LA Galaxy II (0-5-3, 3 points) let a two-goal halftime lead slip into a 4-3 loss to Phoenix Rising FC (4-1-3, 15 points) on Friday night at Phoenix Rising FC Soccer Complex in Tempe, Ariz.
After scoring only two goals in their first seven games, Los Dos rattled off three first-half goals to make a statement in the opening 45 of tonight’s contest. Efrain Alvarez started things off with a 25-yard blast in the 19th minute, an absolute rocket that will go down as Alvarez’s first professional goal. Phoenix answered within two minutes on a deflected goal.
But Los Dos were able to respond, when a shot from Ariel Lassiter deflected off the post neatly to Ulysses Llanez for the easy goal. In the 39th, LA Galaxy II took their largest lead of the season when Hugo Arellano headed a Julian Büscher corner into the back of the net at the far post.
Phoenix would roar back in the second half though, and pulled within one when Alessandro Riggi found space to score in between a spotty LA Galaxy II defense. In the 71st minute, Jason Johnson executed a snap header on a Didier Drogba corner to equalize.
Rising FC completed the comeback when Hugo Arellano conceded a penalty via slide tackle in the box in the 77th minute. For the second time against LA this season, Drogba scored the game-winner.
Next, LA Galaxy II return home to take on Saint Louis FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, May 9 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to that match are on sale now, available here.
LA – Efrain Alvarez 19’ (Assisted by Alex Mendez)
PHX – Jason Johnson 21’ (Assisted by Alessandro Riggi)
LA – Ulysses Llanez 26’
LA – Hugo Arellano 40’ (Assisted by Julian Büscher)
PHX – Alessandro Riggi 47’ (Assisted by Collin Fernandez, Solomon Asante
PHX – Jason Johnson 71’ (Assisted by Didier Drogba)
PHX – Didier Drogba 78’ (penalty)
LA – Hugo Arellano 56’
LA Galaxy II: Wade Hamilton; Nate Shultz (Frank Lopez 84’) , John Requejo, Jean Engola, Hugo Arellano, Alex Mendez (Andre Zanga 55’), Ulysses Llanez Jr., Julian Büscher, Efrain Alvarez, Ariel Lassiter; Ethan Zubak (Bradford Jamieson IV 65’)
Substitutions not used:Eric Lopez, Miguel Aguilar, Jonathan Hernandez, Emmanuel Appiah
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 2.
Phoenix Rising FC: Carl Woszczynski; Devante Dubose (James Musa 45’), Victor Vásquez, Joseph Farrell, Mike da Fonte; Luca Ricci, Alessandro Riggi (Billy Forbes 65’), Collin Fernandez (Kody Wakasa 82’), Jason Johnson; Solomon Asanta, Didier Drogba
Substitutions not used: Zac Lubin, Glason Awako, Chris Cortez, Kevaughn Frater
TOTAL SHOTS: 22; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 9; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 4.
Referee: Ismir Pekmic
- LA Galaxy II (0-5-3, 3 points) let a halftime lead slip into a 4-3 loss to Phoenix Rising FC (4-1-3, 15 points) on Friday night at Phoenix Rising FC Soccer Complex in Tempe, Ariz.
- Los Dos conceded a season-high four goals in the match.
- LA Galaxy II are now 0-4-1 away from home in 2018.
- 15-year-old Efrain Alvarez scored his first professional goal for Los Dos in the match.
- 16-year-old Ulysses Llanez scored his second professional goal for Los Dos in the match. He’s now scored in back-to-back games for LA Galaxy II.
- 20-year-old Hugo Arellano also scored his first professional goal for Los Dos in the match.
- Los Dos signed seven new players this offseason: Geoffrey Acheampong, Nate Shultz, Emmanuel Appiah, John Requejo, Frank Lopez, Wade Hamilton and Julian Büscher.
- Julian Büscher leads LA Galaxy II in assists this season (2).
- Ulysses Llanez leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (2).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Justin Dhillon and Adrian Vera co-led the team in goals in 2017 (6).
- Ethan Zubak led LA Galaxy II in assists in 2017 (3).
- Next, LA Galaxy II return home to take on Saint Louis FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, May 9 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to that match are on sale now, available here.