LOS ANGELES (Sunday, April 9, 2023) – Playing their second home match of the 2023 MLS NEXT Pro Regular Season, LAGalaxy II fell 2-1 to MNUFC2 at Dignity Health Sports Park’s Track & Field Stadium on Sunday night.
LA Galaxy II Firsts
Brandon Téllez recorded his first career professional goal, the first-ever goal scored for LA Galaxy II in MLS NEXT Pro, in the match against MNUFC2. Additionally, Aaron Bibout tallied his first career professional assist in 90 minutes played against Minnesota. LA Galaxy Academy defender Matteo Carbone made his professional debut, logging eight minutes as a second-half substitute. **
LA Galaxy Academy**
Seven players with ties to the LA Galaxy Academy started in the match against Minnesota: Carson Klein, Marcus Ferkranus, Adam Saldaña, Adrián González, Brandon Téllez, Alex Alcalá and Jonathan Pérez. Juan Calderón, Diego López and Carbone, each current LA Galaxy Academy players, appeared off the bench for Los Dos. Notably, the average age of the LA Galaxy IIstarting lineup in the match against MNUFC2 was 19.8 years of age.
MIN – Own Goal (Ascel Essengue), 44th minute: Tani Oluwaseyi latched onto a long pass and fired a long shot from outside the 18-yard box that beat LA goalkeeper Simon Jillson.
LA – Brandon Téllez, (Aaron Bibout), 6th minute: Aaron Bibout chested down a floating ball and flicked it to the top of the 18-yard box to Brandon Téllez, whose low, driven shot was fired in at the far corner of the goal.
MIN – Emmanuel Iwe (Penalty Kick), 36th minute: Emmanuel Iwe’s penalty-kick attempt was converted at the lower right corner of the goal.
- LA Galaxy II had an expected goals total of 2.71 compared to MNUFC2’s 1.53.
- Los Dos outshot Minnesota 19-9, including holding a 5-4 advantage in shots on target.
- LA held a 74.7% possession advantage in the match against Minnesota (25.3%).
- Galaxy II created four big chances compared to MNUFC2’s one big chance created.
- Seven players with ties to the LA Galaxy Academy started in the match against Minnesota: Carson Klein, Marcus Ferkranus, Adam Saldaña, Adrián González, Brandon Téllez, Alex Alcalá and Jonathan Pérez.
- Juan Calderón, Diego López and Matteo Carbone, each current LA Galaxy Academy players, appeared off the bench for Los Dos.
- Notably, the average age of the LA Galaxy II starting lineup in the match against MNUFC2 was 19.8 years of age.
- LA Galaxy defender Marcus Ferkranus and midfielders Adam Saldaña and Jonathan Pérez were sent on loan to LAGalaxy II for the match against MNUFC2.
- In his first start of the season, Brandon Téllez tallied his first career professional goal and the first goal scored for GII in MLS NEXT Pro history, while recording seven possessions won.
- Aaron Bibout recorded his first professional assist and recorded a game-high eight shots.
- Alex Alcalá tallied a game-high five chances created.
- Adam Saldaña recorded a game-high 100 passes completed (94.3% pass accuracy), while winning seven duels, three tackles and six possessions in the match against MNUFC2.
- Marcus Ferkranus recorded a team-high four clearances and three interceptions.
- LA Galaxy Academy defender Matteo Carbone made his professional debut, playing eight minutes off the bench.
Next up, LA Galaxy II travel to face Whitecaps FC 2 at Swangard Stadium on Sunday, April 16. The April 16 match kicks off at 5:00 p.m. PT and will be streamed live on MLSNEXTPro.com.
2023 MLS NEXT Pro Regular Season
LA Galaxy II (0-3-0, 0pts) vs. MNUFC2 (3-0-0, 9pts)
Sunday, April 9, 2023 – Dignity Health Sports Park’s Track & Field Stadium (Los Angeles)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
LA Galaxy II 1 0 1
MNUFC2 2 0 2
MIN: Oluwaseyi (O’Driscoll), 3
LA: Téllez (Bibout), 6
MIN: Iwe (penalty kick), 36
MIN: Rodas (caution), 11
LA: (caution), 36
MIN: Fischer (caution), 76
LA: González (caution), 90+3
LA: GK Simon Jillson; D Carson Klein, D Marcus Ferkranus, D Ascel Essengue, D Elijah Amadin (Matteo Carbone, 82); M Adam Saldaña, M Adrián González, M Alex Alcalá (Juan Calderón, 90), M Jonathan Pérez (Diego López, 82), M Brandon Téllez (Axel Picazo, 67); F Aaron Bibout
Substitutes Not Used: GK Nolan Anderson; D Owen Bizzaro, D Javier Zapien, M Luis Medina, F Brendan Bell
TOTAL SHOTS: 19 (Aaron Bibout, 8); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Aaron Bibout, 2); FOULS: 9 (Adrián González, Axel Picazo, 2); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 12; SAVES: 2
MIN: GK Fred Emmings; D Carlos Leatherman; D Britton Fischer, D Geremy Rodas, D Devin Padelford; M Molik Khan, M Rory O’Driscoll, M Zaydan Bello, F Emmanuel Iwe (Diogo Pacheco, 67), F Tani Oluwaseyi (Patrick Weah, 82), F Juan Mosquera (Loic Mesanvi, 67)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Fatorma Conneh, D Will Pulisic, D Nick Richardson, M Keith Romanshyn, F CC Uche
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 11; OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 3
Referee: Adam Zarrin
Assistant Referees: Salma Perez, Justin Fillmore
Fourth Official: Dion Cox
Weather: Clear, 72 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial