CARSON, Calif. (Thursday, March 17, 2016) – The LA Galaxy announced today the launch of Protect The Pitch, a club-wide environmental sustainability initiative. Protect the Pitch will focus on reducing the environmental impact of LA Galaxy games and practices at StubHub Center, supporting environmental projects in our community, and inspiring fans to help create healthier, more sustainable communities.
As part of Protect the Pitch, the Galaxy will continue to implement various efforts designed to engage the community, save water, conserve energy, and reduce waste while involving and encouraging the Galaxy fan base to support these efforts.
Additionally, StubHub Center and the LA Galaxy will participate in the world Earth Hour Celebration this Saturday, March 19, during the Galaxy’s match against San Jose Earthquakes by lowering the lighting level or turning off the lights in all the suites and Stadium Club. Earth Hour is officially from 8:30-9:30 p.m. PT. All guests in StubHub Center suites will be encouraged to shut off lights for the hour.
Click here to buy tickets
The LA Galaxy will focus on community involvement, energy efficiency, water conservation, waste and recycling, and transportation.
LA Galaxy Protect the Pitch Initiatives
- StubHub Center, home of the LA Galaxy, hosts the Carson Farmer’s Market every Thursday from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., bringing local and organic produce to our community
- LA Galaxy employees volunteer to help keep our community healthy through numerous initiatives, including planting trees and cleaning up beaches
- The LA Galaxy partner with local nonprofits to organize annual events for Earth Hour, Earth Day, and America Recycles Day
- Upcoming volunteer days
- Motion sensors save energy by ensuring our lights stay off when no one is using them
- The LA Galaxy irrigate fields at StubHub Center with roughly 50% recycled water, saving about 35 Olympic swimming pools of drinking water each year
- StubHub Center uses waterless urinals, low-flow toilets, and faucet aerators to reduce water use in our restrooms
- LA Galaxy train employees to help minimize water use when cleaning up the stadium
Waste and Recycling
- LA Galaxy capture bottles, cans, cups, cardboard, paper, and more through our recycling program
- Our composting program sends grass clippings from our fields to a local nursery and brings them back on-site as mulch
- By purchasing recycled-content paper products, we’re helping make sure the materials we recycle go to good us
- StubHub Center features on-site bike racks to make it easier for Galaxy fans to bike to the game
LA Galaxy FanProtect the Pitch Participation
At Galaxy games:
- Fans can recycle bottles, cans and cups in the designated recycling bins, both inside StubHub Center and in tailgating areas
- Team up with friends and family to carpool to Galaxy games
- Galaxy fans can turn off the lights and adjust the heating or cooling when not home to save energy
- When replacing appliances, look for ENERGY STAR® models to conserve energy
- Experiment with watering your lawn less frequently. Most home water use happens in your yard.
- When replacing bathroom or kitchen fixtures, look for WaterSense® products to save water
Waste and Recycling
- Galaxy fans can recycle at home and are encouraged to set up a compost bin for food waste.
- Buy perishable food in smaller quantities to reduce food waste (and save money!)
- Fans are encouraged to carpool, use public transportation, or cycle to try to reduce your carbon footprint.
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2016 MLS season are available for purchase now. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/tickets/seasontickets or call 877-3GALAXY (342-5299) to secure their 2016 LA Galaxy Season Ticket package.
Becoming a 2016 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Member gives fans the opportunity to receive a number of benefits, including discounted pricing, LA Galaxy Team Store discounts, access to the 2016 Season Ticket Member Event, and early stadium access, among other exclusive benefits. For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/seasontickets or call an LA Galaxy representative at 877-3GALAXY (342-5299).