Bradford Jamieson IV capitalized on the man advantage just before halftime, opening the scoring for the Galaxy with a well-taken shot off a Jermaine Jones feed. But LA could not hang on until the final whistle, and RSL get a big boost by drawing, going back above the playoff line for the time being in the Western Conference.
- THAT OLD MAGIC: Beckerman remains a key player for Real Salt Lake, but his days of scoring important goals appeared to mostly be behind him. He now has three goals on the season, bouncing back from the last two seasons, when he had a combined one goal, and the finish he provided on that walk-off goal showed the 35-year-old still has it.
- NOT AGAIN: On the other side, the Galaxy will be very upset with the way the game ended. The hosts had the game firmly in hand until about the 70-minute mark, when two fresh attackers, Brooks Lennon and Sebastian Saucedo, came off the bench and gave RSL's attack new life. The duo didn't dictate the play in the final minutes, but their energy helped lift the rest of the team, too, and RSL came close to equalizing a few times before the final play. Considering the Galaxy appeared to have the game well in hand, collapsing yet again isn't likely to sit well with Sigi Schmid, his players, or the fans.
- UNSUNG HERO: The other player who made an enormous impact on the game? RSL defender David Horst. Coming off the bench to replace Silva after the Uruguayan's ejection, Horst both saved a sure goal from Giovani dos Santos late in the match, before keeping the play alive and setting up Beckerman's goal. The veteran has never been in the spotlight, but this was absolutely a game to remember for Horst.
- LA: Sunday, Oct. 15 – vs. Minnesota (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
- RSL: Sunday, Oct. 15 – at Colorado (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
LA Galaxy Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy 1, Real Salt Lake 1
Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017 – 7:30 p.m. PT
2017 MLS Regular Season
StubHub Center – Los Angeles, Calif.
LA – Bradford Jamieson IV (Assisted by Jermaine Jones) 41’
RSL – Kyle Beckerman (Assisted by David Horst) 90’+5’
RSL – Marcelo Silva (ejection) 14’
LA – Gyasi Zardes (caution) 32’
LA – Bradford Jamieson IV (caution) 48’
LA – David Horst (caution) 81’
LA – Romain Alessandrini (caution) 85’
LA Galaxy: Clement Diop; Gyasi Zardes (Rafael Garcia 33’), Michael Ciani, Dave Romney, Ashley Cole; Romain Alessandrini, Jermaine Jones ©, Jonathan dos Santos, Emmanuel Boateng (Raul Mendiola 90’+2’); Bradford Jamieson IV (Ariel Lassiter 76’), Giovani dos Santos.
Substitutions not used: Brian Rowe, Hugo Arellano, Jack McBean, Jack McInerney.
Head Coach: Sigi Schmid
TOTAL SHOTS: 19; SHOTS ON GOAL: 8; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 7; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 5
Real Salt Lake: Nick Rimando; Danilo Acosta, Marcelo Silva, Tony Beltran, Justen Glad; Joao Plata, Jefferson Savarino (Sebastián Saucedo 69’), Kyle Beckerman ©, Albert Rusnak, Luke Mulholland (David Horst 18’), Luis Silva (Brooks Lennon 66’).
Substitutions not used: Yura Movsisyan, Matt Van Oekel, Sunny, Chris Wingert.
Head Coach: Mike Petke
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 6; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 6
Referee: Rubiel Vazquez
Assistant Referees: Ian Anderson, Cameron Blanchard
Fourth Official: Hilario Grajeda
VAR: Ramy Touchan