Augustine Williams scored twice, including a late game-winner from the penalty spot, as LA Galaxy II moved into second place in Group B with a 3-2 victory against Las Vegas Lights FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Tuesday evening. Los Dos had trailed by a pair of goals after the opening half-hour before rallying to overtake Las Vegas with three-straight scores.
Las Vegas opened the game brightly as both Junior Sandoval and Quincy Amarikwa both tested Los Dos goalkeeper Abraham Romero, who was sharp to deny both opportunities. The visitors took the lead in the 22nd minute, however, as Amarikwa slid a pass through for Seth Moses, who fired home a finish into the right side of the net after slipping in behind the Galaxy II back line.
Amarikwa was at the center of Las Vegas' second goal six minutes later as Sandoval won possession on the right and found the veteran forward just beyond the center circle. Amarikwa quickly shifted play on to Yamikani Chester as he broke forward from midfield, and Chester finished the move with a low shot from the top of the penalty area.
Los Dos began their comeback eight minutes before halftime, though, as the side built through pressure in its defensive third to find Omar Ontiverso on the right. Driving forward from his own half, Ontiverso wove into the right channel past his marker and into space before picking out a perfect low cross that found Williams at the back post for a close-range finish to halve the deficit.
Galaxy II almost pulled level with the final chance of the first half as a deep cross from the left found Sebastian Nava in the right side of the penalty area. Nava pulled a pass back to Ivan Gutierrez, but his finish went just high and wide of the left post to leave Las Vegas on top at the break.
Los Dos threatened again just before the hour-mark as Jonathan Perez outpaced his defender on the right to get into a good position to shoot from the right side of the penalty area, only for Lights FC goalkeeper Edward Delgado to make a fine save to parry effort away.
Perez's speed would come into play again on the Galaxy II's equalizer in the 62nd minute, though, as Mauricio Cuevas first won possession in his own half and then sent a 50-yard ball over the top that Perez was able to reach before his marker in the right channel. Perez held off the pressure from behind and finished calmly into the right corner of the net.
Las Vegas had a big chance to regain the lead with 15 minutes to go as Moses delivered a pass to Rashawn Dally in the left side of the penalty area for a shot that Romero deflected wide for a corner.
With seven minutes to go, however, Los Dos earned the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot as Williams got a ball by Galaxy II defender Jalen Neal first and was brought down by Delgado in the area. Williams stepped up and fired his shot into the bottom-right corner to give the hosts their first lead of the night.
Las Vegas tried to find a way to equalize in the closing minutes, and Chester had a low shot from beyond the penalty area that was saved by Romero in stoppage time. Los Dos held firm, however, to take all three points and provide the race for the playoffs in Group B with another intriguing twist.
USL Championship.com Man of the Match
Augustine Williams, LA Galaxy II - Williams scored twice, had six shots overall and completed 17 of 22 passes to lead Los Dos to an impressive comeback victory to boost their playoff chances.
LV - Seth Moses 22'
LV - Yamikani Chester 28'
LA - Augustine Williams (Assisted by Omar Ontiveros) 37'
LA - Jonathan Perez (Assisted by Mauricio Cuevas) 62'
LA - Augustine Williams (penalty) 84'
LA - Sebastian Nava (caution) 65'
LV - Edward Delgado (caution) 83'
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Omar Ontiveros, Jesus Vazquez, Jalen Neal, Mauricio Cuevas; Adrian Vera, Adam Saldana; Sebastian Nava (Isaac Bawa 73'), Jorge Hernandez, Ivan Gutierrez (Jonathan Perez 45' [Adrian Gonzalez 90']); Augustine Williams.
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Sebastian Hernandez, Victor Valdez, Carson Klein.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Brandon Stevis
- LA Galaxy II earned a 3-2 win over Las Vegas Lights FC Tuesday evening at Dignity Health Sports Park Wednesday evening.
- LA Galaxy II are in second place of Group B in the USL Championship standings.
- With the result, LA Galaxy II are now 7-5-0 with 21 points during the 2020 season (3-3-0 at home and 4-3-0 on the road).
- LA Galaxy II have won four of their previous six contests.
- LA Galaxy II forward Augustine Williams tallied his eighth and ninth goals of the season.
- Williams leads LA Galaxy II in scoring and is tied for third-most in USL Championship.
- LA Galaxy Academy product Jonathan Perez scored his third goal of the season.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 14-10-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy II are in action next when they host San Diego Loyal SC on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 7 p.m. PT.
- In the revised USL schedule, the league's clubs will play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights FC and Orange County SC.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.