LA Galaxy 4, Real Salt Lake 2
Saturday, August 17, 2013
StubHub Center – Carson, Calif.
RSL – Joao Plata 2 (Ned Grabavoy 3, Nat Borchers 1) 53'
LA – Robbie Keane 8 (Juninho 3) 56’
LA – Robbie Keane 9 (Sean Franklin 2, Juninho 4) 67’
LA – Omar Gonzalez 1 (Landon Donovan 7) 75’
LA – Robbie Keane 10 (Sean Franklin 3) 86’
RSL – Robbie Findley 6 (Nat Borchers 2, Javier Morales 8) 90'+5
RSL – Kyle Beckerman (Yellow Card) 57’
LA Galaxy: Jaime Penedo; Todd Dunivant, Omar Gonzalez, A.J. DeLaGarza, Todd Leonardo; Hector Jimenez (Sean Franklin 65’), Marcelo Sarvas, Juninho, Gyasi Zardes (Michael Stephens 89'); Robbie Keane (Jose Villarreal 89’), Landon Donovan.
Subs Not Used: Kofi Opare, Brian Rowe, Jack McBean, Pablo Mastroeni.
Portland Timbers: Nick Rimando; Nat Borchers, Tony Beltran, Chris Wingert (Kenny Mansally 81'), Carlos Salcedo; Kyle Beckerman, Luis Gil (Olmes Garcia 74'), Ned Grabavoy, Javier Morales; Joao Plata, Alvaro Saborio (Robbie Findley 66').
Subs Not Used: Cole Grossman, Brandon McDonald, Jeff Attinella, Khari Stephenson.
Referee: Hilario Grajeda
Referee’s Assistants: Paul Scott and Jason Cullum
4th Official: Kevin Stott
· With the win, the Galaxy are now 11-9-4 on the season, giving them with 37 points. They are now alone in fourth place in the Western Conference, one point behind third place Portland and two points behind second place Colorado while they are one point ahead of fifth place Vancouver, who host LA next weekend.
· The Galaxy are now 8-1-2 at home this season. They have outscored their opponents 22-6 in those 11 games, scoring four goals in three of those matches.
· They have now won each of their last four home games, with each of the last three coming against Western Conference opposition.
· The Galaxy have fallen behind 1-0 in three of those four games.
· Bruce Arena made two changes to the team that drew 3-3 with FC Dallas last weekend in Frisco, Texas. Jaime Penedo made his Galaxy debut, getting the start in goal in place of Carlo Cudicini while Hector Jimenez returned on the right side of midfield in place of Sean Franklin.
· Franklin began the game on the bench while Cudicini did not dress with Brian Rowe serving as the backup.
· Franklin came on in the second half to make his 150th regular season appearance for the club.
· Cudicini has missed three regular season games for the Galaxy in 2013 with all three coming against Real Salt Lake.
· Penedo is the third different goalkeeper to start a league game for the Galaxy this season and the 14th in club history.
· Of those 14, Penedo is the sixth to win his debut, though all three goalkeepers to have played for the Galaxy this season have won their debut for the club.
· Of the 11 home games that the Galaxy have played in the league this year, seven have been tied 0-0 at the half.
· The Galaxy have conceded just one first half goal at home this season and only eight in all competitions.
· Real Salt Lake pulled in front in the 53rd minute when Joao Plata got on the end of a Ned Grabavoy feed and slid a shot underneath Jaime Penedo.
· LA equalized three minutes later when Robbie Keane scored his first goal of the game off a feed from Juninho.
· That was Keane’s first goal from open ply since May 26 against Seattle.
· Keane scored his second, giving LA a 2-1 lead in the 67th minute, finishing a cross from Sean Franklin, who had entered the game two minutes earlier.
· Juninho had entered the game with two assists and doubled his season tally in the span of 12 minutes.
· Keane now has three multi-goal games in MLS this season, leaving him one shy of equaling his total from last season.
· It was 3-1 in the 75th minute when Omar Gonzalez headed a Landon Donovan corner kick in for his first goal in MLS this season.
· Gonzalez now has at least one goal in each of his five seasons in MLS.
· He was making the 120th start of his Galaxy career, moving him into ninth place in club history in games started.
· Donovan now has seven assists on the season and 86 in his Galaxy career, leaving him five shy of equaling Cobi Jones’ club record of 91.
· Donovan now has 115 assists in his MLS career, moving him into second place in league history. Only Steve Ralston has more assists than Donovan, tallying 135 in his career.
· Donovan is the only player in league history with 130 career goals and 115 career assists.
· Robbie Keane completed his hat trick in the 86th minute, lobbing a shot over Nick Rimando for his third goal of the game and 10th of the season.
· That was his second hat trick of the season and the club’s fourth of the season.
· LA have now had a player record a hat trick in consecutive games for just the second time in club history. The first time was in 1998 when Cobi Jones scored three times in a 7-4 win over Colorado on May 6 before Martin Machon scored three in the club’s next game, a 4-2 win at Columbus.
· Keane is the fourth player in club history with 10 or more regular season goals in consecutive seasons. He joins Welton (1997-98), Carlos Ruiz (2002-04), Landon Donovan (2005-06, 2008-09) as having achieved the feat.
· Keane is now one assist shy of becoming the second Galaxy player since 1998 to tally 10+ goals and 10+ assists in the same season.
· Of Keane’s 10 goals this season, nine have come at home.
· Sean Franklin was credited with his second assist of the game on the goal, giving him three on the season. This was the third multi-assist game of his MLS career.
· Real Salt Lake pulled a goal back in the 95th minute when Robbie Findley tallied his sixth of the season.
· That was the 17th goal that LA have conceded in the final 15 minutes of a game this season. They have allowed 32 goals in total.
· Four of the five goals that the Galaxy have conceded in the last two games have come from set pieces.
· Nat Borchers was credited with an assist on the goal, giving him two in the contest. He is the seventh different player to record multiple assists in a game against LA this year.
· Jaime Penedo was called up on to make just one save in his MLS debut.
· LA’s three Designated Players combine for four goals and an assist in the game and now have scored all seven goals that the Galaxy have scored in their last two games.
· The game saw the debut of the new Galaxy third kit, which was designed by Galaxy fan Carlos Rodriguez and voted on by the fans last year. LA were 2-0-1 in MLS play in their previous third kit, which they wore from July 2011 until the end of the 2012 season.
· The Galaxy will be back in action on Tuesday night when they open CONCACAF Champions League play against Costa Rican side Cartagines. That game kicks off from StubHub Center at 7 p.m.
· They return to MLS action on Saturday, August 24 when they travel north to Vancouver to face Whitecaps FC at BC Place. That game will kick off at 6 p.m. and can be seen live locally on Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes.