LA Galaxy II 2, Arizona United SC 1
Peoria Sports Complex (Peoria, Ariz.)
August 31, 2016
2016 USL Regular Season
7:30 p.m. PT
LA Galaxy II (10-6-9, 39 points) defeated Arizona United SC (8-12-6, 30 points) 2-1 on Wednesday night at Peoria Sports Complex in Peoria, Ariz behind goals from Ariel Lassiter and Adonis Amaya. Amaya's assist and game-winning goal helped LA Galaxy II break a five-game winless streak.
For the second game in a row, LA Galaxy II were first on the scoreboard. In the 16th minute, Alejandro Covarrubias played a through ball over the top and into the box for Adonis Amaya. Amaya was beaten to the ball, but took advantage of a misplayed header and settled the ball before sliding a pass just outside the top of the six-yard box for a charging Ariel Lassiter to easily finish.
In the 28th, the home side was able to equalize off a free kick taken just inside their half. Arizona's Peter Ramage found the end of the free kick and sent a looping header back toward the top of the box where United's Luke Rooney smashed a brilliant left-footed volley into the top corner of the net. The half finished 1-1.
In the second half, LA Galaxy II pressed on, determined to break their five-game winless streak. And they were able to do so in the 73rd minute when a high-pressing Bradford Jamieson IV forced a turnover and poked the ball into open space where a streaking Adonis Amaya dribbled up the middle to the top of the area before putting a shot between the legs of the Arizona goalkeeper.
The goal would prove to be the game-winner with help from an incredible kick-save by Diop in the 75th minute. The win breaks the team's longest winless streak in LA Galaxy II history.
Next, Los Dos are on the road to play the last of a five-game road stretch against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC at 6:00 p.m. PT on Saturday, Sept. 3 at Switchbacks Stadium in Colorado Springs, Colo. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
LA – Ariel Lassiter 16' (Assisted by Adonis Amaya), Adonis Amaya 73' (Assisted by Bradford Jamieson IV)
AZ - Luke Rooney 28'
LA Galaxy II: Clement Diop; Josh Turnley, Hugo Arellano, Bradley Diallo (Lee Nishanian 61'), Nathan Smith; Rafael Garcia, Alejandro Covarrubias, Bryam Rebellon; Ariel Lassiter (Bradford Jamieson IV 61'), Adonis Amaya (Kainoa Bailey 83'), Denzel Slager (Jose Villarreal 69')
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Ryo Fujii, Jaime Villarreal
- LA Galaxy II (10-6-9, 39 points) defeated Arizona United SC (8-12-6, 30 points) 2-1 on Wednesday night at Peoria Sports Complex in Peoria, Ariz
- LA Galaxy's Ariel Lassiter scored his sixth goal of the season for Los Dos. He is now tied with Jose Villarreal for active team leader in goals.
- Adonis Amaya tallied his third goal and third assist of the season for Los Dos.
- Bradley Diallo made his first appearance for LA Galaxy II on the season. An ACL injury ahead of the season had kept him sidelined up until this point.
- 15 players have scored for LA Galaxy II in 2016, the most of any Western Conference team.
- Los Dos are now 4-4-5 on the road in 2016. Arizona United SC is 4-5-4 at home.
- LA Galaxy II’s Jefrey Payeras was called up to the Guatemalan National Team for their upcoming friendlies and missed Wednesday's match.
- Los Dos lead the Western Conference in goals scored (46). Jose Villarreal and Ariel Lassiter lead the team in goals (6). Jaime Villarreal, Jose Villarreal and Josh Turnley co-lead the team with four assists.
- Next, Los Dos are on the road to play the last of a five-game road stretch against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC at 6:00 p.m. PT on Saturday, Sept. 3 at Switchbacks Stadium in Colorado Springs, Colo.For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
LA Galaxy II is now offering the Endless Soccer Ticket Package for Los Dos’ three remaining home matches of the 2016 season. Fans who purchase the package will receive four tickets to an LA Galaxy II match, four LA Galaxy coolers and four coupons for free soda from Shasta Beverages. To purchase the Endless Soccer Ticket Package click here.