LA Galaxy II play a second straight match on the road this weekend when they travel to Scottsdale, Ariz. to face Phoenix Rising FC at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, April 7 at Scottsdale Stadium.
Los Dos return to the limelight after suffering a 3-0 away defeat to San Antonio FC last weekend. The loss marked the first of the season for LA Galaxy II Head Coach Mike Muñoz’s young side, coming a week after the team’s 2-0 shutout win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 on opening weekend in Los Angeles.
The team loses Jaime Villarreal after the midfielder was ejected from the team’s last match, serving the first of a three-game suspension this weekend. They’ll also be without defender Hugo Arellano as the youngster trains with the U.S. U-20s in London ahead of the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
They do, however, regain newly signed defender Robert Castellanos from an outstanding suspension. How well Castellanos is able to hit the ground running will be key to the Galaxy’s success on Sunday, as they try to bounce back from the team’s forgettable outing against San Antonio.
As for the home team, Los Dos face a struggling Phoenix Rising FC side on Saturday. Phoenix has yet to score a goal on the season and will be looking for their first win of 2017 when LA Galaxy II come to town this weekend. Formerly Arizona United SC, the team went 9-14-7 (34 points) in 2016, finishing 13th in the Western Conference.
Galaxy II won each of their three meetings against Arizona United SC last season. The most recent three points came via a 2-1 win at Arizona United SC on Aug. 31, 2016.
* LA Galaxy II (1-1-0, 3 points) currently sit 7th in the USL Western Conference.
* LA Galaxy II won all three of their 2016 matches against Phoenix Rising FC (formerly Arizona United SC).
* Los Dos defeated Arizona United SC 2-1 in the two sides’ most recent meeting on Aug. 31, 2016.
* LA Galaxy II lost their first road match of the season 3-0 to San Antonio FC on Saturday, April 1 at Toyota Field in San Antonio.
* Los Dos conceded three goals in the match after opening the season with a shutout against Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 on Saturday, March 25.
* Eight former LA Galaxy Academy players participated in the match: Hugo Arellano, Adrian Vera, Ryo Fujii, Jaime Villarreal, Raul Mendiola, Justin Dhillon, Ethan Zubak and Adonis Amaya.
* Five current LA Galaxy players started the match: Jon Kempin, Bradley Diallo, Hugo Arellano, Raul Mendiola and Jaime Villarreal. Mendiola was subbed off in the 60th minute, while Villarreal was red-carded in the 86th. All others played 90 minutes.
* Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
* LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
* Next, LA Galaxy II back at home when they take on Seattle Sounders FC 2 at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 15 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
LA Galaxy II Season Ticket Memberships are on sale now. Los Dos Season Ticket Memberships start at $6 per game, half the price of a $12 ticket at the gate. For more info on the benefits of a Los Dos Season Ticket Membership, click here.