LA Galaxy II (5-2-5, 20 points) earned a 4-1 win over Arizona United SC Saturday night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium behind two goals each from Jack McBean and Ryo Fujii. McBean’s two tallies increase his 2016 total to 11, the most of any player in the league, while Fujii tallied his second and third goals of the year.
Los Dos opened the goal scoring in the 20th minute to take the lead behind a tally from Ryo Fujii, his second of the season. Jack McBean found space in the center of the pitch before turning towards goal and slicing a pass through to Fujii. The midfielder calmly collected the pass, squared up and fired a right-footed shot past Arizona goalkeeper Carl Wozcynski.
Just minutes later, Galaxy II doubled the score behind USL goal leader Jack McBean, who scored his 10th of the year. McBean earned a foul on the edge of the 18 before firing his free kick around the Arizona wall of defenders and into the far corner of the net.
The home side weren’t finished scoring in the first half, making the score 3-0 in the 34th minute as Fujii scored his second. Jose Villarreal won a ball outside the 18 that fell to an oncoming Fujii, who fired the ball into the upper corner of the net with one touch from 30 yards.
In the second half, Arizona United was able to cute the lead within two goals when Long Tan converted a penalty off of a handball from Los Dos’ Villarreal. LA Galaxy II put the game out of reach when Jack McBean buried a free-kick cross from Jaime Villarreal with minutes left to make the score 4-1 as Galaxy II took all three points.
The win brings Galaxy II to 20 points on the year, within one point of first place in the USL Western Conference standings.
Next, LA Galaxy II will travel north for a match against California rivals Sacramento Republic FC at Bonney Field on Saturday, June 4, at 8 p.m. PT. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.
LA – Ryo Fujii (Assisted by Jack McBean) 20’
LA – Jack McBean 23’
LA – Ryo Fujii (Assisted by Jose Villarreal) 34’
AZ – Long Tang (penalty) 75’
LA – Jack McBean (Assisted by Jaime Villarreal) 86’
LA Galaxy II Starting XI: Clement Diop; Nathan Smith, Lee Nishanian, Dave Romney, Josh Turnley; Jose Villarreal (Oscar Sorto 84’), Jaime Villarreal, Ryo Fujii (Jeffrey Payeras 90’), Raul Mendiola; Ethan Zubak (Adonis Amaya 65’), Jack McBean ©.
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, John Neeskens, Kainoa Bailey, Adrian Vera.
- LA Galaxy II (5-2-5, 20 points) earned a 4-1 win over Arizona United SC Saturday night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- LA continue to lead USL in goals scored. They’ve scored 25 goals in 12 games.
- LA Galaxy players Clement Diop, Dave Romney, Jose Villarreal and Oscar Sorto all featured in the 18-man roster Saturday night.
- Midfielder Ryo Fujii scored his second and third goals of the season Saturday night, opening the game in the 20th minute before scoring again in the 34th minute.
- Forward Jack McBean tallied a goal and an assist in the first half, giving him 11 goals and two assists on the season.
- McBean scored again in the second half. He leads all players USL in scoring on the season with 11 goals.
- Next, LA Galaxy II will travel north for a match against California rivals Sacramento Republic FC at Bonney Field on Saturday, June 4, at 8 p.m. PT.
- For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.