspended, Arena may turn to Baggio Husidic at left back on Wednesday. Husidic made his first and only start at outside back during LA’s May 17 pummeling at the hands of Orlando City SC, and is admittedly eager to provide a better showing at left back.
“I probably not concede four goals first,” Husidic said jokingly when asked about how he can improve upon his stint against Orlando. “But I also need to get into the attack a bit more, other than that, I think that we possessed well, but just made stupid mistakes. We just have to play smarter and not lose balls in dangerous areas again.”
CARSON, Calif. -- CARSON, Calif. –Robbie Keane might make his return to the starting XI for the LA Galaxy’s clash with Real Salt Lake on Wednesday.
Keane made his first appearance for the Galaxy since April 4 last Friday, tallying the game-winning assist in the team's 1-0 victory over the Houston Dynamo. Although Keane admits that his health is improving, the Irishman says that he's still not a lock to start on Wednesday.
“It’s something that we have to speak about,” Keane told reporters. “We have three games in a week so we have to choose carefully and be clever going forward. It’s a long season, so we’ll have a chat and be ready.”
In the latest edition of LAGalaxy.com's By the Numbers, we look at the Galaxy's 2015 season with Keane and without the Irishman.
CARSON, Calif. -- Even a rivalry as heated as the California Clasico can't get in the way of a friendship.
LA Galaxy forward Alan Gordon paid tribute to former teammate Chris Wondolowski after the San Jose Earthquakes forward scored his 100th goal during San Jose's 1-1 draw with Orlando City SC. With his goal, Wondolowski became the ninth player in Major League Soccer history to score 100 goals.
Having played alongside Wondolowski for three-and-a-half seasons in San Jose during his meteoric rise from little used player to U.S. international, Gordon was overjoyed that his one-time teammate had reached such a historic milestone.
"I'm really proud of him. I think that's fantastic. What he's done is incredible. He deserves everything that he's getting," Gordon said on Monday. "It's a real awesome story. Just one of the scrubs making it big by doing his thing. He hasn't changed through it all. He's stayed humble and that's the best thing about him because some guys change with success, and he's stayed just one of the guys. But he's still a scrub to me."
CARSON, Calif. – There will be no appeal from the LA Galaxy for Oscar Sorto’s controversial red card that was awarded by MLS referee Ismail Elfath in the late stages of the club’s 1-0 victory over the Houston Dynamo last week, Bruce Arena confirmed on Monday.
Sorto was awarded the red card for a tackle from behind on the Dynamo’s David Horst deep in stoppage time. The red card spoiled what had been a strong first career MLS start for the 20-year-old at left back.
After the match, Houston head coach Owen Coyle said that the foul was clear penalty but Galaxy boss Bruce Arena disagreed with the Englishman’s assessment.
“It wasn’t clear. If there was any legitimate contact, it was outside the penalty area. We’ve actually seen it with pictures, if there was any contact initiated; it was outside the penalty area. He’s certainly entitled to his opinion, he can say what he wants, I can say what I want, and it’s all part of good debate.”
Galaxy captain Robbie Keane spoke to Coyle afterward and stated that the Dynamo coach told him that the foul was not a red card, but still voiced his displeasure that Sorto would be unavailable for Houston.
“I think that the league should appeal anyway on behalf of us because it was a joke. We shouldn’t have to appeal because it wasn’t a red card,” Keane told reporters. “We’re all guilty of having a bad game, and sometimes, it’s best to just hold your hand up because everyone can see that you’re having a bad game. Everyone knows that players have bad games, and referees have bad games.
“It’d be nice if referees just said that they had a bad game. It happens in England sometimes if they make a mistake…and I think that people would respect them more for it. … If [referee assessors] are watching then they need to have strong words when they have a bad game. Bruce would have strong words with us. It’s just the way it is. It needs to be addressed because he had a bad game. As I said on [Friday], if you ask 100 people then 100 people would say it wasn’t a red card.”
As for who starts at left back on Wednesday, Arena told reporters that the team is still undecided on who to start against Real Salt Lake.
CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy will look to snap their five game winless run on Friday when they return to StubHub Center for the first time since May 2nd to face the Houston Dynamo.
Below are a series of links, matchups and a predicted score ahead of Friday's clash.
*After missing the last seven games, Robbie Keane says that he's fit enough to be back in the gameday squad for Friday's match.
*Omar Gonzalez's status is also in question, but the LA defender says that he's ready to go if called upon on Friday.
*In the latest edition of "By the Numbers," we look at the Galaxy's recent struggles.
*Lastly, LAGalaxy.com's Larry Morgan provides the Match Preview Presented by 04 Water.
