LOS ANGELES (Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023) – LA Galaxy forward Billy Sharp was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 33 of the 2023 MLS season.
Sharp, 37, recorded the 27th hat-trick in Galaxy history in LA’s 4-3 come-from-behind win over Minnesota United FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sept. 20. The Sheffield, England, native has recorded six goals in six appearances (2 starts) across 245 minutes played for the Galaxy during the 2023 campaign. In two matches played at Dignity Health Sports Park this season, Sharp has recorded five goals. Sharp scored his hat-trick in his second career start with the Galaxy, becoming just the fourth player in league history to score three goals in one of their first two starts, along with Josef Martínez, Didier Drogba and Musa Shannon. Additionally, Sharp has recorded a goal in three consecutive matches played dating back to Sept. 10.
The Englishman becomes the second LA Galaxy player to be named MLS Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire in 2023, joining Riqui Puig (Matchday 23). Sharp is the first English player to earn Player of the Matchday honors since Jonathan Bond also did so for the Galaxy on Matchday 7 of 2021.
The MLS Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire is selected each matchday of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.