LA Galaxy II (4-0-4, 16 pts.) defeated Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (3-2-0, 9 pts.) 3-2 behind a hat trick from captain forward Jack McBean. McBean’s three goals on the night gives him nine on the season, the most in the USL.
LA Galaxy II were first to score for the fifth consecutive game after a converted penalty kick in the 32nd minute. McBean earned the penalty kick after Switchbacks goalkeeper Devala Gorrick fouled McBean on a cross put into the box. With this goal, LA went into the halftime with a 1-0 lead.
Los Dos came out strong in the second half – just as they did against Rio Grande Valley FC – and struck quickly in the 47th when Ariel Lassiter took the ball down the sideline and put a cross inside the six-yard box for McBean, who easily finished off the play for his second goal of the night and a 2-0 LA lead.
LA were less numerous in their attack with the lead, but in the 71st, Raul Mendiola found space to lead a break down the middle before making the easy pass to McBean in the box for the easy finish. It was his third goal of the night, his first hat trick for LA Galaxy II.
Colorado Springs didn’t go without a fight though, and they got on the board in the 77th minute when Saeed Robinson slid in behind the Galaxy defense to give the Switchbacks their first goal of the evening.
They pulled one more back just seconds into extra-time when Colorado Springs’ Mike Seth found space in the box and put the ball near post past Kennedy to put his side within one. But Galaxy II were able to fend off the few attacks that came their way in the remainder of extra-time, earning their second consecutive win.
Tonight was the second of three games in eight days for Galaxy II after a 2-0 win at Rio Grande Valley FC on April 30. They’ll next have Sacramento Republic FC for the first of four 2016 matchups with the Northern California rival. The two sides will kick off at 7:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, May 7 at StubHub Center Track & Field Center. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.
LA – Jack McBean 32’, Jack McBean 47’ (Assisted by Ariel Lassiter), Jack McBean 71’ (Assisted by Raul Mendiola)
COS – Saeed Robinson 77’ (Assisted by Mike Seth), Mike Seth 90+
LA Galaxy II Starting XI: Dan Kennedy; Dave Romney, Josh Turnley, Leonardo, Nathan Smith; Alejandro Covarrubias, Jaime Villarreal (Bryam Rebellon 90+), Jose Villarreal (Denzel Slager 63’); Raul Mendiola (Ethan Zubak 75’), Bradford Jamieson IV (Ariel Lassiter 42’), Jack McBean
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Lee Nishanian, Oscar Sorto
Referee: Michael Radchuk
Referee’s Assistants: Adrian Gonzalez, Jose Lopez
4th Official: Bernhard Hosu
- Jack McBean got the scoring started for LA Galaxy II with a successful penalty kick in the 32nd minute. It’s the fifth straight game Galaxy have been first on the board.
- McBean added another goal on an assist from Ariel Lassiter in 47th minute. It was Lassiter’s first assist on the season.
- McBean would find the net again, and finished off a Raul Mendiola-led break in 71st minute. The hat trick moved McBean to first in goals scored in the USL. He now leads the league with nine goals on the season.
- LA Galaxy II leads the league in scoring. They have 17 goals in 8 games.
- LA Galaxy II scored three goals on a Colorado Springs team that was tied for league’s lowest GAA (0.50).
- LA Galaxy members Jose Villarreal, Bradford Jamieson IV, Dan Kennedy, Leonardo, Ariel Lassiter, Raul Mendiola, Dave Romney all participated in the match.
- Tonight was the second of three games in eight days for Galaxy II after a 2-0 win at Rio Grande Valley FC on April 30. They’ll next have Sacramento Republic FC for the first of four 2016 matchups with the Northern California rival. The two sides will kick off at 7:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, May 7 at StubHub Center Track & Field Center. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.