LA Galaxy II fell to San Diego Loyal SC 3-0 Wednesday night at Dignity Health Sports Park. Los Dos remain in second place in USL Championship Group B standings with 18 points through 11 games on the year.
The visitors took the lead in the first minute when Miguel Berry notched his first goal since arriving on loan from MLS side Columbus Crew SC. A ball came to Alejandro Guido at the top of the penalty area, who slid a pass through the back line that found Berry, and his finish picked out the bottom-right corner of the net.
Berry placed a role again as the visitors doubled their lead in the 20th minute, continuing the buildup to find Jack Metcalf moving into space on the right side. The English fullback's low cross to the back post was met by SD Loyal debutant Rubio Rubin, who tucked home his first goal for Loyal SC. In the 38th minute, San Diego had its third as Berry notched his second goal of the night.
Los Dos threatened 11 minutes into the second half when a driving run by Ivan Gutierrez down the left resulted in a low cross that Alejandro Alvarado Jr. fired over the crossbar with his first-time finish. Alvarado was later sent off aver receiving his second yellow card of the contest with 25 minutes to go and SD Loyal was able to hold on to the victory.
LA Galaxy II are in action next when they host Las Vegas Lights FC on Tuesday, Sept. 15 at Dignity Health Sports Park.
SD - Miguel Berry 1'
SD - Rubio Rubin 20'
SD - Miguel Berry 38'
LA - Alejandro Alvarado (caution) 48'
LA - Alejandro Alvarado (second caution; ejection) 65'
SD - Jack Metcalf
LA - Adrian Vera (caution) 69'
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Omar Ontiveros, Marcus Ferkranus, Jalen Neal, Mauricio Cuevas (Adrian Gonzalez 788' ); Alejandro Alvarado, Adam Saldana, Jorge Hernandez (Ivan Gutierrez HT); Adrian Vera (Sebastian Hernandez 78'), Augustin Williams (Carson Klein 78'), Sebastian Nava (Victor Valdez 78')
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Walter Portales.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Michael Radchuck
- LA Galaxy II fell to San Diego Loyal SC 3-0 at Dignity Health Sports Park Wednesday evening.
- LA Galaxy II remain in second place of Group B in the USL Championship standings.
- With the result, LA Galaxy II are now 6-5-0 with 18 points during the 2020 season (2-3-0 at home and 4-3-0 on the road).
- LA galaxy II have won three of their previous five contests.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 13-10-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II face Las Vegas Lights FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. PT.
- In the revised USL schedule, the league's clubs will play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights FC and Orange County SC.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.