Sebastian Lletget opened the scoring just five minutes in. US captain Michael Bradley doubled the lead midway through the first half with a daisy-cutter from distance, and Clint Dempsey scored five minutes later to extend the lead. Christian Pulisic piled it on directly off the second half kickoff, before Dempsey notched his second of the night a few minutes later, and completed his hat trick with a free kick goal.
- 5' – USA – Sebastian Lletget
- 27' – USA – Michael Bradley
- 32' – USA – Clint Dempsey
- 46' – USA – Christian Pulisic
- 49' – USA – Clint Dempsey
- 54' – USA – Clint Dempsey
- GOALS, GOALS, GOALS: The hosts scored early and often, and it was the kind of slump-busting win they needed to get back in the Hex. There was Lletget's debut goal for the national team, Pulisic with a goal and two assists (plus a hand in setting up another goal) and then Dempsey's hat trick in his return to the national team after being sidelined last year with a heart ailment. Not only did the performance feel cathartic, but it was a historically good night in the Hex for the US with their biggest-ever win in the qualifying round.
- THE ROAD AHEAD: The result moves the US up two spots in the Hex, to fourth place. It was a necessary result in what was effectively a must-win game, and now the Americans can leapfrog their next opponent, Panama, if they grab a road win on Tuesday (10 pm ET, beIN Sports, Follow on the MLS App).
- INJURY CONCERNS: In spite of the good vibes for the USMNT on the night, Lletget was forced out minutes after his goal with an ankle injury, and starting defender John Brooks was forced off late. While the latter's status was called dehydration on the FS1 broadcast, Bruce Arena and the team will hope neither player is out for long after making big impacts against Honduras.
- USA: Tuesday, March 28 – at Panama (10 pm ET | beIN Sports)
- HON: Tuesday, March 28 – vs Costa Rica (5 pm ET