CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, March 18, 2014) – The LA Galaxy were eliminated from the CONCACAF Champions League as the Galaxy fell to Club Tijuana 4-2, losing 4-3 on aggregate, at Estadio Caliente in Tijuana, Mexico on Tuesday night. Robbie Keane tallied two goals as the visitors mounted a comeback, but the Galaxy were never able to recover from allowing three goals inside the opening 30 minutes.
The Galaxy now shift their focus back to MLS. Bruce Arena’s squad will head to Salt Lake City for a second consecutive league match against Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, March 22 at 1:00 p.m. PT live on NBC Sports Network.
LA Galaxy 2, Club Tijuana 4
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Estadio Caliente – Tijuana, Mexico
TJ – Jaimen Ayovi 2’
TJ – Jaimen Ayovi 9’
TJ – Darío Benedetto 27’
LA – Robbie Keane 47’
TJ – Richard Ruiz 82’
LA – Robbie Keane 85’
LA – James Riley (Yellow Card) 25’
LA – Marcelo Sarvas (Yellow Card) 53’
TJ – Greg Garza (Yellow Card) 62’
TJ – Cirilo Saucedo (Yellow Card) 90’
LA Galaxy: Jaime Penedo; A.J. DeLaGarza, Omar Gonzalez, Leonardo, James Riley (Todd Dunivant 46’); Gyasi Zardes (Stefan Ishizaki 69’), Marcelo Sarvas, Juninho, Landon Donovan; Robbie Keane©, Samuel (Rob Friend 46’)
Substitutes Not Used: Brian Perk, Tommy Meyer, Baggio Husidic, Chandler Hoffman
Club Tijuana: Cirilo Salcedo; Javier Gandolfi©, Hernan Pellerano Juan Carlos Núñez, Greg Garza, Elio Castro; Cristian Pellerano, Joe Corona (Richard Ruiz 68’), Javier Güemez; Jaimen Ayovi (Fidel Martinez 77’), Darío Benedetto (Herculez Gómez 88’)
Substitutes Not Used: Edgar Castillo, Fernando Arce, Juan de Dios Hernandez, Adrián Zermeño
Referee: Roberto Moreno
Referee’s Assistants: Daniel Williamson and Hermenerito Leal
4th Official: John Pitti
- All-time the Galaxy is 13-8-3 in CONCACAF Champions League play.
- The Galaxy appeared in their third consecutive quarterfinals of the regional competition. All-time, the Galaxy are 2-2-2 in the quarterfinals.
- Since first appearing in the Champions League in August 2010, the Galaxy are 2-4-0 against Mexican opposition.
- With his two goals, Keane established himself as the Galaxy’s all-time leading scorer in CCL action with seven goals in 12 appearances.
- Rob Friend played his first CONCACAF Champions League game as members of the LA Galaxy.
- Marcelo Sarvas made his 19th career CONCACAF Champions League appearance. The Brazilian midfielder has made 13 with the Galaxy and six with Costa Rican side Alajuelense.
- The Galaxy will be back in action on Saturday, March 22 when they travel Utah to face Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium. That game will kick off at 1 p.m. and will be broadcasted live locally on NBC Sports Network.
- For more about tonight’s game, please check out all the news on www.lagalaxy.com.
Season tickets for the 2014 MLS season are still available, starting at $12.50 per game. Becoming a Galaxy Season Ticket Member gives fans the opportunity to see every Galaxy home game as well as a number of additional benefits such as access to the new LA Galaxy Locker Room Rewards program, extra savings on additional single and group tickets, early entrance into the stadium and much more. For more information about becoming a Galaxy Season Ticket Member, please call 877-3GALAXY (342-5299) or visit www.lagalaxy.com/tickets.