LA Galaxy II 0, San Antonio FC 3
Toyota Field – San Antonio
Saturday, April 1, 2017
2017 USL Regular Season
5:30 p.m. PT
SAN ANTONIO (Saturday, April 1, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (1-1-0, 3 points) lost 3-0 to San Antonio FC 2 (2-0-0, 6 points) on Saturday evening at Toyota Field in San Antonio. Los Dos’ first loss comes in their first road match of the 2017 season.
San Antonio were first on the board when forward César Elizondo found speedy midfielder Billy Forbes with a through ball down the left side of the field. Forbes carried the ball into the box and blasted a shot towards Los Dos ‘keeper Jon Kempin. Kempin made the save, but the ball found its way back to Forbes, who managed to put a pass to SAFC’s Rafael Castillo near the penalty spot for the easy finish.
The pressure from San Antonio continued, and they would get a second goal from Michael Reed in the 29th minute. After Ben Newman put a low cross into the box from the right side of the field, a cutting Elizondo faked receipt of the ball, letting it roll to Reed in the middle of the box. Reed’s shot took a fortunate deflection off LA Galaxy II’s Jean Engola and found the back of the net.
Jaime Villarreal hit the post on a free kick near the end of the half, but Los Dos entered the half down 2-0.
LA were able to bring more chances against San Antonio in the second half, but lacked the ability to connect passes in the final third. San Antonio would seal the match with a third and final goal in the 77th minute. After receiving a defensive clearance, a through ball from Elizondo found a sprinting Forbes. Kempin was able to get the tip of his glove on the incoming shot, but the ball still managed to find the back of the net.
SA – Rafael Castillo 12’ (Assisted by Billy Forbes)
SA – Michael Reed 29’ (Assisted by Ben Newman)
SA – Billy Forbes 77’ (Assisted by César Elizondo)
LA – Bradley Diallo 13’ (caution)
SA – Stephen McCarthy 18’ (caution)
LA – Jaime Villarreal (ejection)
SA - César Elizondo (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Jon Kempin; Tyler Turner, Jean Engola (Ian Lonergan 90’), Hugo Arellano, Bradley Diallo; Adrian Vera, Ryo Fujii (Andre Zanga 90’), Jaime Villarreal, Raul Mendiola (Justin Dhillon 60’); Ethan Zubak, Adonis Amaya
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Zico Bailey, Jonathan Estrada
SA: GOALS: 3 | SHOTS: 10 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 6 | OFFSIDES: 7 | CORNERS: 6 | SAVES: 1
LA: GOALS: 0 | SHOTS: 5 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 1 | OFFSIDES: 0 | CORNERS: 5 | SAVES: 3
Attendance: 8, 074
· LA Galaxy II (1-1-0, 3 points) lost 3-0 to San Antonio FC 2 (2-0-0, 6 points) on Saturday evening at Toyota Field in San Antonio.
· With the loss, Los Dos now sit 7th in the USL Western Conference standings.
· All-time, LA Galaxy II are now 1-1-1 against San Antonio FC.
· LA Galaxy II’s first loss comes in their first road match of the 2017 season.
· Los Dos concedes three goals in the match after recording a shutout on opening day against Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2.
· Offseason addition Andre Zanga made his debut for LA Galaxy II on Saturday evening.
· LA Galaxy Academy defender Ian Lonergan made his second straight appearance for Los Dos. He subbed on for Jean Engola late in the match.
· Eight former LA Galaxy Academy players participated in the match: Hugo Arellano, Adrian Vera, Ryo Fujii, Jaime Villarreal, Raul Mendiola, Justin Dhillon, Ethan Zubak and Adonis Amaya.
· Five current LA Galaxy players started the match: Jon Kempin, Bradley Diallo, Hugo Arellano, Raul Mendiola and Jaime Villarreal. Mendiola was subbed off in the 60th minute, while Villarreal was red-carded in the 86th. All others played 90 minutes.
· Last time at Toyota Field, Los Dos won 3-2 with a one-goal, one-assist performance from Jaime Villarreal.
· LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
· In 2016, they led the USL Western Conference in goals scored (59).
· Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
· All-time, LA Galaxy II are now 42-21-25 in USL competition.
· Next, LA Galaxy II are on the road again when they face Phoenix Rising FC at 6:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, April 8 at Scottsdale Stadium in Scottsdale, Ariz.
· For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, click here