Sorto remains committed to the U.S. despite El Salvador interest

20 March 1:53 pm

Sorto remains committed to the U.S. despite El Salvador interest

By Adam Serrano

CARSON, Calif. – LA Galaxy defender Oscar Sorto was not a member of the U.S. U-20 team that qualified for the U-20 World Cup in Turkey by way of last month’s U-20 CONCACAF Championship, but his dream of heading to Turkey lives on.

U.S. U-20 head coach Tab Ramos called the 18-year-old for two training camps, the first in December in Florida as well as a week-long camp in Puebla, Mexico in January, but did not name Sorto to the 20-man roster for the U-20 CONCACAF Championship. But if the call from Ramos does not come, Sorto has other options as he could also suit up for El Salvador, who also qualified for U-20 World Cup.

The nation of his parents’ birth has been aggressive in their recruiting of the Galaxy Homegrown defender, but Sorto remains interested in joining the U.S. set up.

“They were sending me emails, but Tab Ramos sent me a message that he was going to call me up for April’s camp so I’m going to just wait on El Salvador to see if Ramos takes me to the World Cup,” said Sorto. “Right now, I’m just waiting for the U.S. call. El Salvador was on me and I didn’t want to say yes to them and no to the U.S. so that’s why I was being patient for them to call me.”

As he waits for his chance with the U-20’s Sorto believes he is continuing his improvement on a daily basis with the Galaxy.

“Right now, I feel like I’m improving, getting better and listening to every coach,” said Sorto. “Just listening to them is helping me become a better player.”