Augustine Williams scored twice as the LA Galaxy II took a 3-2 victory against the Portland Timbers 2 on Wednesday night at Providence Park.
Los Dos struck in the 13th minute on the first real chance of the game. Adrian Vera was found in space on the right and his cross found Williams for a volleyed finish at the back post into the right corner of the net.
Portland had chances to level before the halftime break with Marcus Epps delivering a shot in the 22nd minute that was comfortably handled by Los Dos goalkeeper Abraham Romero. Epps also went close to seven minutes before halftime with a shot that made Romero punch clear, while Gerardo Duran turned an effort on goal after an incisive run and pass in from the right side by Epps four minutes later.
T2 continued to press in the second half and Epps once again produced a big save from Romero on the hour-mark as he cut in from the left side of the penalty area and sent a curling finish to the far post that was parried away. The equalizer arrived with 21 minutes to go, however, as Max Ornstil rose high to head home a corner kick by Carlos Anguiano from the right to level the score.
Los Dos regained the lead with 12 minutes to go, though, as Ivan Gutierrez was released down the left side and delivered a good near-post cross that was turned in on a first-time finish by Jonathan Perez. The visitors then added a third in second-half stoppage time as Williams notched his second of the night after a low cross by Omar Ontiveros was tucked home by the former T2 forward into the bottom-right corner of the net.
Portland gave itself late hope with a goal of its own in stoppage time as Aaron Molloy fired home a turning shot from the right side of the penalty area off a pass by Epps, but time ultimately ran out on the hosts as they remained winless on the season.
In their next match, LA Galaxy II face Las Vegas Lights FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday, Aug. 30 at 2 p.m. PT.
LA - Augustine Williams 13'
POR - Max Ornstil 69'
LA - Jonathan Perez 78'
LA - Augustine Williams 90' + 5
POR - Aaron Molloy 90' + 9
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Jalen Neal, Jesus Vazquez, Mauricio Cuevas, Sebastian Hernandez; Alejandro Alvarado, Adama Saldana, Jorge Hernandez; Sebastian Nava, Augustine Williams, Adrian Vera.
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Victor Valdez, Carson Klein, Marcus Ferkranus.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
- LA Galaxy II earned a 3-2 win over Portland Timbers 2 Wednesday night at Providence Park.
- LA Galaxy are now 4-3-0 during the 2020 season (1-2-0 at home and 3-1-0 on the road) with twelve points.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 11-8-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- The United Soccer League announced last month the revised schedule for the 2020 USL Championship season.
- The league's clubs are set to play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II will compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights Fc and Orange County SC.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II face Las Vegas Lights FC at home on Saturday, Aug. 30 at 2 p.m. PT.
For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2