CARSON, Calif. -- U.S. international Stuart Holden is training with the LA Galaxy, but according to Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena, the Galaxy are not interested in the midfielder.
Holden was spotted training with the Galaxy on Thursday as he looks to recover from a March surgery to repair ligaments on his right knee. The U.S. international's club Bolton Wanderers revealed after the surgery that the former Houston Dynamo midfielder will be out for six to nine months.
When asked if the club was interested in the oft-injured Holden, Arena denied any link, instead insisting that LA are simply allowing the player to train as he prepares for a return to England.
"He's just a player that is working his way back from injury," said Arena.
The plans for Holden to train with the Galaxy were in the works for several days according an interview that Holden held with ESPN FC earlier in the week. During his conversation with ESPN FC's Dan Thomas, Holden confirmed that he is worked with Galaxy Head Trainer and Director of Sports Science Armando Rivas, but is intending to return to Bolton.
"Technically I'm out of contract, but there's been discussions. I still feel the loyality [to Bolton] and I still want to go back there if we can make it work. There's no formal contract offer for me right now, but it's been the plan all along that I will be going back there when I'm fully ready to play and get into full training," said Holden. "I look forward to getting back there and get over all the struggles that I've had over the last couple years and have a healthy run at it."