LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 1, Sacramento Republic FC 1
Bonney Field (Sacramento, Calif.)
Sept. 17, 2016 – 7:30 p.m. PT
2016 USL Regular Season
LA Galaxy II (11-7-11, 44 points) earned a 1-1 draw on the road at Bonney Field against USL Western Conference leaders Sacramento Republic FC (13-6-10, 49 points) behind a first-half goal from forward Ethan Zubak. LA are now 4-5-6 away from home this season and have earned three points from their four matches against Republic FC on the year.
With the result, Los Dos sit in fourth place in Western Conference standings with just one game remaining in the 2016 USL Regular Season. Galaxy II will determine their playoff matchup following their result on Saturday, Sept. 24 when they take on Real Monarchs SLC at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
Los Dos opened the scoring just minutes before the end of the first half behind a goal from the Academy product Zubak, who tallied his second of the season. On the left side, Jose Villarreal let the ball run by him before to round the Sacramento defender and cross in a ball to Zubak. The Galaxy forward took a perfectly-placed, one-touch back heel to slide the shot past the Republic FC goalkeeper and give LA Galaxy II the lead.
Villarreal’s assist was his fifth of the year, the most of any Galaxy II player this season. The score remained the only one of the half as Los Dos went into the break with a 1-0 lead.
Things got testy in second half action as four yellow cards were handed out in the final 45 minutes, including a hard challenge against Jaime Villarreal in the 73rd minute. Just minutes later, Los Dos went down to 10 men after a challenge from Byram Rebellon saw the midfielder pick up his second yellow card of the evening.
The home side pushed forward to take advantage of the 10-man visitors and eventually broke through in the 80th minute. Clement Diop parried away a long-distance shot from Sacramento, but his save was punched wide to the path of an oncoming Wilson Kneeshaw, who slotted home to equal the score.
LA Galaxy II stood firm on defense for the final 10 minutes of the match, absorbing heavy pressure from Republic FC. Los Dos held on to keep the hosts out of the net and earn a point on the road.
LA Galaxy II will host supporters for Fan Appreciation Night when they play their final regular season home game at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24 when they take on Real Monarchs SLC at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. More information about the event, click here.
LA – Ethan Zubak (Assisted by Jose Villarreal, Josh Turnley) 44’
SAC – Wilson Kneeshaw 80’
LA Galaxy II: Clement Diop; Nathan Smith, Bradley Diallo, Jefrey Payeras, Josh Turnley; Denzel Slager, Jaime Villarreal ©, Bryam Rebellon, Jose Villarreal (Bradford Jamieson IV 62’); Adonis Amaya (Ariel Lassiter 60’), Ethan Zubak (Alejandro Covarrubias 76’).
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Oscar Sorto, Hugo Arellano, Lee Nishanian
- LA Galaxy II (11-7-11, 44 points) earned a 1-1 draw on the road at Bonney Field against USL Western Conference leaders Sacramento Republic FC (13-6-10, 49 points) behind a first-half goal from forward Ethan Zubak.
- LA are now 4-5-6 away from home this season and have earned three points from their four matches against Republic FC this season.
- Ariel Lassiter is LA Galaxy II’s active leading goal scorer (8). He’s scored in five goals in his last seven appearances for Los Dos.
- LA Galaxy II are now 1-8-3 against Sacramento Republic FC all-time. In 2016, Los Dos are 0-1-3 against Sacramento.
- Los Dos lead the Western Conference in goals scored (49).
- 15 players have scored for LA Galaxy II in 2016, tied with Sacramento for most of any Western Conference team.
- Jose Villarreal tallied his fifth assist of the season, the most of any Galaxy II player this year.
- Jaime Villarreal and Josh Turnley are tied for second on the team with four assists.
LA Galaxy II will host Fan Appreciation Night during the team’s final home match of the 2016 USL Regular Season. On Saturday, Sept. 24, Los Dos will celebrate their fans and their support this year during a special night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Fan Appreciation Night will feature numerous giveaways, including LA Galaxy II branded t-shirts and other exclusive items courtesy of Alcatel, Bare Republic, Herbalife Nutrition and Chick-fil-A. Additionally, LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo will personally address the fans postgame and fans will have an opportunity to win warm-up jerseys off an LA Galaxy II player’s back. Tickets to the match are available for purchase here.