MATCHUPS TO WATCH
Giles Barnes vs. Leonardo
With Omar Gonzalez still a question mark, Leonardo will need to lead the Galaxy defense as they look to stop the speedy Englishman.
Juninho vs. Ricardo Clark
Perhaps the most important match of the game pits the two midfield commanders against one of another. Whichever is able to exert his influence on the game, will likely lead his side to victory.
Brad Davis vs. Dan Gargan
Gargan returns from his yellow card suspension and will immediately be tasked with slowing down Houston's Brad Davis. Look for Gargan to play Davis close to prevent him from sending in any dangerous crosses.
LA Galaxy 2 (Husidic, Zardes), Houston Dynamo 1 (Barnes)
CARSON, Calif. -- Omar Gonzalez was unable to start the LA Galaxy's 4-0 defeat to Orlando City SC due to a knee issue, but the center back says that he is fit and ready to go for the club's upcoming match against the Houston Dynamo.
Initially, the Galaxy stated that Gonzalez was on the bench due to squad rotation, but after the defeat, LA clarified that the 26-year-old was suffering from a knee injury. Although he missed out on the Orlando match, Gonzalez has been in full training this week ahead of Friday's match against the Dynamo.
"I'm doing good. It was just a precaution. I was just worried about some things but I'm feeling good and I'm good for Friday," said Omar Gonzalez. "If it was late in the season or a playoff game then no doubt I would have played. It was early in the season, and I figured that I wanted to stay safe."
CARSON, Calif. – The LA Galaxy need a spark in the attack when they face the Houston Dynamo on Friday, and newcomer Sebastian Lletget just might be the one to deliver that little boost.
The former West Ham United midfielder made his debut for the club last Sunday during their 4-0 defeat to Orlando City SC, going 21 minutes in the loss. During the match, Lletget was unable to truly make an impact on the game due to Orlando's dominance, but the 22-year-old is confident that if he’s given an opportunity against Houston, he can have an impact.
“I believe I am [ready to start],” Lletget told LA Galaxy Insider. “I always believe that I’m practicing really hard. Obviously, coming in the middle of the season, I do need to do a little bit of catch-up in terms of philosophy and our style of play, but I think that I’m ready.”
Just when Lletget makes that first start, however, is in the hands of head coach Bruce Arena who says that Lletget might need to wait a little longer.
"He needs more time,” said Arena. “But it was good to get him out on the field for the first time."
CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy might have a little extra firepower on the field on Friday when they take on the Houston Dynamo.
Edson Buddle (calf) and Robbie Keane (groin strain) have missed considerable time in 2015 due to injury but both were in full training on Monday. Given the Galaxy's offensive struggles in their 4-0 defeat to Orlando City SC, the chance to welcome back a pair of experienced attackers could be a major boost for LA on Friday, but their return to the field, is anything but a certainty.
"We'll see," Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena told reporters on Tuesday. "We'll get through the week and we'll see with those guys and see how they're doing."
Buddle appears to be the closest to making a return after getting a solid 30 minute run out for LA Galaxy II during their defeat to Sacramento Republic. After training on Tuesday, the 33-year-old says that he's fit and ready to go 90 minutes if called upon.
"I'll start. Absolutely. Put me in there coach!" Buddle joked. "I can definitely start and do it. I've been through harder things in my life."
Notorious prankster A.J. DeLaGarza may have delivered his magnum opus during the LA Galaxy's recent trip to face the New York Red Bulls.
Following the club's training session in New Jersey, DeLaGarza snatched one of the plastic wolves that the Red Bulls use to ward off wildlife, and gave Associate Head Coach Dave Sarachan the fright of his life.
Is it DeLaGarza's finest prank? Check out the vine above
Los Angeles Football Club to unveil plans to build a stadium at Sports Arena site for the 2018 season
— LAFC (@LAFC) May 18, 2015
Los Angeles Football Club will be announcing their plans to build a $250 million, 22,000 seat stadium on the site of the Sports Arena in Exposition Park.
The Los Angeles Times broke the news on Sunday night before the LAFC official Twitter account tweeted a photo of the stadium sight renderings. In addition to announcing the stadium details, the L.A. Times article also revealed that the team will not take the field until the 2018 Major League Soccer regular season. The stadium will be the first open-air venue built in the City of Los Angeles since Dodger Stadium back in 1956. LAFC's venue will be the most expensive privately-financed soccer stadium in United States.
According to the LA Times' article, LAFC will not be revealing their official name or colors during their press conference which is scheduled for 11 a.m. PT on Monday.