LA Galaxy II (1-6-4, 7 points) earned a 1-1 draw against Rio Grande Valley FC Toros (1-3-7, 10 points) thanks to Frank Lopez’s first professional goal with Los Dos on Wednesday evening in Edinburg, Texas.
Los Dos trailed soon after the start of the match, with a routine shot from distance by RGVFC’s Aldo Quintanilla finding the back of the net on a goalkeeper error from Wade Hamilton. Efrain Alvarez led Galaxy II in chances created, but Los Dos would enter the half trailing by one.
LA Galaxy II were on the front foot to start the second half, but couldn’t find their best opportunity until the 78th minute. Then, a ball from John Requejo found Ethan Zubak in the box and the ensuing header went just wide of the post.
In the 82nd, Hamilton redeemed himself with a huge kick save to help keep the score level. That allowed Frank Lopez, five minutes later, the chance to level the game. A perfectly placed through ball from Jean Engola forced the RGVFC goalkeeper well off his line, and Lopez was in the right spot to poke it out of his reach. With an open net and a tight angle, Lopez unleashed a perfect shot into the side netting.
With results in two of their last three fixtures, an improving Los Dos will return to StubHub Center on Saturday to face Las Vegas Lights FC for the first time. Tickets to that match are on sale now, available here.
RGV – Aldo Quintanilla 14’ (Assisted by Todd Wharton)
LA – Frank Lopez 87’ (Assisted by Jean Engola)
LA – Julian Büscher 5’ (caution)
LA – John Requejo 21’ (caution)
RGV – Matias Zaldivar 65’ (caution)
RGV – Jesus Enriquez 69’ (caution)
RGV – Todd Wharton 72’ (caution)
RGV.- John Montano 90’+1’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Wade Hamilton; Jonathan Hernandez (Frank Lopez 78’), John Requejo, Hugo Arellano, Jean Engola; Julian Büscher ©, Geoffrey Acheampong (Adrian Vera 61’), Bradford Jamieson IV (Miguel Aguilar HT), Andre Zanga; Ethan Zubak, Efrain Alvarez
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Emamanuel Appiah.
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 1; FOULS: 19; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 9; SAVES: 1.
Rio Grande Valley FC: Nicolas Corti; Kai Greene, Robert Castellanos, Kyle Adams, Jared Watts (Adam Lundqvist HT); Jesús Enriquez, Matiras Zladivar, Nicolas Perea, Todd Whaton ©; Mac Steeves (Jordan Jones 86’), Aldo Quintanilla
Substitutions not used: Omar Ontiveros, John Montano, Pablo Aguilar, , Matthew Sanchez, Jorginho James.
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 8; FOULS: 6; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 0.
Referee: Malik Badawi
- LA Galaxy II (1-6-4, 7 points) earned a 1-1 draw against Rio Grande Valley FC Toros (1-3-7, 10 points) on Wednesday evening in Edinburg, Texas.
- LA Galaxy II are 0-5-2 away from home in 2018.
- Frank Lopez scored his first professional goal in tonight’s match.
- Prior to this fixture, Efrain Alvarez had scored in three consecutive games.
- Julian Büscher, Nate Shultz and Miguel Aguilar co-lead LA Galaxy II in assists this season (2).
- Alvarez leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (6).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next, LA Galaxy II will return home to face Las Vegas Lights FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, May 26 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to that match are now on sale here.