LA Galaxy II (2-0-4, 10 pts.) drew against Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (2-0-2, 8 pts.) 2-2 at StubHub Center on Friday night allowing both teams to remain unbeaten in the USL 2016 Regular Season.
LA Galaxy II struck first when Jose Villarreal drove a powerful free kick into the far post netting at the 45th minute. Jack McBean and Jaime Villarreal stood side-by-side as part of Vancouver’s wall, but ducked out of the way right as Jose Villarreal struck. Villarreal’s shot took a direct line between the two and easily passed the reach of Vancouver’s goalkeeper.
Los Dos finished the half up 1-0; it’s the second straight game they’ve led by that score at halftime.
Galaxy II put the pressure on the Whitecaps early in the second half, and were rewarded for their efforts when Jaime Villarreal earned a penalty kick for the home side just inside the area. Captain Jack McBean then stepped up to the spot, stutter-stepped the keeper, and slotted home his fifth goal of the season. Last season, McBean ended the season with six goals.
Vancouver was able to pull one back in the 70th minute when a diagonal ball on the counter attack from Whitecaps midfielder Erik Hurtado found Abdul Fatawu Safiu in the box. Safiu made a move, found the open angle to goal, and slotted the ball past Diop.
The away side’s attack didn’t let up though, and they leveled the match in 76th when Safiu got on the delivering end this time, finding fellow teammate Kyle Greig on a through ball up the middle who then finished with a chip over Diop.
The match then got testy and escalated quickly after Vancouver’s William Seymore committed a hard foul on LA’s Nathan Smith. LA’s Bryam Rebellon ran over in defense over his teammate, and his physical response earned him a straight red. Two Vancouver players were given yellows in the ensuing scuffle.
The three-game homestand for Los Dos ended tonight. LA Galaxy II will hit the road for the second time this season when they take on Rio Grande Valley FC (1-1-1, 4 pts.) at RGV FC Toros Stadium on Saturday, April 30 at 5:30 p.m. PT. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.
LA – Jose Villarreal 45’, Jack McBean 56’
WFC2 – Abdul Fatawu Safiu (William Seymore) 58’, Kyle Greig (Safiu) 76’
LA Galaxy II Starting XI: Clement Diop; Oscar Sorto (Nathan Smith 45’), Lee Nishanian, Jeffrey Payeras, Josh Turnley; Alejandro Covarrubias, Bryam Rebellon, Jaime Villarreal, Jack McBean, Jose Villarreal (Raul Mendiola 61’), Adonis Amaya (Ariel Lassiter 61’)
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Ethan Zubak, John Neeskens, Ryo Fujii,
Referee: Issam Ashkar
Referee’s Assistants: Eduardo Jeff, Melissa Gonzalez
4th Official: Michael Radchuk
- Lee Nishanian, USL Player of the Week this week, started his sixth game of the season for Los Dos. He is the only LA Galaxy II player to have started each game of the 2016 season.
- Jose Villarreal put home his second goal of the season on his rocket of a free kick.
- Jack McBean’s converted penalty kick was his fifth goal of the 2016 season. Last season, McBean’s scored six goals in total.
- LA Galaxy members Oscar Sorto, Jose Villarreal, Clement Diop, Ariel Lassiter and Raul Mendiola all participated in the match. Sorto tallied 45 minutes, Villarreal went for 61, and Mendiola and Lassiter went 29.
- Tonight’s draw marks Galaxy II’s third straight at home. In each, the away team earned comeback victories.
- The three-game homestand for Los Dos ended tonight. They’ll hit the road for the second time this season when they take on Rio Grande Valley FC (1-1-1, 4 pts.) at RGV FC Toros Stadium on Saturday, April 30 at 5:30 p.m. PT. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.