LA Galaxy stroll past Chivas USA 3-0
CARSON, Calif. -- The SuperClásico rivalry remained very one-sided Sunday afternoon at StubHub Center, with the LA Galaxy dissecting Chivas USA’s defense for a comfortable 3-0 victory, their first of the 2014 season.
Much of the damage was done in a 20-minute flurry spanning both halves. Galaxy right backDan Gargan, making his first start for LA in place of the injured A.J. DeLaGarza (shin), sent a header into the box that sneaked past goalkeeper Dan Kennedy to a waiting Keane, who walked the ball past the line for the tiebreaking score in the 37th minute.
Four minutes later, Ishizaki doubled the lead with a stellar chip to the far-side netting after speeding past Carlos Bocanegra and Kennedy. Despite the narrow window, Ishizaki capitalized on Juninho’s well-placed pass for his first career goal.
Nine minutes into the second half, it was Husidic’s turn. After a give-and-go from Keane toLandon Donovan, Husidic found just enough space at the top of the box and beat Kennedy with a low drive to the left corner.
The Galaxy (1-1-1) earned their third consecutive shutout in the rivalry, outscoring the Rojiblancos 9-0 since the sides drew in their first meeting last year.
Chivas USA (1-2-2), meanwhile, hardly tested goalkeeper Brian Perk, who started ahead of Jaime Penedo, who was available for the game but had to watch from the bench.
The Goats didn’t record their first shot on goal until the 81st minute. It was another woeful performance from a patchwork Chivas USA defense that was already without usual startersBobby Burling (labrum) and Oswaldo Minda (hamstring), and also missed starting left backTony Lochhead (hamstring) on Sunday. Newcomer Andrew Jean-Baptiste earned the nod in his place to make his first appearance with the Rojiblancos.
The next edition of the cross-hall rivalry is scheduled for June 8, with the Galaxy serving as the designated home team. The third and final league match between the two is set for Aug. 31.
In the meantime, the Galaxy stay in town to host Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday, while Chivas USA hit the road to face the Portland Timbers that same night.
LA Galaxy 3, Chivas USA 0
Sunday, April 6, 2014
MLS Regular Season
StubHub Center – Carson, Calif.
LA – Robbie Keane 37’ (Assisted by Dan Gargan, Stefan Ishizaki)
LA – Stefan Ishizaki 42’ (Assisted by Juninho, Landon Donovan)
LA – Baggio Husidic 56’ (Assisted by Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane)
LA – Dan Gargan (Yellow Card) 26’
CHV – Erick Torres (Yellow Card) 40’
CHV – Mauro Rosales (Yellow Card) 47’
LA Galaxy: Brian Perk; Dan Gargan (Tommy Meyer 85’), Omar Gonzalez, Leonardo, Todd Dunivant (Oscar Sorto 75’); Marcelo Sarvas, Juninho, Stefan Ishizaki (Samuel 57’), Baggio Husidic; Robbie Keane©, Landon Donovan
Substitutes Not Used: Jaime Penedo, Kenney Walker, Chandler Hoffman, Rob Friend
Chivas USA: Dan Kennedy; Eriq Zavaleta, Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Eric Avila, Carlos Bocanegra©; Mauro Rosales, Agustin Pelletieri, Thomas McNamara (Kristopher Tyrpak 66’), Carlos Alvarez; Luke Moore (Leandro Barrera 46’), Erick Torres (Adolfo Bautista 79’)
Substitutes Not Used: Tim Melia, Matthew Fondy, Marco Delgado, Donny Toia
Referee: Drew Fischer
Referee’s Assistants: Corey Rockwell and Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
4th Official: Alejandro Mariscal
- With the win, the Galaxy are now 19-4-6 against Chivas USA all-time, with a 9-2-3 record as the “visitor” at StubHub Center.
- Since 2008, the Galaxy have only suffered one loss to Chivas USA, going 12-1-4 in that stretch.
- With the win, the Galaxy are now 1-1-1 on the season, leaving them with 4 points.
- Robbie Keane scored his 36th goal in just 59 MLS appearances.
- LA Galaxy have outscored Chivas USA 17-2 in their last 6 MLS meetings. Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane have scored 9 of the 17 goals.
- Stefan Ishizaki scored his first goal in MLS.
- Baggio Husidic also scored his first goal for the LA Galaxy in his second Galaxy start on the left side as he tallied a full 90 minutes against Chivas USA.
- Defender Dan Gargan made his first MLS regular season start for the LA Galaxy, starting in his 103rd match in his nine-year MLS career.
- Brian Perk made his second consecutive start in goal. Perk is 1-3-3 with two shutouts in seven career outings with the Galaxy.
- AJ DeLaGarza remained unavailable tonight with a left shin hematoma … Gyasi Zardes was also unavailable because of a right knee injury.
- In the stead of the injured DeLaGarza was Brazilian defender Leonardo.
- Todd Dunivant started on the left side for the second consecutive time. Dunivant, who has three MLS Cups with the Galaxy (2005, 2011, 2012), made his 265 career MLS start today. It was his 19th against Chivas USA.
- Homegrown player Oscar Sorto made his MLS debut after being subbed in at the 75th minute for injured Dunivant.
- The Galaxy are 9-3-5 when Donovan and Keane appear together with 25 goals and 18 assists among them.
- The Galaxy outshot Chivas USA 19-5.
- The Galaxy return to MLS action on Saturday, April 12 when they host Vancouver Whitecaps FC at StubHub Center in Carson. The game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. and will be broadcasted live on Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes.