LA Galaxy II (6-7-8, 26 points) will play this week’s match on the road as they face off against Portland Timbers 2 (7-6-7, 28 points) with the match kicking off at 6 p.m. PT on Sunday, July 28th at Providence Park in Portland. The match will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
LA Galaxy II are 6-3-0 all-time against Portland Timbers 2, winning the most recent fixture earlier this year in March in a hard fought 3-2 victory at Dignity Health Sports Park. Geoffrey Acheampong leveled the score 34 minutes into the first half, with Tomas Hilliard-Arce putting Los Dos in the lead four minutes later. Timbers 2 tied the game during the second half, but Hilliard-Arce scored his second goal of the match in extra time to grab the win and all three points for Galaxy II.
Los Dos will look to put in another good performance against Timbers 2 after winning 3-1 away against Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Wednesday, July 24th. Galaxy II started the match missing several key players who had featured for the LA Galaxy the day prior against Club Tijuana, and gave up a goal just three minutes into the game. However, Los Dos settled down after about 15 minutes, and were in control the rest of the way. Nate Shultz scored his first goal of the season, leveling the contest in the first half, and Augustine Williams scored his fourth of the year to put Galaxy II up by a goal not 10 minutes into the second half. Things only got worse for the Roughnecks from there, as they were reduced to ten men after a red card. Jorge Hernandez, after picking up his first Los Dos assist on Shultz’s goal, then scored his first goal for Galaxy II to put the game out of reach.
The home side come into this clash having not won in their last five USL Championship matches, dating back to the end of June, totaling four losses and one draw during that span. Most recently, Timbers 2 lost 2-1 away to Fresno FC. Portland failed to pick up any points, as Fresno scored two goals in the opening 20 minutes of the match. This week, they will look to get back on track against Los Dos, who sit in 12th place in the USL Western Conference. With Portland Timbers 2 occupying the 8th spot in the Western Conference standings, a win for Galaxy II could potentially see them jump into a playoff position.
Tulsa Roughnecks FC 1 | LA Galaxy II 3: LA Galaxy II defeated Western Conference opposition Tulsa Roughnecks FC away from home on Wednesday. In the match, Nate Shultz, Augustine Williams, and Jorge Hernandez scored the goals for Los Dos.
Fresno FC 2 | Portland Timbers 2 1: Portland Timbers 2 lost their most recent match on the road 2-1 against Western Conference opponents Fresno FC. Portland went down two goals early in the first half, and despite managing to score in the opening minutes of the second half, failed to take any points from their match with Fresno.
LA Galaxy II 3, Portland Timbers 2 2 | March 30, 2019 at Dignity Health Sports Park
Portland Timbers 2 7, LA Galaxy II 3 | May 18, 2018 at Providence Park
LA Galaxy II 3, Portland Timbers 2 4 | July 28, 2018 at Dignity Health Sports Park
LA Galaxy II: 10-17-7, 37 points
Portland Timbers 2: 17-13-4, 55 points
- LA Galaxy II (6-7-8, 26 points) defeated Western Conference opposition Tulsa Roughnecks FC (4-10-6, 18 points) 3-1 on Wednesday on the road at ONEOK Field in Tulsa, Okla.
- LA Galaxy II are 3-3-5 at home and 3-4-3 on the road in 2019.
- Portland Timbers 2 are 3-2-4 at home this year.
- LA Galaxy II sit 12th in the USL Championship Western Conference standings, even on points with three teams above them, but currently just outside of playoff contention.
- Portland Timbers II are currently occupying the 8th place spot in the USL Championship Western Conference standings.
- Kai Koreniuk leads the team in goals this year (5).
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (4).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II face Phoenix Rising FC at 7 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 3rd back at home at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.