CARSON, Calif. (Friday, Oct. 16, 2015) – LA Galaxy II fell to the Rochester Rhinos, 2-1 at Sahlem’s Stadium in Rochester in the 2015 USL Championship Friday night, ending the team’s 2015 USL season. Forward Ariel Lassiter scored his fourth goal of the USL Playoffs, but Los Dos conceded two late goals to Rochester.
The first half ended scoreless as Galaxy II came close to scoring on several occasions. The best chance came shortly after the start of the match from a free kick on the edge of the 18 yard box. The ball took a deflection and fell to Bryan Olivera, who fired a one-touch shot on frame, but Rochester goalkeeper Brandon Miller parried the shot away.
Los Dos forward Ariel Lassiter opened the scoring in the 65th minute when he buried a loose ball off of a free kick. Defender Daniel Steres flicked a ball to the back post before a shot from Bradley Diallo bounced off the upper post, but Lassiter was there to finish it and give Los Dos a 1-0 lead.
Two late goals from Rochester’s Asani Samuels gave the hosts the win on the night, with both goals from headers off of corner kicks. The forward scored first in the 92nd minute of play to tie the game at one apiece before scoring the game winner with just minutes left in overtime before the match ended.
Los Dos pushed for a late equalizer, but were unable to find the back of the net in the closing seconds.
LA Galaxy II finished the USL Regular Season in fifth place in Western Conference standings with a 14-11-3 record to qualify for the USL Playoffs for the second-straight year. They were led in goals by forward Ariel Lassiter, who has scored 15 times between the USL Regular Season and USL Playoffs. LA Galaxy Homegrown Player Raul Mendiola added 10 total assists for Los Dos on the year with Galaxy II goalkeeper Clement Diop earning 10 shutouts. LA Galaxy II also recorded the best road record in USL, going 11-7-0 in all competitions including regular season and playoffs.
For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.
LA Galaxy II 1, Rochester Rhinos 2
Friday, Oct. 16 – 4:30 p.m. PT
USL Playoffs – 2015 USL Championship
Sahlen’s Stadium – Rochester, New York
LA – Ariel Lassiter 65’
ROC – Asani Samuels (Assisted by Jonny Mendoza) 90’+2
ROC – Asani Samuels (Assisted by Kenardo Forbes) 113’
LA Galaxy II: Clement Diop (Bennett Sneddon ); Joe Franco, Daniel Steres ©, Bradley Diallo, Oscar Sorto (Tommy Meyer 71’), Raul Mendiola (Ignacio Maganto 49’), Andre Auras, Kenney Walker, Bryan Olivera (Alejandro Covarrubias 75’); Ariel Lassiter (Travis Bowen 80’); Jack McBean.
Substitutions not used: Lee Nishanian, Jaime Villarreal.
- LA Galaxy II fell to the Rochester Rhinos 2-1 on the road at Sahlem’s Stadium in the 2015 USL Championship.
- LA Galaxy II forward Ariel Lassiter scored for the third-straight playoff match. He scored both goals in Los Dos’ USL Western Conference Semifinal win over OC Blues in the conference semifinal before notching a goal against OKC Energy FC in the conference final last match.
- Los Dos head coach Curt Onalfo trotted out the same-starting lineup for the third-consecutive match of the 2015 USL Playoffs.
- Head Coach Curt Onalfo trotted out a starting lineup featuring four LA Galaxy Academy products: Raul Mendiola, Joe Franco, Jack McBean and Oscar Sorto.
- Acquired prior to the 2015 USL season, French goalkeeper Clement Diop is the Galaxy II player with the most games and minutes during Los Dos’ 2015 campaign with 27 games played including Playoffs and regular season.
- The 18-man gameday roster featured five LA Galaxy loanees: midfielder Raul Mendiola, midfielder Ignacio Maganto, midfielder Kenney Walker, defender Oscar Sorto and defender Tommy Meyer.
- LA Galaxy II finished the USL Regular Season in fifth place in Western Conference standings with a 14-11-3 record to qualify for the USL Playoffs for the second-straight year.
- For more information, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.