LA Galaxy II (4-1-4) were shutout for the first time of the 2016 season in a 0-2 loss to Sacramento Republic FC (3-1-3) at StubHub Center on Saturday night. It marks Los Dos’ first loss of the season.
For only the second time this season, LA Galaxy II allowed their opponent to score first. A Lee Nishanian hand ball just outside the top of the box allowed Sacramento’s Emrah Klimenta the chance to put a perfectly placed free kick past LA’s Clement Diop in the top corner of the near post.
LA were shutout in the first half. Before kickoff, LA had scored in the first half of each of their last four games.
In the second half, Sacramento put LA in an even bigger hole when nicely worked buildup play from the visitors resulted in an easy goal for Republic forward Harry Williams. Despite plenty of pressure, LA was unable to find the back of the net in the remainder of the game. Jack McBean gave Los Dos their closest chance in the 90th minute when his free kick just outside the top of the box banged off the crossbar.
Los Dos next travel north of the border to take on the USL’s last remaining unbeaten team, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2, on Sunday, May 15 at UBC Thunderbird Stadium. They’ve seen Vancouver once this year already; the two sides drew 2-2 on April 22 at StubHub Center. For a full Los Dos schedule, visit //www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
LA – None
SAC – Emrah Klimenta 16’, Harry Williams (Assisted by Thomas Stewart) 62’
LA Galaxy II Starting XI: Clement Diop; Nathan Smith, Lee Nishanian, Jeffrey Payeras, Oscar Sorto (Josh Turnley 76’); Denzel Slager (Jose Villarreal 58’), Bryam Rebellon (Alejandro Covarrubias 63’), Ryo Fujii (Jaime Villarreal 63’), Adrian Vera (Raul Mendiola 58’); Ariel Lassiter, Jack McBean
Substitutions not used: Ethan Zubak, Bennett Sneddon
Referee: Alex Chilowicz
Referee’s Assistants: Eduardo Jeff, Osvaldo Delgado-Landeros
4th Official: Vincent Apple-Chiarella
- For only the second time this season, LA allowed their opponent to score first. The last time that happened, they trailed 3-0 before climbing all the way back to earn a 3-3 tie on the road against Real Monarchs SLC.
- Before tonight, Los Dos had scored in the first half of their previous four games.
- Los Dos were shutout for the first time of the 2016 season on Saturday.
- Los Dos is now 2-1-6 against Sacramento Republic FC all-time. Los Dos have never beaten Sacramento at StubHub Center.
- Prior to tonight, Los Dos had scored in the first half of each of their last four matches.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Adrian Vera made his first appearance and start for LA Galaxy II in 2016. He went 58 minutes.
- LA Galaxy members Oscar Sorto, Ariel Lassiter, Clement Diop, Raul Mendiola and Jose Villarreal all participated in Saturday’s match against Sacramento.
- The Galaxy hit the road to face the unbeaten Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2. It’ll be the second time the two sides have met this season; they drew 2-2 on April 22 at StubHub Center. For a full schedule, visit //www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.