|Click the photos below to see before and after images from past Reading Garden Challenge Winners!|
2013 Reading Garden Challenge
Elementary schools (grades K-5) located in Carson, Compton, Gardena, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Lakewood, Lawndale, Lomita, Long Beach, Lynwood, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, San Pedro, and Torrance are invited to take part in the 2013 Reading Garden Challenge, a joint initiative of the LA Galaxy Foundation and The Home Depot Center Charitable Foundation, to encourage literacy and highlight Earth Day.
For the Challenge, students must read (or be read) Earth Day-themed books for 30 minutes a day for 30 days and log their minutes. The school that logs the most reading minutes will have a Reading Garden built at their school. The second place finishing school will receive a visit by one (1) LA Galaxy player. The third place finishing school will receive a visit by the Galaxy Street Team, Star Squad and mascot Cozmo.
In case of a tie, the schools with the most Reading Garden Challenge reading minutes logged will be entered into a random drawing conducted by the LA Galaxy Foundation and The Home Depot Center Charitable Foundation. The winning school will have a Reading Garden built at their school by the LA Galaxy Foundation and The Home Depot Center Charitable Foundation.
All students who participate in the challenge will be rewarded with a Reading Garden Challenge bookmark or book cover.
All schools located in the designated areas that meet the following criteria (additional restrictions may apply) may participate:
- Have a viable 40’ x 30’ grass or dirt space available for the Reading Garden
- District approval for the build including Risk Management and District Carpenter
- Staff available to maintain the garden
- Agreement to review of garden maintenance
- Available for installation April 22-25, 2013
* Please note: Schools must have district approval by March 12, 2013. Click here for the LAUSD Risk Management Forms and contact information. *If you are located in a difference school district, please contact your main/principal office for details.