LA Galaxy II (5-11-4, 19 points) extended their unbeaten streak to four tonight as they took down Orange County SC (7-4-5, 25 points) 1-0 at the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Los Dos are undefeated in the second half of the season (2-0-2).
Neither team was able to break through on offense in the first 45 minutes. The score was kept even after an athletic diving save from Galaxy goalkeeper Jon Kempin in the 38th minute. Although both teams had high quality chances, possession was mostly controlled by Orange County SC in the scoreless half.
Los Dos started the first half well offensively and finally struck first in the 57th minute, when Ryo Fujii and Ethan Zubak completed a beautiful give-and-go play finished off by Fujii to give Los Dos a 1-0 lead. Orange County came dangerously close to equalizing when Los Dos goalkeeper Kempin kept a penalty kick from Orange County out of the net.
Kempin made huge saves in the first and second halves, finishing with his second clean sheet of the season in tonight’s game. He now leads Los Dos in shutouts on only six starts this season.
Los Dos will host Phoenix Rising FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 5. Tickets for this match are available for purchase now, here.
LA – Ryo Fujii 57’ (Assisted by Ethan Zubak)
LA – Alejandro Covarrubias 15’ (caution)
OC – Juan Pablo Ocegueda 58’ (caution)
OC – Wuilito Fernandes 92’ (Caution)
Lineup: Jon Kempin; Josh Turnley, Robert Castellanos, Bradley Diallo (Jean Engola 46’) , Nathan Smith, Ryo Fujii, Alejandro Covarrubias ©, Andre Zanga (Alex Mendez 34’) , Raul Mendiola, Adrian Vera, Ethan Zubak ( Justin Dhillon 78’)
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Tyler Turner, Jonathan Hernandez
LA: SHOTS: 3 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 1 | FOULS: 10 | OFFSIDES: 5 | CORNERS: 2 | SAVES: 8
OC: SHOTS:15 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 8 | FOULS: 15 | OFFSIDES: 7 | CORNERS: 3 | SAVES: 0
Head Referee: Victor Rivas
- LA Galaxy II (4-11-5, 19 points) earned their first four-game unbeaten streak of the season with a 1-0 win against Orange County SC (7-4-5, 25 points) on Wednesday night at the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- Ryo Fujii’s game-winning goal marked his first goal for Los Dos this season.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Alex Mendez made his debut for LA Galaxy II tonight.
- Seven current or former members of the LA Galaxy Academy participated in tonight’s match: Nathan Smith, Ryo Fujii, Adrian Vera, Raul Mendiola, Ethan Zubak, Alex Mendez and Justin Dhillon.
- Four LA Galaxy players started the match for Los Dos: Jon Kempin, Nathan Smith, Bradley Diallo and Raul Mendiola
- Ethan Zubak leads the team with 3 assists.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
- LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
- Next, Los Dos will host Phoenix Rising FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 5. Tickets for the match are available now at www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.