LA Galaxy II claimed their second consecutive victory as Augustine Williams scored the only goal against Republic FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday night.
With each side looking to add to victory last time out, Los Dos got the first look at goal in the sixth minute as Augustine Williams fired a low shot that was saved by Sacramento goalkeeper Adam Grinwis. Republic FC’s Villyan Bijev followed with a volleyed effort of his own that bounced wide of the left post, but in the 42nd minute the visitors produced the best chance of the half as Hayden Sargis’ header forced an outstanding save by Galaxy II goalkeeper Abraham Romero as the ball seemed pegged for the left corner.
Sacramento’s Dariusz Formella also had a good chance just before halftime but saw his low finish on a breakaway clip the outside of the left post, while Drew Skundrich shot had a shot deflected just wide of the left post 12 minutes into the second half. Then with 18 minutes to go, a free kick from the right for the Galaxy II was swung in by Jorge Hernandez, and a mishit clearance by Sacramento defender Tomas Hilliard-Arce served up a simple chance for Williams to put away.
Los Dos’ Isaac Bawa had a shot at doubling the lead for the hosts as he recovered possession after an initial pass had been blocked and cut in from the right to hit a curling shot toward the left corner that Grinwis punched clear. The Galaxy II’s Sebastian Nava then forced another good save from Grinwis less than a minute later as the hosts looked for an insurance goal, but Williams’ goal held up as the winner as Los Dos recorded its second consecutive shutout.
In their next match, LA Galaxy II remain at Dignity Health Sports Park for a game against San Diego Loyal SC on Wednesday, July 29 at 7 p.m. PT.
USLChampionship.com Man of the Match:
Augustine Williams, LA Galaxy II – Williams recorded one goal on three shots, completed two of three dribbles and 20 of 28 passes to lead the attacking line for Los Dos.
LA – Augustine Williams 72’
SAC – Jordan McCrary (caution) 16’
SAC – Jaime Villarreal (caution) 27’
LA – Jesus Vazquez (caution) 36’
SAC – Cameron Iwasa (caution) 62’
LA – Jorge Hernandez (caution) 90’+7
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Isaac Bawa, Jesus Vazquez, Jalen Neal, Mauricio Cuevas; Omar Ontiveros (Alejandro Alvarado HT), Adam Saldana; Adrian Vera (Sebastian Nava 73’), Jorge Hernandez, Ivan Gutierrez (Victor Valdez 59’); Augustine Williams.
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Markus Ferkranus, Adrian Gonzalez, Carson Klein.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Brandon Stevis
- LA Galaxy II earned a 1-0 win over Sacramento Republic FC Saturday evening at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- The win was earned from a second-half goal from forward Augustine Williams.
- LA Galaxy II have now won two consecutive games while recording shutouts.
- The match marked the first home game of the 2020 season for LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy are now 3-1-0 during the 2020 season (1-0-0 at home and 2-1-0 on the road).
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 10-6-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- The United Soccer League announced earlier this month the revised schedule for the 2020 USL Championship season.
- The league’s clubs are set to play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II will compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights FC and Orange County SC.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II remain at Dignity Health Sports Park for a game against San Diego Loyal SC on Wednesday, July 29 at 7 p.m. PT.
For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.