Galaxy quiet on Beckham loan deal
The LA Galaxy are still mum about David Beckham's potential loan deal to Tottenham, despite mounting reports that the superstar is bound for a return to England in the coming days.
The MLS club on Wednesday offered no confirmation that recent reports of Beckham’s loan deal to Tottenham are accurate or that the club is actively negotiating with Spurs or any other club about a loan offer.
ESPNSoccernet, the BBC, Fox Soccer and Sky Sports have all reported that the Galaxy are open to loaning Beckham out to Tottenham during the winter period, though the reports cited unnamed sources.
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp said in a report on ESPNSoccernet on Wednesday that the odds of landing Beckham are “50-50” and that the final details of a potential loan are in the hands of the Galaxy front office.
"It's gone quiet. It's in the hands of the chairman, but we can't go on too long because it could end up being a waste of time,” Redknapp said. “We need to know what is happening soon.
"It's dragged on a bit and they might not let him go. It's 50-50. We need to know, really."
Beckham has gone on loan each of the past two MLS off-seasons, both times to AC Milan. He suffered a torn Achilles tendon during a match with the club last March, holding him out of the World Cup in South Africa and limiting him to seven regular season appearances with the Galaxy last year.
Media have repeatedly linked Beckham to loan offers from a host of eager European clubs, including Everton, Blackburn, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Arsenal, Roma and Bayern Munich.
Tottenham, meanwhile, have maintained that any loan deal for Beckham will expire before the start of the MLS season and that the former Manchester United star will be back in camp with the Galaxy ahead of their March 15 season opener against the Seattle Sounders.