LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 1, Phoenix Rising FC 2
Saturday, April 8, 2017
2017 USL Regular Season
Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex – Phoenix, Ariz.
PHOENIX (Saturday, April 8, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (1-2-0, 3 points) lost 2-1 to Phoenix Rising FC (1-2-0, 3 points) on Saturday night at Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex. Despite an early second half score that gave Los Dos the game’s first goal, Phoenix forward Luke Rooney netted two goals in the final thirty minutes of play to handLA their second straight defeat.
An exciting first half ended 0-0, with both teams combining for 17 shots in the period. Phoenix carried the load in possession and shots, putting four on target and forcing three good saves from LA Galaxy II goalkeeper Jon Kempin to keep his side level. Phoenix almost broke through in in the 22nd minute when forward Shawn Wright-Phillips slammed a rebound ball off the woodwork.
Los Dos got things started after a fortunate break early in the second half. Midfielder and captain Ryo Fujii put a low cross into the box, looking for an incoming Ariel Lassiter. Phoenix defender Jordan Stewart was able to get in the way of the pass, but tripped over the ball setting it up perfectly for Adonis Amaya to finish.
The luck didn’t last long for Los Dos when in the 59th minute, forward Omar Bravo drew contact and a called foul from LA Galaxy II’s Adrian Vera in the penalty box, earning a penalty kick for his side. Forward Luke Rooney was able to step up to the spot and level the score for the home side.
Rooney would strike again for his team, and buried the game-winning opportunity in the 78thminute. After Phoenix pushed forward on a quick throw, Bravo received a ball without much pressure in the box, sliding a short pass to Rooney at the top of the box. With space in front of him, Rooney took one touch in toward the penalty spot and fired an uncontested shot on goal, easily finding the back of the net.
The Galaxy were presented with an opportunity to equalize in the second minute of extra-time, when a miscommunication in defense allowed a cleared ball to drop kindly to Ariel Lassiter with Phoenix’s goalkeeper well off the goal line. But Lassiter’s chip shot sailed just over the top of the bar, allowing Phoenix to close out the match and secure the three points.
LA – Adonis Amaya 51’
PHX – Luke Rooney 60’ (penalty kick)
PHX – Luke Rooney 78’ (Assisted by Omar Bravo)
LA – Jon Kempin 60’ (caution)
LA – Andre Zanga 81’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Jon Kempin; Tyler Turner, Jean Engola, Robert Castellanos, Josh Turnley (Ariel Lassiter 46’); Adrian Vera (Alex Juarez 86’), Andre Zanga, Ryo Fujii, Raul Mendiola; Ethan Zubak, Adonis Amaya
Substitutions not used: Justin Dhillon, Ian Lonergan, Bennett Sneddon, Jose Agredo
PHX: GOALS: 2 | SHOTS: 19 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 10 | OFFSIDES: 2 | CORNERS: 9 | SAVES: 4
LA: GOALS: 1 | SHOTS: 12 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 5 | OFFSIDES: 5 | CORNERS: 2 | SAVES: 8
Head Referee: Daniel Radford
· LA Galaxy II (1-2-0, 3 points) lost 2-1 to Phoenix Rising FC (1-2-0, 3 points) on Saturday night at Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex.
· LA Galaxy II (1-2-0, 3 points) currently sit 9th in the USL Western Conference standings.
· Adonis Amaya scored his first goal of the 2017 season for LA Galaxy II. The former Academy forward scored four goals for Los Dos in 2016.
· LA Galaxy goalkeeper Jon Kempin made eight saves for Los Dos on the evening, a single-game high for him in a Galaxy shirt.
· Newly acquired center back Robert Castellanos made his LA Galaxy II debut. Castellanos was signed from Liga MX’s Atlas F.C. in February. He played 90 minutes in the match.
· Offseason acquisition Andre Zanga also made his LA Galaxy II debut, starting in central midfield for Los Dos. Zanga joined LA in March from Kadji Sports Academy in Cameroon, along with fellow teammate Jean Engola. Zanga and Engola put in full shifts on Saturday night.
· LA Galaxy Academy’s Alex Juarez made his debut for Los Dos, subbing on for Adrian Vera in the 86th minute.
· Left back Josh Turnley returned from injury to make his first start of the 2017 season; Turnley made 23 appearances for Los Dos in 2016, tallying four assists along the way.
· Six former LA Galaxy Academy players participated in the match: Ryo Fujii, Adrian Vera, Raul Mendiola, Ethan Zubak and Adonis Amaya all started the match while Ariel Lassiter was subbed on at halftime.
· Three current LA Galaxy players participated in the match: Jon Kempin and Raul Mendiola started while forward Ariel Lassiter played 45 minutes.
· LA Galaxy II won all three of their 2016 matches against Phoenix Rising FC (formerly Arizona United SC).
· Los Dos defeated Arizona United SC 2-1 in the two sides’ previous meeting on Aug. 31, 2016.
· Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
· LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
· LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
· Next, LA Galaxy II back at home when they take on Seattle Sounders FC 2 at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 15 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.