LA Galaxy II will kick off the 2017 USL campaign in their Home Opener, Presented by Bare Republic, against Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 at 2:00 p.m. PT on Saturday, March 25 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
New LA Galaxy II Head Coach Mike Muñoz will man the sidelines for the first time since being named Los Dos’ second coach in club history on Jan. 12. For Muñoz, former LA Galaxy Academy Director, the hiring has served as a reunion with several of his former Academy pupils.
Under former Head Coach Curt Onalfo in 2016, the team got off to a hot start, setting up shop at the top of the Western Conference standings with Saturday’s opponent, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2. At the close of the season, LA Galaxy II (12-7-11, 47 points) and Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (12-9-9, 45 points) finished with similar records, qualified, respectively, as the No. 4 and No. 5 seeds in the USL Playoffs and were both eliminated by Swope Park Rangers in 3-0 defeats.
Los Dos established themselves has a high-scoring side last season, scoring more goals than any other team in the Western Conference across 30 games. They sat middle-of-the-pack in goals allowed, but underwent a large makeover in their backline this offseason, adding three new defenders to the roster. Only Josh Turnley returns from the team’s 2016 campaign.
Click here for Los Dos season opener tickets
Since the conclusion of last season, six players have been added to Los Dos’ roster. Two of those players have former MLS experience: defender Tyler Turner (Orlando City SC) and midfielder Miguel Aguilar (D.C. United). How their experience can benefit the younger members of Los Dos is worth keeping an extra eye on throughout the season, in addition to Saturday’s Home Opener.
LA Galaxy II has overachieved on and off the field since the club’s inception in 2014. Eight former Los Dos players have signed MLS contracts with LA Galaxy, while the team has qualified for the USL playoffs in each season since 2014, adding a Western Conference Championship in 2015. Are more MLS contracts on the way? More championships? Saturday will serve as the first clue.
· LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
· For the third straight season, they qualified for the USL Playoffs. As the No. 5 seed, they fell 3-0 to Swope Park Rangers in Kansas City, Mo. in the first round.
· In 2016, they led the USL Western Conference in goals scored (59).
· Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
· Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-9-9 (45 points). VWFC2 defeated Colorado Springs Switchbacks and OKC Energy FC before also falling 3-0 to Swope Park Rangers in the Western Conference Final.