LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 1, Seattle Sounders FC 2 2
Saturday, April 15, 2017
2017 USL Regular Season
StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium – Los Angeles, Calif.
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Saturday, April 15, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (1-3-0, 3 points) fell 2-1 to Seattle Sounders FC 2 (2-2-0, 6 points) on Saturday night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
Seattle opened the scoring early, capitalizing on a turnover from Ryo Fujii in Los Dos’ own end. Seattle’s Zack Mathers received the turnover, forced by Felix Chenkam. Mathers played ahead to a sprinting Ray Saari, who passed to the feet of Chenkam for Seattle’s opening goal.
Seattle didn’t take their foot off the pedal. In the 12th minute, Ray Saari served up a 50-yard diagonal ball from Seattle’s own territory to find a wide-open Nouhou Tolo, who received the ball at the corner of the 18-yard box, took one dribble, and smashed a sweet left-footed strike past LA Galaxy II goalkeeper Bennett Sneddon and into the back of the net.
Fujii would get a bit of revenge before the close of the first half, forcing a Seattle turnover that led to Jose Villarreal curling in a looping through ball for Ethan Zubak. With Seattle defenders left looking for the offside call, Zubak coolly evaded Seattle’s goalkeeper, rolling home Los Dos’ first score of the match.
The 1-2 halftime score would hold, as Los Dos were able to apply pressure but couldn’t get enough dangerous opportunities against Seattle in the second period. LA came closest to an equalizer in the game’s final seconds, when the team’s last corner from Ryo Fujii found Robert Castellanos making a run towards the near post. Castellanos’ shot bounced across the face of the goal, just inches outside the far post as the ball rolled out of bounds and the final whistle sounded.
SEA – Felix Chenkam (Assisted by Ray Saari) 7’
SEA – Nouhou Tolo (Assisted by Ray Saari) 12’
LA – Ethan Zubak (Assisted by Jose Villarreal) 45’
LA – Andre Zanga 16’ (caution)
SEA – Felix Chenkam 19’ (caution)
SEA – Ray Saari 46’ (caution)
LA – Alex Juarez 51’ (caution)
LA – Bradley Diallo 54’ (caution)
LA – Hugo Arellano 70’ (caution)
LA – Ryo Fujii 72’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Bennett Sneddon; Hugo Arellano, Bradley Diallo (Ian Lonergan 69’), Robert Castellanos, Alex Juarez; Jose Agredo (Tyler Turner 87’); Ryo Fujii, Andre Zanga (Adrian Vera 69’), Ethan Zubak; Jose Villarreal, Adonis Amaya
Substitutions not used: Jean Engola, Eric Payeras, Erick Gallinar, Eric Lopez
LA: GOALS: 1 | SHOTS: 14 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 1 | OFFSIDES: 1 | CORNERS: 7 | SAVES: 1
SEA: GOALS: 2 | SHOTS: 11 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 3 | OFFSIDES: 5 | CORNERS: 5 | SAVES: 0
Head Referee: Michael Radchuck
Assistant Referees: Alexander Luttmann, Osvaldo Delgado-Landeros
Fourth Official: Jose Lopez
· LA Galaxy II (1-3-0, 3 points) fell 2-1 to Seattle Sounders FC 2 (2-2-0, 6 points) on Saturday night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
· LA Galaxy II currently sit 12th in the USL Western Conference standings.
· Ethan Zubak scored his 2nd goal of the season for Los Dos, on an assist from Jose Villarreal, his first assist of the season.
· Zubak scored two goals in 22 appearances for LA Galaxy II in 2016.
· LA Galaxy Academy’s Alex Juarez made his second straight appearance for LA Galaxy II on Saturday night, earning his first career start with Los Dos.
· LA Galaxy Academy graduate Bennett Sneddon made his first start of the season for Los Dos on Saturday night. Sneddon held a 2.13 GAA across five games for LA in 2016.
· LA Galaxy II Head Coach Mike Muñoz made six changes from last week’s lineup against Phoenix Rising FC: Bennett Sneddon, Bradley Diallo, Hugo Arellano, Alex Juarez, Jose Agredo, and Jose Villarreal started in place of Jon Kempin, Jean Engola, Josh Turnley, Tyler Turner, Adrian Vera and Raul Mendiola.
· LA Galaxy II are now 1-1-0 at home in 2017.
· Seven former LA Galaxy Academy players participated in the match: Bennett Sneddon, Hugo Arellano, Ryo Fujii, Jose Villarreal, Ethan Zubak, Adonis Amaya and Adrian Vera.
· Three current LA Galaxy players participated in the match: Jose Villarreal, Hugo Arellano and Bradley Diallo
· Two current LA Galaxy Academy players participated in the match: Alex Juarez and Ian Lonergan.
· LA and Seattle met once in 2016, with the result being a 1-1 tie at Starfire Sports Complex in Seattle on May 22.
· Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
· LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
· LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
· Next, LA Galaxy II return to StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium to take on Orange County SC on Saturday, April 22 at 7:30 p.m.