LOS ANGELES (Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2021) – Playing the second of three games in the span of seven days, LA Galaxy II earned their third consecutive win, moving into the playoff positions in the USL Championship’s Pacific Division with a 3-0 shutout win over 10-man Phoenix Rising FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday night. Preston Judd and Jorge Hernández both tallied goals, while goalkeeper Justin vom Steeg posted his third consecutive shutout in the win for LA.
LA Galaxy II Run Of Form
The win over Phoenix marked Los Dos’ third consecutive league win, dating back to a 1-0 road win over Oakland Roots SC on Sept. 18. The victory moved LA Galaxy II (9-11-5, 32 points) into fourth place in the Pacific Division, five points behind third-place Orange County SC (10-8-7, 37 points) and two points ahead of fifth-place Oakland Roots SC (8-11-6, 30 points). The top four teams from each division in the regular season will advance into a regionalized single-elimination bracket for the playoffs. In its last seven matches played dating back to Aug. 27, LA holds a 4-2-1 record. During LA’s three-match winning streak, Galaxy II have outscored their opponents 6-0.
LA – Edward Delgado (Own goal), 77th minute: Galaxy II took the lead in the 77th as Danilo Acosta delivered a cross from the left that deflected off a defender at the near post and then went through the hands of Phoenix goalkeeper Edward Delgado and into the right corner of the net.
LA – Preston Judd (Jonathan Perez), 90th minute: Los Dos added a second goal with two minutes remaining in regulation as Judd drove home a low finish off a cross from Perez at the right byline inside the penalty area.
LA - Jorge Hernández, 90+1st minute: Hernández notched his 10th goal of the season in stoppage time as he cut centrally from the right side of the penalty area and shot into the left corner of the net.
- Following the match, LA Galaxy II improved to 9-11-5 in 25 USL Championship regular-season matches played in 2021.
- The win moved Los Dos into fourth place in the Pacific Division.
- LA Galaxy II have won three consecutive matches, dating back to a 1-0 win over Oakland Roots SC on Sept. 18.
- During LA’s three-match winning streak, Galaxy II have outscored their opponents 6-0.
- The victory marked LA’s first win over Phoenix dating back to Aug. 31, 2016.
- In their last seven matches played dating back to Aug. 27, Los Dos hold a 4-2-1 record.
- Preston Judd notched his team-leading 12th goal of the 2021 campaign.
- Jorge Hernández scored his 10th goal of the season in the win over Phoenix.
- Hernández finished the match with a team-high three chances created.
- Justin vom Steeg notched four saves and his sixth shutout of the season in the win over the Phoenix.
- Notably, Vom Steeg has posted a shutout in three consecutive appearances dating back to the 1-0 win over Oakland on Sept. 18
- Danilo Acosta finished the match with a team-high four tackles.
Next up, LA Galaxy II play host to San Diego Loyal SC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday, Oct. 2. The Oct. 2 match kicks off at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific) and features a webstream on ESPN+.
LA Galaxy II (9-11-5, 32pts) vs. Phoenix Rising FC (17-4-5, 56pts)*
Sept. 29, 2021 – Dignity Health Sports Park (Los Angeles)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
LA Galaxy II 0 3 3
Phoenix Rising FC 0 0 0
LA: Delgado (Own goal), 77
LA: Judd (Perez), 88
LA: Hernández, 90+1
PHX: Seijas (caution), 27
PHX: Schmitt (ejection), 45+1
PHX: Madrid (caution), 56
LA: Judd (caution), 85
LA: Cabral (caution), 90+1
LA: GK GK Justin vom Steeg; D Owen Lambe, D Jalen Neal, D Marcus Ferkranus, D Danilo Acosta; M Daniel Aguirre, M Taylor Davila (Carlos Harvey, 72), M Cameron Dunbar (Preston Judd, 65), M Jorge Hernández, M Jonathan Perez; F Rémi Cabral (Adrian Gonzalez, 78)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Eric López; M Gerson Chávez, M Ascel Essengue, F Juan Calderon
TOTAL SHOTS: 8 (Cameron Dunbar, Jonathan Perez, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Jorge Hernández, 2); FOULS: 13 (Danilo Acosta, Rémi Cabral, 3); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 4
PHX: GK Edward Delgado; D Joey Calistri, D James Musa, D Tate Schmitt, D Manuel Madrid; M David Loera, M Aodhan Quinn, M Luis Seijas (Ryan Flood, 64), M Santi Moar (Arturo Rodriguez, 78), M Prince Saydee (Gutiérrez, 78); F Jon Bakero © (Darren Mattocks, 64)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Andre Rawls; D Joseph Farrell; M Jonathan Levin
TOTAL SHOTS: 18 (Jon Bakero, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Four players tied, 1); FOULS: 12 (David Loera, 4); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 14; SAVES: 3
Referee: Benjamin Meyer
Assistant Referees: Fernando Fierro, Jose Vega
Fourth Official: Karen Callado
Weather: Partly cloudy, 65 degrees