CARSON, Calif. -- Robbie Keane has been nominated for the Etihad Airways MLS Player of the Month for his stellar performance in April.
Keane has enjoyed one of his most productive months since coming to the Galaxy in 2011 with three goals for LA in their three games in April. Two of Keane's goals were game-winners as the club has gone undefeated in their last four matches. The Irishman, who has four goals and one assist this season, will look to help the Galaxy extend their unbeaten run on Saturday when they take on the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
At the end of each month, the MLSsoccer.com editorial staff selects the five final nominees. These are then put to a vote among you, the fans. Fan voting for the April POTM will be open until 11:59 pm PT, Wednesday, April 30. The winner will be revealed on Thursday, May 1, at 9:30 am ET.
April 2014 Etihad Airways MLS Player of the Month nominees:
- Bobby Boswell, D.C. United. The veteran central defender backstopped United to a 3-0-1 month, their best month since September 2012. They conceded only two goals, and Boswell did his part at the other end, adding a goal and an assist of his own.
- Clint Dempsey, Seattle Sounders. The last time someone scored seven goals in a month was Sebastien Le Toux was in September 2011 – but he needed six games to do it. Deuce only needed four – three wins and a draw – as he hit a hat trick vs. rivals Portland, a brace each in wins over Dallas and Colorado, and stormed to the top of the Budweiser Golden Boot table.
- Fabian Espindola, D.C. United. The spark for a resurgent United that has suddenly become an attacking juggernaut. Espindola exploded for three goals and three assists as D.C. picked up three wins and a draw in April.
- Robbie Keane, LA Galaxy. The Galaxy only played three matches in April, but "Keano" scored in all of them, including notching two winners and an equalizer, as the club found its groove.
- Bradley Wright-Phillips, New York Red Bulls. Thierry Henry's uptick in playmaking has proved a boon for BWP, who has fired home a hat trick vs. Houston and a lovely equalizer vs. Columbus. He's now third in the Golden Boot race.