LOS ANGELES (Monday, Jan. 13, 2020) – The LA Galaxy Foundation concluded the 2019 calendar year having raised nearly $1,000,000 to benefit Los Angeles through numerous events, programming and initiatives.
In April, the LA Galaxy launched the LA Galaxy Champion Project, a community-driven program that saw the club partner with local elementary schools to provide soccer programming and opportunities to grow the game of soccer while promoting health, wellness and leadership development with local youth. Through the LA Galaxy Champion project, 11 schools and over 5,000 youth have received dedicated programming and support. For more information on the LA Galaxy Champions Project, click here.
Donate to the LA Galaxy Foundation
Additionally, the LA Galaxy continued the Protect the Pitch initiative to provide local youth with the education and resources to live healthier, more sustainable lives. The LA Galaxy continue to focus on inclusion, education, and volunteerism.
In all, the LA Galaxy accomplished the following last year:
- 2 garden installation projects at Champion Project schools
- 18 individuals were honored as Heroes of the Game for their dedication to our community
- 52 pediatric cancer patients were treated to LA Galaxy games by goalkeeper Matt Lampson
- 350 students hosted at Dignity Health Sports Park for Protect the Pitch field trips
- 1,080 children attended LA Galaxy home games at Dignity Health Sports Park free of charge
- 1,926 hours spent volunteering by LA Galaxy players, staff, partners and fans
- $10,000 raised from parley ocean plastic kits that promote decreasing the use of single-use plastics and change attitudes towards plastic pollution on our beaches
- 104,814 hours of community soccer clinics hosted for Los Angeles youth
Through the LA Galaxy Champions Project:
- 11 Carson elementary schools serviced
- 5,021 students participated in LA Galaxy soccer programming
- 30 students were recognized at an LA Galaxy match
- 230 Shasta soccer balls and 24 soccer nets donated
- 11 elementary schools received Playworks Southern California programming
- 2 Friday Night Soccer clinics held at Dignity Health Sports Park (DHSP)
2019 LA Galaxy Community Highlights
LA Galaxy Golf Tournament Presented by San Manuel Casino
Last year’s tournament raised over $215,000 to help grow the beautiful game of soccer and inspire the next generation of leaders to be true Champions for Los Angeles, on and off the pitch through the LA Galaxy Champion Project. Save the Date for the 2020 LA Galaxy Golf Tournament presented by San Manuel Casino on Monday, June 8 at Rolling Hills Country Club. Register to join us for next year’s golf tournament at www.lagalaxy.com/golf.
Refurbished soccer field
To kick off the 2019 season, the LA Galaxy teamed up with David Beckham to refurbishing a soccer field at The Salvation Army L.A. Red Shield Community Center to provide a safe place to play for over 2,000 children in downtown Los Angeles.
Read Across America Celebration at Dignity Health Sports Park
Over 250 second and third grade students celebrated Dr. Seuss’ Birthday with LA Galaxy and Los Angeles Chargers players. Read Across America Day encourages and inspires children to celebrate the joys of reading.
Beach Clean Up
Over 250 volunteers participated in a clean-up at Venice Beach with Surfrider Foundation and Herbalife24 Triathlon. The volunteers removed over 150 pounds of trash, 33 pounds of recyclables and 4,000 cigarette butts.
LA Galaxy High School Girls’ Summit Presented by Southern New Hampshire University
100 high school female athletes from local school districts and nonprofit community partners participated in a day of networking and college prep activities with former collegiate athletes and female sports and entertainment executives.
LA Galaxy Special Olympics Southern California Unified Team
Our LA Galaxy Unified soccer team had an inspiring 2019 season, as the 20 athletes with and without intellectual abilities participated together in weekly trainings and several team-building activities.
Community Clinic Series
The LA Galaxy hosted nine no-cost community soccer clinics at LA Galaxy mini-pitches throughout the Los Angeles area. Each clinic included 90-minutes of soccer activities, an inspiring workshop from Positive Coaching Alliance and fun-filled appearances from the LA Galaxy Star Squad and Cozmo, the LA Galaxy's out-of-this-world mascot.
Port of Los Angeles Fleet Week
LA Galaxy hosted 50 military men and women visiting for the annual LA Fleet Week celebration to scrimmage with LA Galaxy coaches, tour the stadium and watch LA Galaxy players train.
Shoes That Fit
LA Galaxy Girls' Academy players distributed 100 pairs of new athletic shoes to students at LA Galaxy Champion Project school, Catskill Avenue Elementary
For a full list of the LA Galaxy’s involvement in the Los Angeles community, visit www.lagalaxy.com/community/outreach or click here.