LA Galaxy II 3, Portland Timbers 2 4
StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium
Saturday, August 6, 2016
2016 USL Regular Season
LA Galaxy II (9-4-8, 35 points) fell at home to Portland Timbers 2 (6-11-4, 22 points) by a score of 4-3 on Saturday, Aug. 6 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. The team played in front of 2,019 fans, the largest crowd for a Los Dos game at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
In the match, Los Dos got on the board early with a little help from Portland Timbers 2. New Portland Timbers signee Steven Taylor scored one for the home team in the 9th minute when he misplayed a cross put into the box as part of an early Los Dos attack.
Ariel Lassiter followed up the early T2 error soon after when he received a neatly threaded through ball from defender Oscar Sorto and put home a left-footed golazo from just outside the penalty area. It was his fourth goal of the season in his first start after coming back from an injury that kept him sidelined for most of the summer.
Los Dos weren’t finished on the half, and they struck again just before the sound of the first-half whistle. The Timbers 2 backline poorly dealt with a clearance up the middle of the field from the LA Galaxy II defense and the ball fell to the feet of Adonis Amaya. Amaya was able to beat the defenders to the ball and he poked a pass between them to put Lassiter through on goal for a 1-on-1 with Timbers 2 goalkeeper Wade Hamilton at the top of the box. Lassiter converted calmly, and the Galaxy went into the locker with a comfortable 3-0 lead.
In the second half, LA Galaxy II looked to have the match in hand before a straight red card was shown to forward Adonis Amaya in the 59th minute for dissent.
Timbers 2 capitalized quickly and scored two minutes later when midfielder Blake Bodily received a ball from forward Augustine Williams and beat LA Galaxy II goalkeeper Bennett Sneddon 1-on-1 to put his team on the scoreboard.
Things got more tense for LA when a Lee Nishanian handball in the box off a T2 throw in allowed Villyan Bijev to convert a penalty kick in the 62nd minute.
T2 continued the pressure and were able to get the equalizer in the 87th minute when LA Galaxy II’s Nathan Smith was unable to clear away a Timbers cross before the ball fell to Villyan Bijev who slotted the ball home and give Timbers 2 the equalizer.
Portland completed the comeback in the 90th minute when T2’s Nico Brett received a pass from Victor Arboleda and created space in the box to get off a curling effort that tipped off Sneddon’s gloves before settling in the back of the net.
Having played their only home game of the month, Los Dos are back on the road for the first of a five-game road stretch. LA Galaxy II faces OKC Energy FC at Taft Stadium at 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, August 13. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
LA – Own goal (Steven Taylor) 9’, Ariel Lassiter (Assisted by Oscar Sorto) 15’, Ariel Lassiter (Assisted by Adonis Amaya) 45’+
T2 – Blake Bodily (Assisted by Augustine Williams) 62’, Villyan Bijev (penalty kick) 67’, Villyan Bijev 87’, Neco Brett (Assisted by Victor Arboleda) 90’
LA Galaxy II: Bennett Sneddon; Nathan Smith, Lee Nishanian, Jefrey Payeras, Oscar Sorto (Hugo Arellano 45’); Bradford Jamieson IV (Adrian Vera 85’), Raul Mendiola, Alejandro Covarrubias (Denzel Slager 89’), Bryam Rebellon (Ryo Fujii 89’); Adonis Amaya, Ariel Lassiter (Ethan Zubak 73’)
Substitutions not used: Kainoa Bailey, Clement Diop
- LA Galaxy II (9-4-8, 35 points) fell at home to Portland Timbers 2 (6-11-4, 22 points) by a score of 3-4 on Saturday, Aug. 6 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- Team played in front of 2,019 fans, the largest crowd for a Los Dos game at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- Ariel Lassiter scored his 4th and 5th goals on the season for Los Dos. That’s five goals in eight appearances on the season.
- LA Galaxy II are now 6-2-4 at home in 2016. Portland are now 2-6-1 on the road.
- LA Galaxy II defender Jefrey Payeras was called up by Guatemalan National Team for the first time for a friendly against Panama in Panama on Wednesday, August 10.
- 14 players have scored for LA Galaxy II in 2016. That’s the most in the Western Conference.
- Los Dos lead the USL in goals scored (43). Jack McBean leads LA Galaxy II with 15 goals. Jaime Villarreal and Josh Turnley co-lead the team with four assists.
- Jose and Jaime Villarreal were both suspended for Saturday’s game due to yellow card accumulation. Ja. Villarreal co-leads the team in assists and has participated in each game of the season so far. Jo. Villarreal is the team’s second leading scorer.
- Jack McBean and Raul Mendiola participated in the Chipotle MLS Homegrown Game on July 27 at Avaya Stadium in San Jose, Calif. The Landon Donovan-coached squad fell 0-2 to the Mexico U-20s.
- Having played their only home game of the month, Los Dos are back on the road for the first of a five-game road stretch. LA Galaxy II faces OKC Energy FC at Taft Stadium at 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, August 13. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
LA Galaxy II single-game tickets are now on sale to the public. Fans can go to //www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2 to purchase single-game tickets for the 2016 USL Regular Season. Los Dos tickets to each of the team’s 2016 home matches can be purchased for just $10. Home matches at StubHub Center feature free parking for attending fans on non-StubHub Center event days.
2016 LA Galaxy II Mini Season Plan Ticket Packages for the remainder of the 2016 USL season are available for purchase now. Fans should visit www.lagalaxy.formstack.com/forms/galaxy_2_mini_plan to secure their seats or call 877-3GALAXY (342-5299). For single-game tickets, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.