Training update (7/20)
Training update (7/20)
CARSON, Calif. – Less than 24 hours after landing in Los Angeles after a two-game seven day road trip, the LA Galaxy were back at it on Friday ahead of Saturday’s Superclásico clash against archrival Chivas USA.
The club took part in an hour-and-a-half long session with several players taking part in regeneration work following practice.
A few notes from training:
- Omar Gonzalez stated that he is “feeling really good” and his status is “all in Bruce’s hands” ahead of the Superclásico. Gonzalez traveled with the club on their Pacific Northwest road swing, but did not play, citing concerns with the turf of JELD-WEN and BC Place. Gonzalez says that he is “not too far away” from 90 minutes and feels that he can contribute against Chivas. Playing in the Superclásico fits perfectly the plan that Gonzalez set forth on Monday, when he stated that he’d be pushing to play against Chivas if he did not play against Vancouver.
- Todd Dunivant’s status remains up in the air for Saturday after suffering a right calf injury during Wednesday’s draw in Vancouver. The defender did not train with the club on Friday, but took part in only regeneration work while the team trained. Following practice, head coach Bruce Arena told reporters that he needs to be evaluated before determining his status for Saturday. If Dunivant can not play, expect Bryan Gaul to fill in for the left back.
- Pat Noonan (right quad strain) may be ready to go for Saturday as the forward took part in his third consecutive full training session with the team.
- Mike Magee (right shin hematoma) will remain on the shelf for at least another match as the midfielder told reporters. Magee stated that after running yesterday, his leg felt numb, which will delay his return until at least Tuesday’s friendly against Tottenham Hotspur.
- Meanwhile, Edson Buddle (right knee surgery) remains at least a week away from full training after suffering the injury during a collision with the Houston Dynamo’s Cory Ashe on May 26th. Since returning to the field after his surgery to repair damage done to his meniscus, Buddle has been limited to jogging and weight room work.
- The club will be wearing their third uniforms for tomorrow’s match. The “Punjab” (aka very dark, dark blue) number was worn three times last season in the club’s July 4th contest against the Seattle Sounders and friendlies against Manchester City and Real Madrid.