LA Galaxy II (3-0-4, 13 pts.) collected its first road win of the season and first win in five games against Rio Grande Valley FC (2-2-1, 7 pts.) on Saturday night at RGV FC Stadium in Edinburg, Texas.
After a scoreless first half, LA Galaxy II were quick to make a statement in the second. Los Dos were first on the board for the fourth straight game when Jack McBean found the end of a cross and broke the deadlock with his headed finish in the 47th minute. It was McBean's sixth goal of the season and second consecutive game with a goal.
The visitors didn’t let up there. Just six minutes later, Ariel Lassiter and Raul Mendiola, LA Galaxy II’s leading goal and assist leaders in 2015, linked up in the 53rd minute when Mendiola found Lassiter as he put home his third goal of the season. It was his first goal since his brace in the team’s 2016 season debut on March 26.
LA Galaxy II Head coach Curt Onalfo went on to make five substitutions to help put away the game for Los Dos and secure the three points.
The win snaps a four-game draw streak for Galaxy II and with this win, Galaxy II reclaim the top position in the USL Western Conference.
The schedule gets busy again for Los Dos as they travel back to LA for a midweek match against Colorado Springs Switchbacks at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, May 4 in the team’s first game back at the StubHub Center Track & Field as offseason renovations to the stadium were recently completed. After that, they’ll face California rival Sacramento Republic on Saturday, May 7 at 7:30 p.m. PT, also at the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. At both games, fans will be able to enjoy $2 beer and $2 tacos. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.
LA – Jack McBean 47’, Ariel Lassiter (Assisted by Raul Mendiola) 53’
LA Galaxy II Starting XI: Clement Diop; Oscar Sorto (Jeffrey Payeras 79’), Lee Nishanian, Dave Romney, Josh Turnley; Denzel Slager (Ryo Fujii 72’), Jaime Villarreal, Alejandro Covarrubias (Adonis Amaya 85’), Raul Mendiola (Ethan Zubak 64’), Jack McBean, Ariel Lassiter (John Neeskens 90’)
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Adrian Vera
Referee: Rosendo Mendoza
Referee’s Assistants: Jesus Moya, Jeremy Weed
4th Official: Michael Arrington
- Lee Nishanian went the distance for LA Galaxy II yet again, starting his seventh straight game for the side in 2016. He has played every minute of every game for Los Dos in 2016.
- Jack McBean scored his sixth goal of the season in tonight's contest. In just seven games, he has equaled his 2015 goal total (6). It's his second consecutive game with a goal.
- Ariel Lassiter scored his third goal of the season for Los Dos. The conversion marked his first goal for Galaxy II since his brace against Arizona United SC in the team’s 2016 season debut on March 26. He is now second in scoring for Galaxy II.
- Raul Mendiola tallied his first assist of 2016 in his second appearance for Los Dos this season. He was LA Galaxy’s assist leader in 2015; he turned in eight assists for the club last season.
- LA Galaxy’s Clement Diop made his fifth start for Galaxy II in 2016. In it, he recorded his third shutout of the season.
- LA Galaxy members Oscar Sorto, Clement Diop, Ariel Lassiter and Raul Mendiola all participated in the match. Sorto tallied 79 minutes, Mendiola played 64, Lassiter went 90 and Diop stood between the sticks for the entire game.
- Galaxy II will now play two games in the next seven days. They face Colorado Springs Switchbacks on Wednesday, May 4 back in LA followed by a match on Saturday, May 7 against California rival Sacramento Republic FC also at home. Both games kick off at 7:30 p.m. PT and will be played at the newly renovated StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.