LA Galaxy II (4-2-5, 17 points) drew 1-1 with Seattle Sounders FC 2 (1-5-4, 7 points) on Sunday night at Starfire Stadium in Tukwila, Wash.
Back in the Pacific Northwest for their second straight road match, LA were looking to break their two-game losing streak in their only 2016 meeting with Seattle Sounders FC 2. Midway into the first half, Alejandro Covarrubias earned two yellow cards in the span of seven minutes, leaving Los Dos to complete the remaining 65 minutes of the match with 10 men.
Seattle was able to take advantage just before halftime when Myron Samuel put a cross in to the top of the box that found midfielder Mark O’Ojong who then perfectly placed his shot in the top corner, beating Los Dos goalkeeper Clement Diop.
LA held firm in the second half holding out for a chance. In the 81st minute of play, Los Dos midfielder Raul Mendiola put in a corner that found the head of a leaping Ethan Zubak, who put the ball back across the face of the goal to Dave Romney who was in perfect position to slot home the equalizer.
In stoppage time, Seattle was in position to get the winner, when a goal bound shot was saved by a diving Diop at the last second. LA would hold on to secure the draw and escape Seattle with a point. LA is now 1-1-2 on the road this season.
Next, LA Galaxy II returns home for a rematch against Arizona United SC at the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium on Saturday, May 28th at 7:30 p.m. PT. In their first meeting, LA defeated Arizona 2-0 behind a brace from Ariel Lassiter on March 26. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.
LA – Dave Romney 81’ (Assisted by Ethan Zubak, Raul Mendiola)
SEA – Mark O’Ojong 43’ (Assisted by Myron Samuel)
LA Galaxy II Starting XI: Clement Diop, Nathan Smith (Adrian Vera 81’), David Romney, Lee Nishanian, Josh Turnley; Raul Mendiola, Ryo Fujii (Ethan Zubak 74’), Alejandro Covarrubias; Jack McBean, Jaime Villarreal, Jose Villarreal (Oscar Sorto 33’)
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Jeffrey Payeras, Kainoa Bailey
Referee: Rosendo Mendoza
Referee’s Assistants: Christian Clerc, Benjamin Moore
4th Official: Connor Hazelwood
- LA Galaxy II (4-2-5, 17 points) earned a 1-1 road draw against Seattle Sounders FC 2 (1-5-4, 7 points) on Sunday, May 22 at Starfire Stadium in Tukwila, Wash.
- LA continue to lead USL in goals scored. They’ve scored 21 goals in 11 games.
- After the draw, Los Dos are now 1-1-2 on the road in 2016.
- Ethan Zubak, who just signed for Galaxy II on Thursday, May 19, recorded an assist in the match.Dave Romney’s goal in the 81st minute was his first of the season.
- Next, LA Galaxy II returns home for a rematch against Arizona United SC at 7:30 p.m. PT at the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. In their first meeting on March 26, LA defeated Arizona 2-0 behind a brace from Ariel Lassiter.
- For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.