LOS ANGELES (Saturday, June 12, 2021) – LA Galaxy II (3-3-2, 11 points) fell to San Diego Loyal SC on the road at Torero Stadium on Saturday night as a second-half goal from Galaxy II midfielder Jorge Hernandez was not enough to earn a point on the evening.
Hernandez, Los Dos’ leading scorer, almost grabbed the lead for the visitors in the fifth minute as he found space to shoot from 25 yards and rattled the right post. The visitors went close again 11 minutes later as Daniel Aguirre had a shot from almost 30 yards tipped just over the crossbar by San Diego goalkeeper Trey Muse, while a few minutes later Cameron Dunbar created space for a shot just inside the right edge of the penalty area that Muse turned away at the near post.
Jack Blake and Berry both had chances for the hosts around the half-hour mark that both ended up going wide of the left post, but the visitors threatened again 10 minutes before halftime as Danilo Acosta cut back a low cross from the left to the near corner of the six-yard area that Jonathan Perez redirected on goal, only for Muse to make a reflex save.
Los Dos took the lead in the 61st minute as Hernandez picked up possession from Dunbar on the right and, after cutting into the penalty area, delivered a low shot to the near-post that snuck just inside the upright.
With 15 minutes to go, however, Guido took possession 40 yards from goal, got past a defender and after moving into space, laced a low shot from 25 yards just inside the left post to bring the hosts level.
Los Dos almost regained the lead five minutes later as a low cross from the right by Axel Picazo found Josh Drack cutting across the penalty area for a first-time shot to the right corner that Muse turned wide. With six minutes to go, however, Guido played provider to Miguel Berry as SD Loyal went ahead, earning SD Loyal all three points.
LA Galaxy II are in action next when they face Las Vegas Lights FC on June 16 at Dignity Health Sports Park.
LA – Jorge Hernandez (Assisted by Cameron Dunbar) 61’
SD – Alejandro Guido (Assisted by Elijah Martin) 75’
SD – Miguel Berry (Assisted by Alejandro Guido) 84’
LA Galaxy II: Jonathan Klinsmann; Owen Lambe, Marcus Ferkranus (Adrian Gonzalez, 89’), Jesus Vazquez, Danilo Acosta; Taylor Davila, Daniel Aguirre, Cameron Dunbar (Joshua Drack 69’), Jorge Hernandez, Jonathan Perez (Axel Picazo 62’); Preston Judd (Remi Cabral 69’).
Bench: Eric Lopez, Isaac Bawa, Sebastian Nava.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Ricardo Fierro
STATS: TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 17; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2.
- LA Galaxy II fell to San Diego Loyal SC on the road at Torero Stadium on Saturday night.
- This year, Los Dos are now 3-3-2 with 11 points, with 16 goals scored and 11 conceded for a +5 goal differential.
- Midfielder Jorge Hernandez scored his fifth goal of the season.
- Hernandez leads all LA Galaxy II players in scoring this year.
- LA Galaxy II featured five first-team players on Saturday evening: Jonathan Klinsmann, Danilo Acosta, Cameron Dunbar, Markus Ferkranus, Jonathan Perez.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds a 18-15-7 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II and has led the team to two-consecutive playoff appearances.
- In 2020, Los Dos finished the regular season 8-6-2 with 26 points (4-3-1 at home and 4-3-1 on the road), earning them second place in Group B standings and clinching a berth in the USL Championship Playoffs for the second-straight season.
- LA Galaxy II compete in the USL Championship Western Conference Pacific Division for the 2021 campaign alongside the following clubs: Las Vegas Lights FC, Oakland Roots SC, Orange County SC, Phoenix Rising FC, Sacramento Republic FC, San Diego Loyal SC and Tacoma Defiance.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com.